Windows Server Directory (Many Different Permissions) how to copy to other server?

cide_

Limp Gawd
Hey there,

Our accounting department has one hell of a mess of a folder. Its called ACTNGDATA and is full of chain directory with different or alternate user access and permissions inherited to the subfolder and files.

I tried copying it under the highest account available that has access and includes all accountants as grouped, but it would encounter errors "Cannot Copy File - Permission Denied".

We are moving to a new server, the old being Server 2000 and the new being Server 2008. I have set up the users and accounts on the new server identically to the old one.

I was able to copy the folder and all contents using our backup software without errors but it removed all the permissions and I don't want to spend all day changing each folder 1 at a time.

Is there a utility out there I can use to carry over the assigned permissions as it was?

Thank you

Are you on the 2000 server and trying to copy to what location? On external backup or you are on the 2008 server and accessing 2000 server over the windows network? I need to know.

There should be an option in your backup software to include permissions. If not, then you can use robocopy to copy the files with the permissions. If you're getting access denied errors, but your backup software is working fine, you may be able to log is as the account used to do the backups. However, I would try to back it up as yourself because, as an admin, you need to be able to and it might save you some problems later by fixing it now.

Velocitymaster,

I am indeed on a 2000 Server as the source

I am copying from D:\actgdata\*.*

The destination is Windows Server 2008 Machine, Drive E:\actgdata

All inclusive copy.

How I was trying to access the files to copy, I was logged in a Administrator account via Terminal Services on Server 2008 accessing the Windows 2000 Share via Administrator login through Network Browsing. Hopefully this is enough information for you.
___

As far as the backup software, There is a option to restore ACL File Permissions but it didn't work, I believe because it was not designed with Server 2008 (Based on Vista) in mind.

I was also restoring to a different location.. But I will try Robocopy, After I wait for Velocitymaster's input. The backup software worked fine but ignored all permissions. (Wiped clean) So, I assume there is a permission problem somewhere that one of our accountants created thinking she was doing things the right way.. As per usual.. And I will have to find where this problem is and fix it if I have to.

Velocitymaster,

I am indeed on a 2000 Server as the source

I am copying from D:\actgdata\*.*

The destination is Windows Server 2008 Machine, Drive E:\actgdata

All inclusive copy.

How I was trying to access the files to copy, I was logged in a Administrator account via Terminal Services on Server 2008 accessing the Windows 2000 Share via Administrator login through Network Browsing. Hopefully this is enough information for you.
___

As far as the backup software, There is a option to restore ACL File Permissions but it didn't work, I believe because it was not designed with Server 2008 (Based on Vista) in mind.

I was also restoring to a different location.. But I will try Robocopy, After I wait for Velocitymaster's input. The backup software worked fine but ignored all permissions. (Wiped clean) So, I assume there is a permission problem somewhere that one of our accountants created thinking she was doing things the right way.. As per usual.. And I will have to find where this problem is and fix it if I have to.

That folder on driver D on the 2000 server, make sure the folder share permission is check for read and copy on the folder properties. If it won't let you, try backing up to an external HD if you have one. Not sure how big is that folder but you can plug the external via USB to the server directly and it should let you copy. At this point looks like 2000 server machine is the problem and have to look it.

I dont remember off the top of my head but microsoft has a file server migration tool that I believe does what you need.

Hey guys,

So I was able to run RoboCopy GUI latest version, It worked and copied the folder along with all Permissions however, Once the appeared on the new server they all appeared as Funky named numbers with question marks.. . As in, The permissions are there but refer to user accounts on the other server.

Old Server: SRVR-WA2

New Server: SRVR-WA3

Is there anyway to automatically alleviate this through robocopy or otherwise, or am I doomed to walk the way of manual tagging?

Are you in a domain? If so, the sids are the same across the domain. If you have two standalone servers, you'll need to recreate all the accounts and permissions.

Are you in a domain? If so, the sids are the same across the domain. If you have two standalone servers, you'll need to recreate all the accounts and permissions.

Pretty sure he isn't in a domain, just local users...

If you want a tool to make this work -> Active Directory. Otherwise you will have to redo permissions.

Pretty sure he isn't in a domain, just local users...

If you want a tool to make this work -> Active Directory. Otherwise you will have to redo permissions.

He's going to have to redo the permissions even if he moves to AD. Since they're all done with local accounts now, you'll need to redo them all with domain accounts and then robocopy them over. Or just set them up on the new server since the shares are copied.

I'm not sure how you'd get the old sids to match up with the new accounts, there may be a way, but I've never done it.

I believe you can move the sid to the new machine with migration tools, but you probably will get it done faster by just re ACLing the directory properly.

As in, The permissions are there but refer to user accounts on the other server.

Old Server: SRVR-WA2

New Server: SRVR-WA3

Is there anyway to automatically alleviate this through robocopy or otherwise, or am I doomed to walk the way of manual tagging?

this is also why you restore of the files didn't being the permissions across. No common security database between the two servers.

Take a look at the Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit - its free.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...ae-930a-42b0-b595-66f462f5d87b&DisplayLang=en

Back