Windows ReadyBoost and Windows ReadyDrive How do you get it to work with your HD?

Serge84

Gawd
I want Windows ReadyBoost and Windows ReadyDrive to work with my hard drive partition I made for it. One min it works then when I put something else on the drive it says this drive nolonger can use readyboost or some BS like that. Took everything off it and reformated it. Still nothing. :rolleyes: And I was just using it at 4gig too awile ago. What in the... so it can't be used if I put something else on that partition. Well thats a joke.

I can't find anything in admin tools that will help me force use readyboost and readydrive. And my HD can use the features. It just wants to be stupid atm.

How do you configure hard drives to use this? Using a flash drive is not a option, I only have one and bitlocker is used for it. Any ideas?

I want Windows ReadyBoost and Windows ReadyDrive to work with my hard drive partition I made for it. One min it works then when I put something else on the drive it says this drive nolonger can use readyboost or some BS like that. Took everything off it and reformated it. Still nothing. :rolleyes:

I can't find anything in admin tools that will help me force use readyboost and readydrive.

How do you configure hard drives to use this? Using a flash drive is not a option, I only have one and bitlocker is used for it. Any ideas?
You do realize that the characteristics of a hard drive is precisely the opposite of what Readyboost needs right? You already have a page file on the hard drive anyways.

You do realize that the characteristics of a hard drive is precisely the opposite of what Readyboost needs right? You already have a page file on the hard drive anyways.

I saw a 20% speed boost with readyboost when I used it on my raptors 2nd partition. You do realize this worked for about a week until I wanted to put something on it. So now it doesn't work for some reason and I lost performance. Doesn't make any sense at all. I'm puzzled at the moment why it refuses to work now when it did before.

You have the option on every hard drive partition that is not compressed and has no data on it. I have 4 hard drives with 10 partitions on them in all. Most are full but one was not and worked well with it. Weird I can't get it to work again. Must be because some of the system volume is compressed. *Shrugs* Well it was cool wile it worked.

Well, since you've already answered your own question, you won't be needing to worry about ReadyBoost :rolleyes:
:rolleyes: I already had it working on the hard drive to begin with until I put something on that partition it was using. Read my post IT WORKED BEFORE. I asked how do you configure it to use the Hard Drive again? If it didn't work I wouldn't be making a big deal of it that far.

This doesn't anser my question.

ReadyBoost setup, so pay attention:

1) Get a machine running Vista.

2) Get a USB Flashdrive or an SD memory card if your machine can read it.

3) Plug in the USB Flashdrive or SD memory card.

4) Wait for Vista to run a short test on the Flashdrive or card.

5) If the results of the test show on the popup dialogue box and offer to use the device for ReadyBoost capabilities, click it and choose how much space to assign for ReadyBoost duties - unless necessary, choose whatever Vista suggests.

6) Use the PC.

Simple. There is nothing else for you to do, tweak, customize, mess with, reconfigure, dream about, etc. That is it, period.

'Nuff typed.

ReadyBoost setup, so pay attention:

1) Get a machine running Vista.

2) Get a USB Flashdrive or an SD memory card if your machine can read it.

3) Plug in the USB Flashdrive or SD memory card.

4) Wait for Vista to run a short test on the Flashdrive or card.

5) If the results of the test show on the popup dialogue box and offer to use the device for ReadyBoost capabilities, click it and choose how much space to assign for ReadyBoost duties - unless necessary, choose whatever Vista suggests.

6) Use the PC.

Simple. There is nothing else for you to do, tweak, customize, mess with, reconfigure, dream about, etc. That is it, period.

'Nuff typed.

BZZZZZZZ wrong anser.

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/Serge84/?action=view&current=ReadyboostONHDPROOF.jpg

This will have you guessing for awile. Finally got it to work again. :D With a HD. :rolleyes: Wonder how I worked around that not using the flash drive problem... :eek: Clearly marked as a HD partition too being used with Readyboost. Next time just don't listen to a word anybody says. ;) When you can't get good help these days, Do it yourself. :p

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/Serge84/?action=view&current=Untitled3.jpg

Really?

