Windows updates ain't all that bad.....

ManofGod

[H]F Junkie
Just saying, a couple of cumulative updates were ready to be installed, 10 minutes after I booted my computer up. Well, I saw the icon, restarted my computer, went to the bathroom and got more coffee and was able to use my computer when I got back. No, Windows updates does not take many, many hours to install.

I haven't had any issues with updates (big or small) in a couple years. That doesn't mean that nobody has, but my recent experiences have been positive.
In my office the IT guys haven't been scrambling around trying to fix or undo updates either.

I haven't had any issues with updates (big or small) in a couple years. That doesn't mean that nobody has, but my recent experiences have been positive.
In my office the IT guys haven't been scrambling around trying to fix or undo updates either.

Well, folks will have update issues from time to time on any OS, just saying. Yeah, I cannot recall the last time I had an issue with a Windows updates, except when I was on the Insider Builds. I have had issues with Ubuntu updates where they would not download nor install but then the fixed themselves all on their own, without any action on my part.

Yes, let’s ignore the many who have problems and dislike the intrusive behavior of windows updates because one experience went well.

Yes, let’s ignore the many who have problems and dislike the intrusive behavior of windows updates because one experience went well.

Yes, let's equate something working well as totally ignoring any problems.:rolleyes:

Its a huge improvement over what it used to be. Early Windows 10 updates were invasive and didn't give you much in terms of control. Now I get a nice icon in my system tray letting me know that they are ready to install. If I want to wait off and see how stable they are before I install, I can delay them a while. I really don't have any issues with the way updates are handled now.

I'm also in the camp of if you have a system its should be up to date, within reason.

How is the new update system intrusive? You can delay feature updates an entire year. You can delay security updates for a month, which is more than enough. I hear a lot of people say "My computer rebooted all on its own while I was right in the middle of a critically important task" and I just laugh. If you are using a system for something so important, maybe you should take a moment to install updates on it so a forced reboot (after a year of ignoring updates) wouldn't happen.

The only Windows 10 update "issue" I've had recently is that it would NOT install the 1909 feature update on any computer that didn't have the 11/19 cumulative security update installed yet, even though those computers were already giving the 1909 update as an option. So on every computer, I had to install the 11/19 update, reboot, install the 1909 feature update, reboot. It meant I couldn't update all of the computers overnight in a single night. Then a few days later the 12/19 cumulative update came out...

At least the 1909 update did not require new sound card drivers for all of my creative sound cards like past feature updates have done.

I just don't like the cumulative aspect. Hey, I get it......someone didn't like the "94 updates due" and having to wait for them all to install separately, but it was real nice to be able to remove the ONE update causing an issue.

Can't do that now. I've had to uninstall and block a rollup for a single persistent issue.

I remember back in the day raiding with 39 others in World of Warcraft, everyone would get the update notification. There'd be chatter, then a pause, then 39 others all saying some variant of for fucks sake at once as their windows were minimized.

Back