Windows Server 2003 for my home's media server

Noah

Limp Gawd
According to Maximum PC, this is the best OS to use when creating a media/file server. I am considering getting a license, but I need to know the following:
  • I hear its a real task to set up. Anybody know any good guides?
  • Will it accept the WinTV PVR 150 (non-MCE)? To make it simpler: Will it accept the hardware I have that works with Windows XP Professional?

Good news! I got hooked up with a copy of Windows Server 2003 Enterprise. My uncle will hook me up later today.

I want to know how to configure this thing to be a file server, print server, possibly a web server, and a method of streaming media.

It was no harder than XP to install. Now, setting up could be a different story as that wasn't my job.

Be aware, though, that a lot of software will not install on that OS. It recognizes it as a "server" os and aborts the installation.

Brad4321 said:
It was no harder than XP to install. Now, setting up could be a different story as that wasn't my job.

Be aware, though, that a lot of software will not install on that OS. It recognizes it as a "server" os and aborts the installation.

I need aid setting it up, installing should be no problem.

I just hope I can get most of my software to install (AIM, Beyond TV)

seems a little excessive for a home file/media server. How much did you pay for it?

vapb400 said:
seems a little excessive for a home file/media server. How much did you pay for it?

$0.00. My uncle had an unused license.

I installed it, waiting on your help. It asked me to install recommended roles. I did and I installed a file server.

What now?

Under admin tools go to manger your server, then follow the prompts. Pretty much straight forward.

Is that what the 5 client licenses means? If it is, im going to have windows server 2003 :)

The 5 cals mean that you can connect up to 5 users or devices to the server at one time(IIS is unlimited). 2003 comes with 5 cals.

Fudge. I let Windows Server add all the recommended roles to the server, and now I have no Internet access.

WTF?

Ok, I ended up having to all roles except "File Server," removing my wireless network card and then reinstalling it. Internet is back.

The only thing I really want to do now is make separate usernames and passwords for each person who will access the network and give them specific permissions. I tried installing Active Directory, but it was mind-boggling. I really like this OS, and I want to use it. Anyone know what I should do?

I've decided to format and go with Standard rather than Enterprise (my uncle has one of those too).

Should be done in an hour or two. Hope it's a little simpler.

with Windows Server, can I make a name server, that all the users in the network log into that computer from any other computer in the network and they get their settings, IE favorites, etc.? I mean like in school or companies that you have a user name and everywhere u log on u see the same things...

Hey guys. You do know that MS gives away trail versions of there server software on their website? I recommend you try that before laying down big bucks for the software.

If my uncle owns small business edition, installed on one server, could i install it on a server here? Microsofts licensing confuses the hell out of me

Wow, it appears that no one likes to do their own research anymore. Server 2003 has walk-throughs for every task it can perform. Follow the instructions and the steps. We can't help, because each server and each use is set up differently, based on your preferences. Figure out what you want to do, then follow the walk through steps for each. It's very simple. You just need to do your own work for a change, instead of filling up the forums with posts asking other people to do everything for you.

you're not gonna want to mess with roaming profiles if you can't even follow the instructions on the screen that tell you what your following steps are once you've installed a service such a the file server one. Read the help. Once you've gone through it and have a specific question then ask.

Back