Windows Server 2008 help

Siriusmuzik

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi there, I don't have Windows Home Server, I only have Server 2008 R2. I basically want to use it for large files and media. I installed it, but now it's asking what roles and features I want to install.

Can anyone give me a tip to start up the basic server? So far, my other computer isn't recognizing the server even though we're on the same router.

Thanks

for simple file sharing you don't have to add any additional roles. Additional roles would be for domain controller, dhcp, dns, etc.

what do you mean by "my other computer isn't recognizing the server"??

for simple file sharing you don't have to add any additional roles. Additional roles would be for domain controller, dhcp, dns, etc.

what do you mean by "my other computer isn't recognizing the server"??

thanks.

My other computer doesn't recognize it on the network. Other computers show up, but not the server I just set up.

show up where? Network Neighborhood? or whatever it's called in Win7; depending on the OS

Go start -> run -> \\servername (alternatively, \\ipaddress) see if it pulls up the server

edit: fwiw, My Network Places/Network Neighbrhood/etc is populated based on NetBIOS. It can take a while for the server to populate into it (if at all). I remember quirks with My Network Places and XP, but more or less quit caring about it since it's just as easy to pull it up from Run.

I think its just called "network". It shows my other three computers but not the server.

I tried doing what you said and it didn't work.

Here is the situation.

I have a router, and 4 computers including 1 server.
They are all hooked up to the router.

From my computers, I can see all of the other computers under "network" but it doesn't show my server.

I hope that makes sense. I'm new to this whole server stuff.

Here is a screenshot of what my server sees.

Untitled.png

On my other computer, I see everything besides the WIN-DCJ3GFAK837 computer which is my server.

On my Server 2008 R2 installation, the only roles I have are File Server and Windows Search Service, both under File Services. As for getting your server to show up on the network, you need to..

Enable and start the following services (and enable any dependencies they rely on):
- DNS Client
- Function Discovery Provider Host (or maybe it was Function Discovery Resource Publication)
- SSDP Discovery
- UPnP Device Host

Then, in the Network and Sharing Center, turn on network discovery (and file sharing if you haven't already done so).

Back