Windows Server + Hyper-V + WHS Vail = ....

TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
An interesting project :)

First, I'd like to thank everyone who posted in my "Ok, what server should I go to...
" thread. I had a lot of options and questions I needed to get answered to set a goal, and that part is out of the way.

Now the project begins...

I decided to start a new thread to document the actual project since the design stuff is out of the way.

First, the hardware

Lian-Li V2000+ Case
Intel BadAxe-2 Motherboard
Intel E6700 C2D Processor
4GB RAM
nVidia 7800GTX Video Card
Six 1GB WD Green Drives
Intel Pro 1000/MT NIC PCI NIC Card
Intel Pro 1000/PT on-board NIC Card
PCP&C Silencer 750 Power Supply

This is basically my old main desktop from last year that was replaced with a new i7 System. It was good timing as my old faithful ABIT IT7-MAX2/P4 2.53 based server that sat in a spare bedroom closet running Server 2003 for some 5 years with zero issues, finally suffered cap-death.

Software

Server 2008 R2 Enterprise
WHS Vail Preview 1
Hyper-V

Intended Use

Backup of my main Workstation and 3 Laptops on the home network.

Streaming of Music, Movies, Pictures, etc... to everything (XBox 360, workstations, WD HD Live Plus, etc...). I plan on using the remote streaming of Vail as well, assuming it works :)

Storage of all software installers, Master Music/Video Files, etc... These are not working copies, but the Master Archives.

Remote Access.

The backup, Remote Access and streaming will be handled by Vail running under Hyper-V. Running the Remote Access through Vail in Hyper-V, with it's own segregated NIC Controller, allows me to have Remote Access without any connection to the main Home Network, keeping it out of harms way.

The Master Storage will be done via native Server 2008 R2 Shares.

All drives are singled up. No RAID. I don't think Green Drives are a good choice for RAID.

4 of the 1GB drives dedicated to Server 2008 R2 located on the On-Board Intel SATA Controller.

Two 1GB drives, which are the two located on the Marvel On-Board SATA Controller, are dedicated to Vail.

PCI Intel Pro/1000MT NIC is dedicated to the Server 2008 R2 Platform.

On-Board Intel Pro/1000PT NIC is dedicated to the Hyper-V.

I have Hyper-V configured so the two NIC's are segregated. They do not speak to each other.

There is a change from the initial plans in the original thread. I was going to use DPM 2010 for the backup system, but further research proved to me that this is a very serious product and one hell of an installation. I also learned that it is either impossible, or very difficult, to utilitze when the network workstations to be backed up are not on a Domain. Since I do not want to run a Domain Controller, I've gone to Plan B for the Backup.

The Backup will be handled by Vail, then it's release version. The current Preview uses Drive Extender 2, which we all know has been axed. Since I'm only going to use the Vail Hyper-V for backup, streaming and Remote Access it won't be a problem when the release version comes out. I'll just start over.

Server Installation

I have to start by saying Server 2008 R2 is effing brilliant. With the exception of finding a driver for the Gigabit SATA Controller, and some research on a Hyper-V issue (more on that later) I did not have to refer to any documentation, web pages, or help files.

Installed the server, then just went down the config window and took care of things in order as presented. Had no problems understanding any of it at all.

The File Server Role and Hyper-V are the only two items I have enabled as it's all I need.

That's it. The Server Install was a true non-event.

Hyper-V/Vail Setup

I've done a dry-run install of Vail, and it installed fine. I then discovered by taking the two 1GB drives I'm using for Vail offline in the Server drive manager, I could assign them as normal drives to Vail instead of using VHD's. This has got to improve performance, so I deleted the first Vail VM and I'm starting over as I write this re-installing it with the two drives attached to the VM nativelly.

Hyper-V was easy to understand, and I had no problems with one exception. When I tried to start up the first install of Vail, I got a Hyper-V warning. It then dawned on me... Oh, shit! Does this MB/Processor support the Intel hardware Virtual extensions? I don't know! This could be a deal breaker!

So I checked the BIOS, and there it was. Turned it on. Whew! That was friggin' close LOL

Brought the server back up and tried to run the VM again. Same problem! Uh, oh...

