Windows Server 2022 upgrade disables RDP - any way to keep it enabled instead?

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
I have a bunch of servers running Windows Server 2019. They are all run headless and managed via RDP. I'm going to upgrade them to Server 2022 in the near future.

On a test machine, the upgrade went great and the server came back up again as expected after the upgrade, with one exception. For some reason Remote Desktop is disabled after the upgrade. If I attach a monitor and a mouse, I can simply re-enable it easily, after which it works great again. The problem is that I'd prefer not to drag a monitor and mouse around to each server just to toggle RDP on again after the upgrade. Is there any way to have it not disable RDP as part of the upgrade and instead leave it enabled like it was before?

theres a fix I use at some customers to re-enable RDP...change in a reg setting and then restart the service...Ill see if I can dig up the link
Maybe add VNC before the upgade?

By any chance did you patch these servers with recent updates? as there was one that was killing RDP for some..
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...ws-server-update-fixes-remote-desktop-issues/

Fully up to date with all updates for Server 2019. I was not experiencing any odd issues like described in the article. RDP works great before the upgrade, and is simply disabled after the upgrade. It works fine again after being re-enabled, but I had to use a keyboard and mouse to do that obviously.

Haven't run into this, but, I also don't manage any windows servers at home or at work.
I'd probably just enable PS Remoting on all of them, then fire a script to enable RDP after the upgrade is complete.
Or if you're an ansible run place, use the one of the community modules to set it afterward.
Or just have a simple PoSh script that runs at computer startup that enables RDP.

If you are still using physical servers, you should have a secondary method of remote control besides just RDP. Something like LogMeIn, VNC, etc would allow you to make this changes or troubleshooting when RDP isn't working.

Back