windows server, already has .net, asp, all that stuff- dotnetnuke or vbulletin/WP?

iansilv

Limp Gawd
OK,
I am puting together a site plan and I am trying to figure out whether to use vbulletin with some custom integration with WP, or t completely use dotnetnuke.

I want to have a community buletin board with each user having a blog page. this is asmall niche community, but I will be adding on other features in the near future that fal outside the range of vbulletin's expertise.

Does anyone have aythoughts here? If I am going for a high usage site, with multiple features, but about 80% of the thing is going to be this community message board portal, should I just have my programmer start with dotnetnuke? or is vbulletin and wordpress the way to go? I am still a noob, so any and all comments and thoughts are very appreciated.

Thank you.

Any of those would work fine.

Regardless of your choice, definitely run some code analysis tools to look for memory leaks, high volume points, and pages that are CPU or I/O intensive, and optimize accordingly. But an advantage that any of those options offer is the fact that millions of people have already hammered the foundation codebase already, so your focus is more on the customizations and addons you develop.

Also, what database back-end are you going to standardize on? That could help decide what application to use (unless you were going to decide on the DB vendor based on the recommendations from the platform you choose).

Ive got a ms sql server running- I am already using it, and it has done well for me so far, so I do not think I want to change. I think that limits me to dotnetnuke as a platform, right?

Also- how does vbulletin compare to dotnetnuke's bulletin board software?

Ive got a ms sql server running- I am already using it, and it has done well for me so far, so I do not think I want to change. I think that limits me to dotnetnuke as a platform, right?

Also- how does vbulletin compare to dotnetnuke's bulletin board software?

Using SQL Server does not lock you in to only DotNetNuke. However, I'm not sure of the fine differences between vBulliten and DNN. They both have a strong community base, so I think your decision should be more on which platform you want to support - .Net, PHP, or something else.

And since you'll be doing custom development anyways, I think any differences between DNN and vBulliten become a moot point, as any feature that is missing that you need can be either retrieved as a plugin or be added through custom coding.

Back