I went back to the BIOS and double-checked the setting, and while I was on it I noticed something I didn't the first time. A note on the right of the screen saying a total power-down was required for this setting to take effect. Cool. A second chance :)

Powered everything down, and powered back up. Brought up Hyper-V, and ran the Vail VM. It worked :)

That's where I am right now. More to come after Vail is installed and configured.

Oh, one more thing. For those of you beating me up over the old UPS in the previous thread (;)), I fixed that situation too. Since my Laptops have their own battery backup and shut-down services, I took the UPS from them and put it on the server. It's half the capacity, but it has USB and the PowerChute Personal software seems to be working just fine under Server 2008. I put the old Serial based UPS on the Laptops.

I show 12 minutes of backup power available, and I set the software to initiate shut-down when only 8 minutes were left. That should be plenty of time to shut down the Hyper-V, Vail and the server before everything goes dark.

Putting a lower VA ups on a server / desktop running isn't really good for a ups it will just hurt it, and put alot of load on it, moreless the UPS will fail and just shutdown all together.

In the long run it is useless, if you load it down to much it will just power off and go into protect mode.

Spend the $$ its 99$ for a 1500Va APC ups, worth every penny, and they all come with usb now :)

If your starting this build, we need pictures :)

Here is my setup last month, it has changed a bit, but you get the idea. NOTE the ups, soon i will have a rackmounted ups, haven't bought one yet because im saving the $$ for a rack to mount my server in :)

P1040152.JPG

For now, the UPS will have to do. This UPS sounds an alarm if it's overloaded, and so far so good.

As for pictures, it's jus ta computer, monitor and keyboard on a desk. Not really that thrilling :) The machine itself has been built for several years. The last time I pulled the cover is when the 6 WD drives went in.

Ok, The first part of the Vail Install just completed. It took 4.5 hours for it to prepare the two 1G drives for Drive Extender. Shouldn't have that problem in the next preview though :)

Final setup is in progress. Will probably have to finish it tomorrow.

Putting a lower VA ups on a server / desktop running isn't really good for a ups it will just hurt it, and put alot of load on it, moreless the UPS will fail and just shutdown all together.

In the long run it is useless, if you load it down to much it will just power off and go into protect mode.

Spend the $$ its 99$ for a 1500Va APC ups, worth every penny, and they all come with usb now :)

If your starting this build, we need pictures :)

Here is my setup last month, it has changed a bit, but you get the idea. NOTE the ups, soon i will have a rackmounted ups, haven't bought one yet because im saving the $$ for a rack to mount my server in :)

P1040152.JPG

Because this is more fun :)

And Vail is only preview right now. I need a solid server for other stuff and by doing it this way, when Vail is released in final form all I have to do is rebuild the VM. I won't lose the my main server.

I also want to mess around with SCCM for software installations, remote Windows installations, and maybe even WSUS. One thing at a time though !

why is the better than just running whs v1 or even vail by itself?

Ok, an update...

Vail is fully installed. The 4.5 hour setups time, which I thought was caused by Vail setting up DE2 on the two 1GB drives, must have simply been the required setup time because once it was up, the second drive had not been added automatically. I added it to the pool and it only took about 2 minutes for it to add it.

Remote Access is up and running. I had to configure my router manually as the Vail automatic configurator kept failing. I'm copying some media to it now to test further.

New problem. I installed the connector on my desktop, and attempted to do a backup. It sat at "0% Complete" for well over an hour. Need to research this as there isn't a whole lot to troubleshoot on this one. I know it's at least getting to the server because I can see the backup attempt listed in backups.

I have to say I do NOT like the new connector software. They got all fancy-dancy with it :( WHSv1 had a simple, elegant system tray icon you selected everything. Vail has this big-ass panel up on the screen. WTF Microsoft :(

I'm off to research the backup issue.

Remote Access is working damned fine. Accessing my music, video's, etc... from a web browser is really quite cool :)

Still working on the backup issue. No luck there yet.

As indicated in the first post of the thread, DPM is way too complex and overboard (not that this whole project isn't LOL), and it does not play nice when a domain is not available from what I've read, so I've decided to just use the backup system in Vail.

Ok, an update.

Backup is now working. Not sure what the initial issue was.

Right now everything is working as advertised.

I do have an issue where one of the laptops won't install the connector software. It ends with a non-descriptive error.

Everything else is fine so far.

Back