Windows Server 2003 permission problems

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Zalbag, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Zalbag

Zalbag Limp Gawd

Ok, I posted earlier that I needed a solution to my problem, well I found one. I got the eval version of windows server 2003 (180 days to use it), my school is looking into purchasing a license as I type this.

Anyway, onto my problem. I have everything set up and running, DHCP server, DNS server, Active Directory, etc. Plus I have all the users created. Everyone can login (I have mandatory profiles set) and do their work and that's fine. However, here's my problem, I created a share directory called "Users", this directory contains all the user folders (by their full name, so "John Smith" for example). I have set the correct permissions and everything (I believe) but people get an error everytime they try and save, something along the lines of permissions not being set or the disk being read only.

Just to be clear, if person X is logged in, and they try and get into person Z's folder they get access denied (and vice versa ;) )

I have each folder set (under the security tab of the properties box) so that "Administrators" and that particular user have FULL access to that folder, it's subfolder, and it's contents (on the advanced tab I have deselected the inherit permissions thing).

So any ideas on why they can't save in their designated folder?

2. oakfan52

oakfan52 [H]ard|Gawd

share permissions take the most resterictive between ntfs permissions and sharing permissions no? make sure you have them configure correctly to allow the onwers to write to their dir.

3. Darthkim

Darthkim Limp Gawd

Remember, that on a share , share permissions need to be taken care of first. and then NTFS permissions.

If the share permissions are not set correctly, regardless of what kind of ntfs permissions you have, you won't get access.

4. mobiux

mobiux 2[H]4U

So they can see the root of the users folder and see into thier own directory, but when they try to save they get an error?

5. Zalbag

Zalbag Limp Gawd

Yes. And when they try and save they get a disc full/right protected error. Even though they have FULL control over that directory (their user folder), and there's 30+gb of space left.

6. oakfan52

oakfan52 [H]ard|Gawd

post your ntfs and shar permissions. i bet thr problem is there. It will take the most resrictive of the two. so if you ahve everyone set to RO ntfs and full controll share. then everyone will have RO.

7. Zalbag

Zalbag Limp Gawd

Ok:

C:\Files\Users\
    Share Permissions: Everyone (Read); Administrators (Read, Change)
    Security Permissions: Administrators (Full Control); Everyone (Read, Read & Execute, List folder contents)

C:\Files\Users\*
    Share Permissions: N/A
    Security Permissions: Each user + Administrators has FULL CONTROL over their own folder (Administrators have full control over all)

How would this not work?

Yes I did unset and reset the share and secruity permissions on the shares. Then set the shares permissions first then the security permissions next. Didn't work, and yes I am logging in & logging out each user after changes.

8. SJConsultant

SJConsultant 2[H]4U

The problem is your only allowing READ access at the SHARE level. Windows will take share level permissions and NTFS and combine them using the most restrictive of the two. You'll need to allow the CHANGE permission at the share level in order for users to write anyone to the network share.

To make it easier, set your share permissions for EVERYONE group FULL CONTROL, then set your NTFS permissions as needed for each individual user/folder. e.g. Mary has NTFS full control on her share, Tom has NTFS full control on his folder, etc.

9. Zalbag

Zalbag Limp Gawd

Thank you!

It works now, thanks!