Windows Vista Service Pack 1 RTM Discussion Thread

elec999

Limp Gawd
I installed Vista RTM SP1, so far my system seems a bit smoother. But file copying is still slow, and usb stuff is alot slower in Vista then XP. I run some portable utilities from my USB key, which turn on alot faster in XP but take for ever in VISTA. Only thing I like about Vista is that Windows Blinds makes it look alot better then XP.
Thanks

I like how SuperFetch in Vista preloads your frequently used apps and they insta-load from RAM instead of having to load from disk (slow) like in XP.

Performance features explained.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031763119&postcount=14

Basically, my only issue with Vista is copying files to/from remote computers/file servers/etc.

Here is my test - copy an .iso of Win2k3 Server R2 x64 (528MB) from the remote file share to my local PC over 100mbit network connection

Before SP1 RC1:
1. Depress right mouse button and hold on .iso. Drag from network location to my desktop. (takes ~8 seconds for the icon of the .iso to even move to my desktop)
2. Release right mouse button. (2 second pause) Context menu pops up -> choose copy.
3. ~45 second delay while "time remaining" is calculated.
4. Bar slowly starts filling up. Estimate peaks at 6 minutes. Actual time from depressing right mouse button until file is copied to my desktop: 7 minutes - 10.06 MBPS

After SP1 RC1:
1. Depress right mouse button and hold on .iso. Drag from network location to my desktop. (icon INSTANTLY appears under my cursor and moves to the desktop with no delay)
2. Release right mouse button. Context menu INSTANTLY pops up -> choose copy.
3. No delay - bar immediately jumps to ~5% complete and continues to copy while revising estimate. Initial estimate of "55 seconds" appears within 1 second of start of test.
4. Bar slowly starts filling up. Estimate continues to decline normally. Actual time from depressing right mouse button until file is copied to my desktop: 56 seconds - 75.42 MBPS

I haven't tested anything else yet, but as long as SuperFetch still works as well as it did in RTM, I'll be happy :D

As far as your specific issues with Vista:
1. Unisntall any 3rd party apps that may not be Vista ready - particularly anything that promises to help performance.
2. Try disabling UAC
3. I would recommend upgrading to 2GB RAM if you haven't
4. That's a pretty high OC you're running. I would recommend scaling back to 333MHz FSB or 400MHz FSB to see if your sluggishness issues disappear.
5. If you have more issues with Vista performance being abnormally slow, I would open a new thread detailing more specific symptoms that you are encountering.

Back