Windows Server Monitoring software?

ShepsCrook

[H]F Junkie
I've got a couple servers that I want to start testing this type of software with, but have never really used any monitoring software before.

I know Dell, HP and other companies have their own software, but I'm curious about other companies and what people use and like.

Not sure what you really want but Windows PerfMon can be set for logging and making reports for most anything. Also, depending on your system board, you may have hardware monitoring software that came with the hardware.

Depends on how large the company is. There is the HP OpenView line of products: Network Node Manager i, and Operations Manager, and there is also OpNet, IBM's ITM suite, and many others. We use HP NNMi and Operations Manager for UNIX as well as a mix of OpNet for Application Performance Monitoring and HP Business Availability Center.

These products are very expensive. If you're looking for something cheap / free I'd look at Zabbix, Cacti and Nagios. Zabbix being the easier of the bunch. There are a myriad of options. It just depends on the kind of scale you're looking at. Personally I've never used the open source products in large scale enterprise so I have no idea how well they scale, but the other commercial products are robust and generally well built/supported platforms for monitoring. YMMV of course. I know there are huge installations of Nagios and Cacti in the wild.

What are you trying to monitor? That might help narrow it down.

What, specifically, are you wanting to monitor on a Windows Server installation?

Back