Windows update - Kernel-Mode Driver Framework version 1.11 failed

I have a new build using Windows 7 HP SP1 64-bit which has been up and running for about a month. MS updates for 11/14/12 included the Kernel-Mode Driver Framework version 1.11 for Win 7. This update failed to install (several times), even when done alone. First time since building system where it has failed an update. Only thing I have added since original build is a EVGA GTX 650 video card (last week). Anyone else experience this problem or know what the error code below indicates?

win_update_error_111412.jpg

not with that particular update, but there have been times where I've manually downloaded the exe and installed it without issue, when it continually failed via Windows Update.

Do you think your error is related to this person's?

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1728261

Both of you have had issues with Windows Update from the most recent Tuesday update. And, both of you have an Nvidia based GPU. It's probably worth looking into the driver updates for the card.
Thanks for the reply but I don't think our issues are related. I'm just unable to install the update at all. The post below yours had a link that might have identified my problem. See my response to it.

Thanks for the reply and the link. It actually isn't that relative to my problem except for one important paragraph:
Cause: This can occur if WMI is unable to access the TEMP and/or TMP location, either because of permissions or because the path is invalid.

I'm using a RAM drive to store System and User Temp files and also IE and Firefox caches. I think the problem might be that the install for this update is trying to load files into the default Windows Temp folder but cannot find it because the path has changed. Does that seem like a reasonable cause for the install failure? As stated, it is only for that particular update,all the others installed OK. I didn't set up the RAM drive until after the Oct updates so never had an issue with them.

OK, that turned out to be the problem. Because I was storing the System and User Temp files on a RAM drive, the update couldn't install because the path to the Temp files was wrong. I disabled using the RAM drive for storing the above Temp files and the update installed without incident.

Thanks to those who replied.

I have a similar issue as the OP, but do not use a RAM drive (one OS, one storage drive; both physical).

Frustrating as I have attempted a couple of fixes that fail to resolve issue.

Any ideas? TIA

error.jpg

Last edited:
I have tried clean boot, multiple MS Fix Its, deleting the update log via command prompt. This is very frustrating as system restarts every night. All other updates successfully installing (manually). Multiple Malwarebytes Pro and MS Security Essentials scans with no issues found. Update installs successfully initially, but then fails upon reboot.
Any ideas??
Update for Kernel-Mode Driver Framework version 1.11 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2685811)

Installation date: ‎11/‎26/‎2012 5:32 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 800700C1

Update type: Recommended

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2685811

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

Back