Windows Vista a.k.a Longhorn is Screwing it off for Beloved OpenGL!!!!

Enduring_Warrior

[H]ard|Gawd
Doom3 anyone?Maybe some Quake 4. What about Call of Duty or any other game developed on the engines made by Id. Software. Well It looks like the upcoming windows is gonna make an attempt to take out OpenGL out of bussines for gaming purposes by making a more beautiful enviromento but lowering the prority of the OpenGL API.

Microsoft's current plan for OpenGL on Windows Vista is to layer OpenGL over Direct3D in order to use OpenGL with a composited desktop to obtain the Aero experience. If an OpenGL ICD is run - the desktop compositor will switch off - significantly degrading the user experience.

It would be technically straightforward to provide an OpenGL ICD within the full Aero experience without compromising the stability or the security of the operating system. Layering OpenGL over Direct3D is a policy decision more than a technical decision.

Note: this is only a first beta of Vista, so this decision is not set in stone. Write to your preferred software developer (Alias, UGS, Autodesk, Softimage, Dassault Systemes, PTC, SolidWorks, Maxon, TGS, Lightwave, Multigen, etc.), hardware developer and video card manufacturer (e.g. 3Dlabs, ATI, Intel, Matrox, NVIDIA, SIS HP, Dell, Leenovo) and tell them to bring this up with Microsoft. This will be the most effective action you can take. Don't be passive - send those emails and keep the topic in the foreground

Go to OPENGL to find out more. :mad:

Flak Monkey said:
There are lots of these threads, this is a repost.

Didnt know bout that, figured being this site what it is, that could be rally factible, anyway I posted .

Flak Monkey said:
There are lots of these threads, this is a repost.
I havent seen it yet, not a repost to me :p

This is slightly sad news, but I'll bet there will be some way around it..

Enduring_Warrior said:
Well It looks like the upcoming windows is gonna make an attempt to take out OpenGL

From what I can tell OpenGL support won't be that much different than it is today.

I’m not an expert when it comes to OpenGL or DirectX, however there was a discussion over at Ars on this very thing. That discussion included several people that are familiar with OpenGL and Vista, including at least one person from Microsoft. It’s a good read and clears up a lot of misinformation:
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/48409524/m/238008574731

Everyone is over reacting. There is going to be no difference when running any OpenGL software UNLESS you have both the new Vista eyecandy turned on AND you're running an OpenGL application/game in windowed mode. When it's in full screen or when the eyecandy is turned off, it'll be just like Windows XP or even better since Vista ships with OpenGL 1.4 where as XP shipped with 1.1

Kris said:
Everyone is over reacting. There is going to be no difference when running any OpenGL software UNLESS you have both the new Vista eyecandy turned on AND you're running an OpenGL application/game in windowed mode. When it's in full screen or when the eyecandy is turned off, it'll be just like Windows XP or even better since Vista ships with OpenGL 1.4 where as XP shipped with 1.1
ç

IF what you say its treu then it isnt so bad but the version is no matter the OpenGL support comes now with the video card drivers and not the OS.

OH NOES! :rolleyes:

So id will have to learn to recode a couple things. Whoopty doo.

Maybe while they're at it they'll learn how to design a game too.

Im pretty sure they mean windows own dog slow implementation of opengl. You will be using nvidia/atis implementation in pretty much every circumstance. So you cant spin an opengl window, horror. If a developer really wanted you to be able spin a window they could still render into a image and wrap that into directx or the winapi to get the same effect.

Back