Windows Server 2003 Domain settings transfer

Dan UCF

[H]ard|Gawd
I have two Win2k3 server boxes one is the current Domain with ancient hardware, and the other is a nice brand spankin new box. What I need to do is transfer the domains settings and accounts, etc to the new box.
Is there an easy way to backup the settings and do this?

I used the backup tool to save the system state from the old hardware box but am not sure if this is the correct way to go about the domain transfer.

I was told on original NT4 you could simply specifiy a 2nd box as the backup domain and if the primary went down the secondary would simply take over. In this situation I could set the secondary and simply "fail" the primary but I can't find how to do this in 2k3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I've been searching google and windows help and not really finding pertinent info but will keep trying.

I believe the procedure is to set up your second box, promote it to domain controller, replicate AD, and then bring over FSMO rolls onto the new box.

Then retire your old box.

google for "dcpromo" and see if thats what you need

im pretty new to server200x and domains.

we changed to a new domain this week at work. 20 servers, 1000 computers, exchange, etc, etc; it wasn't that bad. just minor glitches here and there.

good luck

Back