Windows Server 2008 CAL license

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by TrEpIdAtIoN, Jul 18, 2008.

  1. TrEpIdAtIoN

    TrEpIdAtIoN Limp Gawd

    Jan 30, 2002
    Can someone explain this to me better than the Microsoft website. From my understanding of it, I'm purchasing the software, but if I or my dev team want to connect(rdp or vnc) to it I need to purchase these user licenses? I think I interpreted it correctly there. But I'm kinda shaky on the device licenses. If someone could explain that a little better for me I would greatly appreciate it. I'm really only a developer and haven't had to put much effort into managing our budget/purchases before. :p
  2. dbwillis

    dbwillis [H]ardness Supreme

    Jul 9, 2002
    CAL is for when a user is accessing the server for a resource on it.

    CAL isnt for when your logging into the machine (RDP/VNC), if you have the machine setup as a terminal server, then you would need TS CALS for each user accessing it.
  3. swatbat

    swatbat [H]ardForum Junkie

    Apr 25, 2001
    If we are talking about remote administration then you don't need extra cals. Server 08 supports what MS calls remote administration. If you wanted users to log in and use it as a remote desktop then you would need terminal server licensing and a cal for each user.