Windows Server 2012 Essentials has gone RTM and is live on TechNet

Gonna have to agree with this guy. A home user SHOULD want all the things the other guy listed but most just couldn't care less.

Update bandwidth savings? Windows updates are like 100MB on a bad month, how many computers do you think most regular users have? Even if they have 5 that needs updates that's only 500MB, you think people want a server to help them save 400MB a month?

Ask anyone using cellular broadband or a metered landline broadand plan and they will tell you that saving bandwidth, even 400mb month, is a HUGE priority.. I know I do every day at work.

Any harm in naming the server domain the same as my workgroup? I'l be using the connector hack and I already have a WHS 2011 box running.

This is just for home nerdering BTW.

Ask anyone using cellular broadband or a metered landline broadand plan and they will tell you that saving bandwidth, even 400mb month, is a HUGE priority.. I know I do every day at work.

We're not talking people like us here though, we're talking "normal" users. The only way to realize any sort of bandwidth savings with a local WSUS install with 5 or fewer systems is to heavily micromanage approvals. Do you really think your mom wants to have to check the update server the second wedensday of each month and approve only the updates she needs? And that 400MB savings is a) assuming a really big pach month, most months are more like 10MB/box, and b) that you have 5 computers asll trying to use that heavily metered connection to where 400MB actually matters. Not the best assumtion for normal users.

Update bandwidth savings? Windows updates are like 100MB on a bad month, how many computers do you think most regular users have?.

Several. Consider the family. One or both of the parents have a laptop for work, there's a desktop the adults share, and the kids have a PC apiece. Maybe there's a Windows 8 tablet too. Now think about the problems restricted bandwidth (say POTS or ISDN) will have. Better to download updates once overnight, auto-approve it, then the local PCs can autoupdate very quickly. Not everyone has high speed broadband.

Back