Windows update will no longer force random reboots

Pieter3dnow

Supreme [H]ardness
It seems at Microsoft they are doing miracle work these days :)

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/43005-windows-10-will-stop-randomly-re-booting-on-updates

In the upcoming Creators Update, Vole has introduced some new options to prevent annoying reboots.

John Cable, Microsoft's Windows director of programme management admitted it had rather a lot of feedback from customers who wanted more control over when Windows 10 installs updates,.

"We also heard that unexpected reboots are disruptive if they happen at the wrong time."

Let's hope this feature makes it into a retail version :)

Why can't they realize they made a mistake and just allow people to turn off autoupdates and install them when they want? That is how I have been doing it since forever and have never been hit by malware.

Windows 10 never did random reboots, if you left it at defaults it would apply updates at 3:00am or

1. when you shut down
2. when you told it to
3. If you IGNORED it for an extended amount of up time, them it would force a reboot...

I have 7 windows 10 devices and never had one just randomly update and reboot

"We also heard that unexpected reboots are disruptive if they happen at the wrong time."

lol...really? They needed to hear that unexpected reboots are disruptive.

hahaha GTFO MS you're drunk.

Windows 10 never did random reboots, if you left it at defaults it would apply updates at 3:00am or

1. when you shut down
2. when you told it to
3. If you IGNORED it for an extended amount of up time, them it would force a reboot...

I can assure you, if you're the kind of person that leaves your PC running for extended periods of time and don't have the courtesy to check with big brother under notification centre to see what time Microsoft decided to update your PC and you run beyond the 12hr (varies between Home and Pro) usage window - Windows 10 will have no problem whatsoever rebooting as soon as that time is reached, doesn't matter what you're doing, that reboot will happen.

What you have to do is be thoughtful and courteous, check the notification centre in order to check in with Microsoft and see if it's OK for you to use your PC.

Oh, and be sure to avoid using your PC between the hours of your chosen update period or you may loose important data. Once again, best to consult the owners of your PC.

I can assure you, if you're the kind of person that leaves your PC running for extended periods of time and don't have the courtesy to check with big brother under notification centre to see what time Microsoft decided to update your PC and you run beyond the 12hr (varies between Home and Pro) usage window - Windows 10 will have no problem whatsoever rebooting as soon as that time is reached, doesn't matter what you're doing, that reboot will happen.

What you have to do is be thoughtful and courteous, check the notification centre in order to check in with Microsoft and see if it's OK for you to use your PC.

Oh, and be sure to avoid using your PC between the hours of your chosen update period or you may loose important data. Once again, best to consult the owners of your PC.

My main problem was always with the fact you'd go to reboot and not have a "reboot without updating option". It's annoying to need to reboot during the day for something driver related and being forced to apply updates.

Happened 4 days in a row with quite a few failed updates (needing another rollback reboot, so it would end up taking 15 minutes) in the middle of a busy project .. so much so, that I found a utility to nuke the updater. I've been at peace for many months.

My main problem was always with the fact you'd go to reboot and not have a "reboot without updating option". It's annoying to need to reboot during the day for something driver related and being forced to apply updates.

Happened 4 days in a row with quite a few failed updates (needing another rollback reboot, so it would end up taking 15 minutes) in the middle of a busy project .. so much so, that I found a utility to nuke the updater. I've been at peace for many months.
a way around that it to ctrl-alt-del and then the power button there has reboot/power down with out updating.

a way around that it to ctrl-alt-del and then the power button there has reboot/power down with out updating.

The problem is that you have no idea an update is pending and ctrl-alt-deleting every time you want to quickly reboot gets old very quickly.

it tells you if it has an update waiting when you go to the normal shutdown button. so if you see it there, hit c-a-d and reboot from there until your done. its really not that big of a deal. it doesn't just reboot automatically anymore(never has for me) without a lot of warnings. even outside the set "prime time" it still doesnt just auto restart without warning unless the system is totally idle.
you really do work hard at spreading the windows hate... :rolleyes:

Remember when you just turned your computer off? There wasn't even a shutdown button. OSs were installed and didn't update themselves. You updated it yourself from boot. Pepperidge Farm remembers...

it tells you if it has an update waiting when you go to the normal shutdown button. so if you see it there, hit c-a-d and reboot from there until your done. its really not that big of a deal. it doesn't just reboot automatically anymore(never has for me) without a lot of warnings. even outside the set "prime time" it still doesnt just auto restart without warning unless the system is totally idle.

I don't spread Windows hate, I state the facts without blowing wind up the arse of MS.

You don't need to be using the PC to make forced updating outside of the hours allotted for you to use your PC impractical, you can be downloading a large file, rendering, doing any number of things that tie up a PC for extended periods of time making the lack of control over Windows updates coupled with forced updating hours hugely impractical.

If you don't notice the update reminder or ignore it as updating at the time imposed on you is somehow impractical, eventually Windows will force the update no matter whether the PC is in use or not.

Remember when you just turned your computer off? There wasn't even a shutdown button. OSs were installed and didn't update themselves. You updated it yourself from boot. Pepperidge Farm remembers...
Oh the golden days. Switch on the right side of the computer. Flick off, flick on and near instantly you could use the computer again.

Do it too fast though and the computer never woke up again. Don't ask me how I know.

It really isn't hard to spread any MS hate. It comes pretty easily.

I am glad they are stopping this. I am not sure why they thought it was a good idea in the first place, like most of their decisions they make for us with our OS.

1. when you shut down
2. when you told it to

Random is another word for unknown. Everything can be predicted if you know the details ahead of time. There is no such thing as random or chaos in the purest sense.

Coming to your computer one morning and finding it on a blank desktop with all the your shit you been working on for several days completely gone is considered "random" to most people.

I never had that option with Enterprise. BUT, in the latest build I did see it's now in the start menu power options.

I went to reboot yesterday and was greeted with:

- Reboot and Update
- Reboot
- Shutdown and Update
- Shutdown

My jaw damn near hit the desk.

I never had that option with Enterprise. BUT, in the latest build I did see it's now in the start menu power options.

- Reboot and Update
- Reboot
- Shutdown and Update
- Shutdown

My OCDness is killing me that it is not called "Update and xx". the updates happens first... this is out of order GAAAAHHHH......

Oh the golden days. Switch on the right side of the computer. Flick off, flick on and near instantly you could use the computer again.

Do it too fast though and the computer never woke up again. Don't ask me how I know.

Do it fast enough and it doesn't turn off.... we did that as a competition among friends. :D

- Reboot and Update
- Reboot
- Shutdown and Update
- Shutdown

Same here. I didn't think MS would do this, especially with how aggressive they are in wanting you to be "updated"

Back