Windows reFS vs ZFS

x-cimo

Limp Gawd
I'm currently using ZFS with OI. I'm looking at the new reFS for windows 8. Has anyone looked at it in details? It seems to offer similar feature sets but could include some advantagefor me because its windows. Im running over esx so just better vmware tools would bE great

Whats you guys thought about it?

I have seen a few threads on this. From the threads it appears that it is very slow and has its share of bugs.

I'm currently using ZFS with OI. I'm looking at the new reFS for windows 8. Has anyone looked at it in details? It seems to offer similar feature sets but could include some advantagefor me because its windows. Im running over esx so just better vmware tools would bE great

The only advantage you'll get is familiarity with Windows.

What's wrong with vmware tools on OI? Are you accessing OI via the Console?

We have been evaluating it on 2 test boxes, and based on the results so far I am sure we'll move to it circa Windows Server 2016 :D

Not factoring any sort of raid into the picture, the file system itself is decent. But Storage Spaces is a joke as far as enterprise use is concerned, and really has too many glitches and performance problems to be something I would trust my data to.

Advantage for me would have been:
Windows familiarity of course
Latest SMB version / Better Share permissions
Better vmware tool support (vmxnet3 for OI is not great).

Draw back ( it seems )
What if you loose the windows os of a refs FS? (ZFS Pool can be imported by anything that support it, or even a different host)
lacks snapshot
performance?

Back