Windows Verisons After Vista...

NovaCloud

Gawd
So now that we all now Vista has hit RTM, I have been wondering what Microsoft has up next for their future OS development.. I can't really find much but this article http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=192501131 which kinda shows where they might be heading with their operating system.. but does anyone know anything more about Windows Codename "Figi" or Codename "Vienna"?? Other then the codenames i can't seem to find any more relavent info.. Thnx in advance...

Well by the sounds of some rumors the next OS will be much more modular. So I have a feeling the Monolythic Kernel structure might be at the end of its days.

Vienna is Vista SP1. It'll have the same kernel (NT 6.1) as Longhorn Server. I have no idea what "Figi" is.

I downloaded a video a while back (~6mo) that showed 2 developers at Microsoft talking about what's after vista. They called it Simplicity. Unlike Vista, it's all new code (instead of WinXP with lines added here and there). So yeah, you guys can search under that if you want. I'm not sure what's it's projected release date....

crazjayz said:
Unlike Vista, it's all new code (instead of WinXP with lines added here and there).
I bet you'll probably get some question on that line there.

I thought Vista is supposed to be new code and modular? I seem to remember reading an article that said they scrapped Vista development at one point and went back and made it a modular OS.

Gatticus said:
I thought Vista is supposed to be new code and modular? I seem to remember reading an article that said they scrapped Vista development at one point and went back and made it a modular OS.

Clearly, because some guy on the internet told you otherwise, he must be right and Microsoft must be wrong.

Five years of development to add "a few lines of code" - must mean they wrote Vista in a day, and the past few years have been straight debugging.

I know this will never happen, but I kinda wish Windows would go back to being a shell over an OS instead of being an entire OS. Wouldn't want it over old DOS any more of course, but BSD or Linux would be nice. Instead of having different version of Windows, people could just download/purchase packages to gain the functionality they desire. It would never happen of course, becasue they would have to eat far too much crow to do so, but it's a pleasant thought.

I'm hoping they call the version after Vista Windows STFU!
Don't like the fact that IE and Media Player are integrated - STFU
Don't like the fact that we have 90% of the market - STFU
Want to try to sue us just because we have 100 billion dollars - STFU

:D

Langford said:
I know this will never happen, but I kinda wish Windows would go back to being a shell over an OS instead of being an entire OS. Wouldn't want it over old DOS any more of course, but BSD or Linux would be nice. Instead of having different version of Windows, people could just download/purchase packages to gain the functionality they desire. It would never happen of course, becasue they would have to eat far too much crow to do so, but it's a pleasant thought.

I agree...

It won't ever happen. :p

Anyway, in then next version, maybe they'll finally decide to try something new for the UI? Aeroglass doesn't count, that's just making an existing UI look cooler. I mean something completely different. I think they have the abillity to make something much more efficient and easy. Maybe replace the Start Menu with a box where you just type in whatever it is you want to do ("internet", for example, would open IE). Also, when you save files, you can give them "access tags" so that, when you type those tags into the box, the file opens. No more searching through folders or waiting for lengthy searches to find the file you're looking for!

The question is, when will users be ready to make the switch from the old start button/taskbar/desktop interface that's been around since the beginning of widespread Internet?

Back