Windows Small Business Server Licenses Question

sdotbrucato

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay, I'm looking to do a complete IT overhaul of a small family owned plumbing shop. I've come to the conclusion that their "Server" running Windows XP Pro needs to be outfitted with Small Business Server so I can use some of the tools to help maintain and increase productivity.

Since I work at Best Buy part time, I went to the "Best Buy For Business" website and came across this product.

http://www.bestbuybusiness.com/bbfb/en/US/adirect/bestbuy?cmd=catProductDetail&showAddButton=true&productID=BB10168003

Now it says that their is "1 Server License" and "5 Client Licenses"

Does this mean that they are supplying me with 5 Windows XP licenses as well as a server license?

Or is it another way to say they're giving me 5 CALs?

Sorry if this seems noobish but I'm really confused.

Thanks for all and any help

-Steven

FYI those are two very different products and depending on the business needs or requirements I would tend to go with Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 (Standard or Premium) but again that depends on the business requirements. The CALs that come with SBS 2003 can be designated as device or user.

Do not under any circumstances buy the second product you linked. There is very little information available on MS website, but from what I do know, it is a stripped down version of Server 2003 Standard Edition and not anything like Small Business Server 2003

Seeing that your not sure about licensing or what product that business needs, you should really contact a local consultant or professional to do the job right the first time.

You are incorrect. The second link he posted is simply additional CALs for Small Business Server. Unlike 2003 Standard, you have to enter a license code to add additional CALS. This license code is activated on line just like standard Microsoft Product activation. You have to have a license for SBS 2003. It tracks each one that it is used. When you run out, you can't add more clients to the domain.

No, you are incorrect. The second link IS NOT for additional CALs for SBS 2003, check that sku against any of the SKUs listed on this Microsoft page and you'll see even the volume license SKUs do not match that second SKU.

- You can only have one Windows 2003 server on a SBS domain. So if you ever anticipate future growth, I don't recommend it. However, from what you have posted, it sounds ideal for you. Please note, this doesn't mean you can't add a seperate Linux / Apache etc server. You just can't add another running Windows Server 2003 to the domain.

Wrong again. You can have as many servers as you wish on an SBS domain. The SBS server must be the holder of all FSMO roles. You can make additional servers DCs and/or member servers.

- You are limited to the total number of clients you can install. I can't remember the number off the top of my head but it shouldn't effect you.

75 CALs with SBS 2003 premium

- The message store on Exchange is limited as well. I don't remember that number either but once again, you should be fine.

75GB provided you are running Service Pack 2. Microsoft upped this limitation from customer feedback.

- You need a decently beefy machine to make good use of it. It runs Exchange, IIS, Sharepoint Services, and MSDE SQL Server all on the same machine. I recommend 2GB of RAM.

While SBS does use MSDE for some functions, it does have a full version of SQL Server 2000 or SQL Server 2005 workgroup edition for R2.

If the thread starter buys the second item posted, he will receive a cardboard envelope with a license certificate and an activation key. That is it.

Wrong again. See above and below information on SKUs. The Best Buy website includes a manufacturer SKU which does not correlate with any SKUs listed on MS website for SBS 2003 CALs.

Microsoft DID make a Server 2003 product called "Microsoft Windows 2003 for Small Businesses. Checkout this prior post on the product. If you need more proof, checkout Provantage's description on that SKU. Yet another one here.

Know what your talking about before calling someone's response as wrong..;)

- You can only have one Windows 2003 server on a SBS domain. So if you ever anticipate future growth, I don't recommend it. However, from what you have posted, it sounds ideal for you. Please note, this doesn't mean you can't add a seperate Linux / Apache etc server. You just can't add another running Windows Server 2003 to the domain.

At this poit I do not see the company growing as big as it would be to require another server in the near or even near-distant future.

- You are limited to the total number of clients you can install. I can't remember the number off the top of my head but it shouldn't effect you.

From what I read, its something like 75. Which is WAY more than we'll be neeing.

- The message store on Exchange is limited as well. I don't remember that number either but once again, you should be fine.

What do you mean by this? How much space I can use for each user with Exchange?

- You need a decently beefy machine to make good use of it. It runs Exchange, IIS, Sharepoint Services, and MSDE SQL Server all on the same machine. I recommend 2GB of RAM.

Right now the server is running a fairly beefed system. A64 SocketM2 3400+ with 2GB Ram. I think it should be fine for now. I mean I can always upgrade later down the road.

- Also consider disk requirements. At least setup a RAID-1 mirror.

Already in place. But most likely will be purchasing new HDDs to be able to set up roaming profiles and such.

- For a production environment, I highly recommend buying a prebuilt server from a major OEM like Dell or HP.

Would this be neccesary still, the company is only expecting to be hosting 15-20 clients to the server?

Thanks for all the help, and hope to hear some more information.

(Also I am looking in going to talk to a professional consultant. I just want to get my research done and have a footing for when I'm talking to the consultant.

-Steven

Did you read the description of the product being offered?

"Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for Small Business - license"
" Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for Small Business - License - 5 device CALs - Open Business - English"

While I appreciate you Googling the information I had forgotten, there is no need for animosity. We merely disagree about the product listed on Best Buy's website, not about the software itself. Hardly worth getting worked up over. I know that I remember reading a few years ago about a number of servers limitation in SBS 2003. Maybe it was that you could only have one SBS server on a domain? Thanks for refreshing my memory.

I don't need to google for information I already know about SBS.

You obviously chose to disregard the fact that the SKUs do not match the additive CALs based on the Microsoft website vs the BB website SKU and you can't comprehend there is a difference between "Microsoft Small Business Server 2003" and "Windows Server 2003 for Small Business". That second link is for licenses for a *non SBS* product. The other links I provided that corrospond with BB's manf. SKU explicitly state this is NOT SBS related.

What more do you need to concede that you were wrong in your statements? Please feel free to agree to disagree, but don't think for a moment that you are correct.

Well seeing that this thread went to hell....

I'd like to thank the people that have helped.

-Stevem

Back