Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition

[BB] Rick James

[H]ard Dawg
I'm running a 2003 server at home and I don't really care how long each IP is assigned to each PC. How can I change the lease times of my IP addresses? I'd like it so each IP has no lease on it....

Can this be done?

[BB] Rick James said:
I'm running a 2003 server at home and I don't really care how long each IP is assigned to each PC. How can I change the lease times of my IP addresses? I'd like it so each IP has no lease on it....

Can this be done?

I know this is obvious, but you could just have them all have static IP's. If that isn't in the question, set up Static DHCP (I dont know how, though in Win 2k3)

EDIT: What is handing out DHCP leases? The 2k3 box?

AMD[H]unter said:
I know this is obvious, but you could just have them all have static IP's. If that isn't in the question, set up Static DHCP (I dont know how, though in Win 2k3)

EDIT: What is handing out DHCP leases? The 2k3 box?

Ypu the 2003 box is giving out my ip addresses. I don't wanna go the static rout.

Can you just change the lease time in the DHCP console on the server?

Whats the lease time now? and what do you want it to be?

dbwillis said:
Can you just change the lease time in the DHCP console on the server?

Whats the lease time now? and what do you want it to be?

Well right now it's set up for 7 days....I'd like it to be when you get off my network you loose that ip. So you turn your PC off and then back on, you either A) get a new address or B) get the next address in line.

I have it set up now for 7 days. After the 7 days you'd get the IP you had if it's not currently being used. If it's used, you'd get the next in line.

Start menu, administrative tools, dhcp
- right click on the server name and there should be a setting for HH MM SS

Go under admin tools and dhcp. Open up your server under it and right click on scope and go to properties. You can define the dhcp lease time under there.

If you want them to always have the same IP though I would assign the desktops static ips outside the dhcp range. For anything like a notebook I would assign a reservation so the server will always hand it the same ip address even though it is set to dhcp for when you take it somewhere elce.

Crap dbwillis beat me too it. O well I put in some more info.

swatbat said:
Go under admin tools and dhcp. Open up your server under it and right click on scope and go to properties. You can define the dhcp lease time under there.

If you want them to always have the same IP though I would assign the desktops static ips outside the dhcp range. For anything like a notebook I would assign a reservation so the server will always hand it the same ip address even though it is set to dhcp for when you take it somewhere elce.

Crap dbwillis beat me too it. O well I put in some more info.

No I don't want static IP's. I'd rather have the server assign them, but not keep them assigned to any one client for more then a day.

[BB] Rick James said:
No I don't want static IP's. I'd rather have the server assign them, but not keep them assigned to any one client for more then a day.
This sorta goes against the base nature of how DHCP works. You see, when a Windows box receives an IP from a DHCP server, it stores it in the registry. Then, the next time the system is booted (regardless of how long the lease is or even if it is already expired), it skips the first two phases of the DHCP process and goes right into requesting the last IP it had the last time it booted up. Unless some other system has that IP, you will most likely still acquire the same IP address. You could theoretically set your lease time for 1 minute (EXTREMELY NOT recommended due to HUGE increase in DHCP traffic) and then turn your machine off for a week and your system will request the same IP when it boots up. Even then, because Windows automatically requests the last IP used, setting your lease time to an extremely low value will more than likely not work as intended. There is no guarantee it will get the same IP it last used, but the only way it won't is if some other system already has it assigned. Even if you manually release your IP (eg. "ipconfig /release"), there is no guarantee you will get a different IP when the DHCP server issues your IP out. The only way would be to make sure that IP is somehow unavailable for issue after it is assigned to a system.

Joe Fission said:
This sorta goes against the base nature of how DHCP works. You see, when a Windows box receives an IP from a DHCP server, it stores it in the registry. Then, the next time the system is booted (regardless of how long the lease is or even if it is already expired), it skips the first two phases of the DHCP process and goes right into requesting the last IP it had the last time it booted up. Unless some other system has that IP, you will most likely still acquire the same IP address. You could theoretically set your lease time for 1 minute (EXTREMELY NOT recommended due to HUGE increase in DHCP traffic) and then turn your machine off for a week and your system will request the same IP when it boots up. Even then, because Windows automatically requests the last IP used, setting your lease time to an extremely low value will more than likely not work as intended. There is no guarantee it will get the same IP it last used, but the only way it won't is if some other system already has it assigned. Even if you manually release your IP (eg. "ipconfig /release"), there is no guarantee you will get a different IP when the DHCP server issues your IP out. The only way would be to make sure that IP is somehow unavailable for issue after it is assigned to a system.

Yeah I did end up leaving it at 8 days. Really no reason (points you mentioned above) to leave it at anything less.

Back