\windows\system32\config error- can anyone help?

rage4order

Gawd
My brother's getting this error that the file is missing or corrupted. Can anyone give me some good instructions on how to repair this? I've found a couple of webistes, even the Microsoft one, but none have helped. Anyone have a good fix?

You're brother is getting this error.... when? Doing what? In a Windows error message?

...you can see now how you didn't give nearly enough information for anyone to help. :)

When he starts up he gets this message: "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system .

Boot the XP install disk and follow the instructions for a repair. Been awhile since I did that but it should be relatively straight forward.

Boot the XP install disk and follow the instructions for a repair. Been awhile since I did that but it should be relatively straight forward.
Yeah, done that. I get to the recovery console and to the DOS prompts but nothing works from there.

Not a good one...that one, and the hive....yuck.

Can try chkdsk.....doing a repair install sometimes can work....guessing safe mode 'n system restore isn't functioning..but see if you can do a manual restoration of your XP system restore files.

Back