windows update fails to install

Pipo

Gawd
My parents picked up some kind of virus yesterday that was loading up the pc with a ton of popups pretending to be Windows Anti Virus (wav.exe) and urging them to activate the program for $70 to get rid of the "virus" it found (what a deal right?). I ended up using the Dell cd it came with and just reformatting.

After installing the service packs and NOD32, I went back to windows update to get the last of the updates it shows, most of them have to do with Windows Media Player 11 and one of them is for Internet Explorer. I click on install and it immediately tells me that they all failed to install. I tried to download and install them individually and it still fails. I have no clue how to get it to finish updating. I don't want to leave any vulnerabilities on this pc after it got hosed this weekend. Doe anyone have any suggestions?

Your help is appreciated.

Oh one more thing! The language bar keeps popping up on the task bar after restart even after disabling it. What gives? :confused:

When you go to the original windows update site that's defaulted in the program menu of XP and earlier Windows....did you upgrade to the newer Microsoft Update using the button you see available on that screen? It will install the newer and improved version.

Back