Windows Server 2008 + CAL License Question

d4nnn

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi guys,

Had a question I need verified from more knowledgeable folks.

Client currenlty has a yearly resellers license for server 2008 (@$75) and 290 CAL license @ $2.50 per license. Yearly fee is somewhere around $850

From my understanding, all we need is the server license + the computers that will communicate with the server. The school is an ALL MAC school, and only connect to the mac servers. They do not connect to the windows server at all. The windows server is mainly to monitor the network, UPS and backup server for a couple of the windows PCs.

So anyway, the original plan for the previous contractors was for a SAN or a NAS served through the Windows server for each student to have access, thus requiring the 290 or so CALs. However, since we have taken over, I think I plan to move them towards using MAC environment NAS or something of the sort eliminating the need for the CALs except for the few PCs that may need it.

Is this the right recommendation?

If a computer/user authenticates to a Windows server, even with no password Everyone file shares, you need a CAL for either the user or computer, whichever you have fewer of typically.

Back