Windows Server 2003 VPN

Drunken_King

Weaksauce
Hello everyone. As you know, I installed Windows Server 2003 on an old computer to act as a domain on my home network as an experiment. I joined my laptop to the domain, and now trying to experiment with logging on to the domain from a remote location (ex. School). How do I set up WS 2003 so I can log on to the domain from school? Do I need to set up VPN?

google for some guides on setting up routing and remote access on the server, then also setup the appropriate port forwards on your router... before you bother doing anything though, you might want to check whether a) your school are bothered about you establishing a vpn connection to another network from theirs, b) whether they have the necessary ports/protocols permitted outbound through their firewalls (pptp:tcp1723, and gre:ip47), and c) make sure you aren't using overlapping subnets between home and school.

Last edited:
I tried to do this on windows 2003 and I just gave up and installed smoothwall with openvpn and now I can access my network.

Lotsa guides out there, like this one
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5805260.html

As mentioned above, for PPTP VPN, you'll need to open/forward 1723, and ensure your router is allowing PPTP passthrough (IP type 47 GRE).

Clients will connect to the WAN IP address/DNS alias of your home network, the public IP address.

However, I prefer, as the 2nd reply above hints, to do any VPN via a hardware appliance..such has have a router that does PPTP VPN. I'm not fond of sticking that service of a Windows server on the outside of my firewall.

Back