windows reinstall made my main drive d: - how do i make it c?

hey,

i have two partitions on my raid array - got 2 300gb segate hds on my nf4 raid

a boot and storage partition - i just relaoded windows and remade my boot partition before formatting.

now my boot drive is d: and my storage drive is c:

how can i fix this so that boot = c , and storage = d?

the only way i know to do it is with partition magic. m$ disk management will not let you rename a drive that has windows installed on it.

The only way that actually works is to reinstall Windows and pay attention to the drive formatting screen. Too many people blow through that screen without taking the time or effort to see what letter is being assigned. If you really want C to be the system volume, back up all of your data, blow away all partitions and start over. Create just the C partition, and finish installing XP. Then, in disk management, create the D partition. Partition Magic will make the change, but you'll be left with path errors everywhere, assuming it even boots.

bbz_Ghost said:
You people make these things so tough sometimes. "No, you can't do it" isn't good enough, and neither is "Reinstall and pay attention next time."

How to restore the system/boot drive letter in Windows

Straight from the beast in Redmond itself.
Nice...gotta love it when a noobie makes a grand entrance. Did you see the part right at the top, where it uses the word "restore" in the title?

As you said, right from the beast in Redmond itself:

SUMMARY
Warning Do not use the procedure that is described in this article to change a drive on a computer where the drive letter has not changed. If you do so, you may not be able to start your operating system. Follow the procedure that is described in this article only to recover from a drive letter change, not to change an existing computer drive to something else. Back up your registry keys before you make this change.
:(

TFA said:
This article describes how to change the system or boot drive letter in Windows. For the most part, this is not recommended, especially if the drive letter is the same as when Windows was installed.

edit: djnes got it, I shouldn't walk away from my desk for 15 minutes at a time. :p

Back