Windows update killed my pc

Motley

2[H]4U
I just updated my gaming pc with the latest Win 10 anniversary update, and it killed it. Won't boot now, just freezes on boot screen.

Tried everything and I can't even restore it from previous versions. WTF? It can't find a system image to restore, no recovery options work.

Now I have to try and re-install. Friggen Microshit with their updates. I'm pissed off right now.

It's broken at least three of my clients' computers as well. One would consistently blue screen, another never finished the update and would just display the spinning dots, another had a bunch of weird shit going on where the start menu wouldn't open and every app and program gave a DLL error.

Rollbacks worked for all of them, but it is pretty lame. I'm not a fan of this new updating method where it's a big ordeal and would gladly go back to the monthly updates and a rare service pack or two.

I've had similar things happen with almost every OS...Even Ubuntu! Updates break stuff sometimes, I don't think this is unique to Microsoft or W10.

I've had similar things happen with almost every OS...Even Ubuntu! Updates break stuff sometimes, I don't think this is unique to Microsoft or W10.

Sure, but I would argue it's a lot more common with W10 due to how these large updates are done. They're not just tiny patches anymore, they're whole new builds that touch just about everything during the update.

Sure, but I would argue it's a lot more common with W10 due to how these large updates are done. They're not just tiny patches anymore, they're whole new builds that touch just about everything during the update.

Well, the "Anniversary Update" is really just "Service Pack 1". It IS a new way of doing things though. Rather than wait for a whole new version of Windows to get new features or capabilities, they'll roll out continuously as they're finished. It's nice for the users because we get those new things sooner, but it is bound to cause a few hiccups.

I don't know if there's enough evidence to say it's more common though, there's been plenty of bad update problems in older versions of Windows as well, even back to the Windows 3.11 days.

More common than Win7, in my experience, is all I can say. ;) W7 had one service pack in its entire lifespan and we're already at two for W10 (builds 1511 and 1607) after a year. On my personal machine, the first one caused me to do a complete reinstall, and the second broke all of my drivers.

I'm not about to hop on the Win10 hate bandwagon; I like it fine and use it myself. But it has caused a lot of headaches for myself and other folks and I can understand the frustration.

Last edited:
More common than Win7, in my experience, is all I can say. ;)

I'm not about to hop on the Win10 hate bandwagon; I like it fine and use it myself. But it has caused a lot of headaches for myself and other folks and I can understand the frustration.

I know where you're coming from. I just remember the Windows 7 hate was strong when it came out. And the Windows XP hate was also strong. It definitely does suck when some update causes you hours of unnecessary work though. Especially when it's some update that doesn't even apply to your system.

So did you resolve the issue yet? If not, try resetting BIOS settings to optimized defaults first then try. Make sure your boot order is correct in the BIOS also.

I know where you're coming from. I just remember the Windows 7 hate was strong when it came out. And the Windows XP hate was also strong. It definitely does suck when some update causes you hours of unnecessary work though. Especially when it's some update that doesn't even apply to your system.

Thing is, people don't hate Win10 as an OS. They hate the bullshit that Microsoft added to the OS.

Thing is, people don't hate Win10 as an OS. They hate the bullshit that Microsoft added to the OS.

I'm not a fan of some of the information-gathering myself. Or the ads or "recommendations" injected into the alerts.

Unplug all USB devices, etc, I had the strangest experience, I had to 'reset my pc' and when it went to rebuild itself it hung at a black screen with a spinning logo. Removing the Logitech wifi adapter solved it. Can't believe that brought it to its knees lol... Anyway it's all good now.

I am not trying to rub salt in your wound, but buying a backup program, making an image, and creating a bootable disk or USB to reload the OS is a must. You have to practice doing it a few times to get the feel. When something like this happens its a non- issue and you just reload the SSD or HD you use.

Buy a $20 USB kit to connect the hard drive to a working computer to copy your data off of it.
Then use the latest ISO image from Microsoft to do a clean install.

I had a problem with the upgrade from Win-7 to Win-10 on several laptops for a good customer.
All of them would blue screen at bootup and roll back left Win-7 unstable.

A fresh Win-10 install from ISO image fixed all but one of them.

If you restore an image of a hosed up system, it may very well stay hosed up until a clean install.

I found a funny issue since the update. FireFox completely crashes and resets my HTPC with an event id 41 r/t kernel power after 2 mintues of usage. Edge and Chrome work flawless. I opened YouTube which was what I had on at the time of the crashes and played the same video in both browsers and it was fine. Strange FireFox bug.

I am not trying to rub salt in your wound, but buying a backup program, making an image, and creating a bootable disk or USB to reload the OS is a must. You have to practice doing it a few times to get the feel. When something like this happens its a non- issue and you just reload the SSD or HD you use.

Bugger buying a backup program, use Clonezilla! One of the best bootable imaging packages out there.

Nope no resolution. Non of the restore options worked. I tried everything, I mean everything possible to restore.

I ended up having to format and reinstall my Windows 8.1 OEM key. Then upgraded back to Win 10. HUGE pain in the ass. Luckily I had my important data on another drive.

Nope no resolution. Non of the restore options worked. I tried everything, I mean everything possible to restore.

I ended up having to format and reinstall my Windows 8.1 OEM key. Then upgraded back to Win 10. HUGE pain in the ass. Luckily I had my important data on another drive.

If you were already activated with 10, all you had to do was install the current build with the Anniversary update in it and when it prompts for a key, don't put anything in, then let it install and it will automatically activate.

Clonezilla's pretty dope.

What Zepher said.

Unplug all USB devices, etc, I had the strangest experience, I had to 'reset my pc' and when it went to rebuild itself it hung at a black screen with a spinning logo. Removing the Logitech wifi adapter solved it. Can't believe that brought it to its knees lol... Anyway it's all good now.
An seemingly innocuous USB device causing a hang on an image restore or OS installation is more common then people realize. That's really good advice to unplug all USB devices.

Back