Well, since you've already answered your own question, you won't be needing to worry about ReadyBoost :rolleyes:

Yeah, I won't have to worry because I just made it work with my HD. :rolleyes: Don't need a flash drive like I told you all but you don't listen.

The only thing that pic shows me is your system is more pooched than you are... go figure. :) But my point and my list of steps there are still accurate and all that's required, regardless.

Have fun, always...

The only thing that pic shows me is your system is more pooched than you are... go figure. :) But my point and my list of steps there are still accurate and all that's required, regardless.

Have fun, always...

:D Well I'm happy again I got the performance back. Nifty little idea microsoft thought of.

BZZZZZZZ wrong anser.

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/Serge84/?action=view&current=ReadyboostONHDPROOF.jpg

This will have you guessing for awile. Finally got it to work again. :D With a HD. :rolleyes: Wonder how I worked around that not using the flash drive problem... :eek: Clearly marked as a HD partition too being used with Readyboost. Next time just don't listen to a word anybody says. ;) When you can't get good help these days, Do it yourself. :p

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/Serge84/?action=view&current=Untitled3.jpg

Really?

Yeah, I won't have to worry because I just made it work with my HD. :rolleyes: Don't need a flash drive like I told you all but you don't listen.
so how did you do it?
what areas do you notice an increase in?
have you compared the performance with a USB drive?

My comment about his system being pooched was dead on:

ReadyBoost won't work with physical hard drives, just Flash-RAM based media products. So the screenshot he posted is showing somehow he's got a ReadyBoost cache file sitting on a physical hard drive, which is or at least should be impossible.

If it's actually working that way on his machine, and he's got a ReadyBoost cache on his hard drive, it's not going to work any faster than his pagefile will because ReadyBoost is just designed to "shadow" some of the content in the pagefile and read it off the solid state device with nearly instantaneous access times. Having the ReadyBoost cache on a physical hard drive is slower than having it on a Flash-RAM based device, even those Raptor X drives.

Either his Explorer is corrupt and reading multiple drives as one, or he's somehow managed to mount the USB drive as an NTFS folder that appears under the same drive letter as that physical hard drive does, or... as I said, his whole system is pooched.

Send that screenshot to the ReadyBoost developers and they'll say the same thing I've said: something is wrong someplace, without any doubt.

My comment about his system being pooched was dead on:

ReadyBoost won't work with physical hard drives, just Flash-RAM based media products. So the screenshot he posted is showing somehow he's got a ReadyBoost cache file sitting on a physical hard drive, which is or at least should be impossible.

If it's actually working that way on his machine, and he's got a ReadyBoost cache on his hard drive, it's not going to work any faster than his pagefile will because ReadyBoost is just designed to "shadow" some of the content in the pagefile and read it off the solid state device with nearly instantaneous access times. Having the ReadyBoost cache on a physical hard drive is slower than having it on a Flash-RAM based device, even those Raptor X drives.

Either his Explorer is corrupt and reading multiple drives as one, or he's somehow managed to mount the USB drive as an NTFS folder that appears under the same drive letter as that physical hard drive does, or... as I said, his whole system is pooched.

Send that screenshot to the ReadyBoost developers and they'll say the same thing I've said: something is wrong someplace, without any doubt.

Thats impossible look at drive 2.

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/Serge84/?action=view&current=6.jpg

Its a primary OS drive with bitlocker encryption. X partition holds the system volume of the primary OS. So partition X can not be a 2nd drive. Its a raptor sata drive. There is no way for partition X to work as a independent drive because its part of one hard drive look at partition C on drive 2 both one hard drive, 2 partitions. lol This is a pretty new install. No probs at all. And no, I'm getting 200mb/s+ on the drive in raid so it bennifits when i do gaming or large tasks that take 2 or 6+ gig's of space. Compression, and encoding at the same time wile playing a game. Oh yeah it helps to have a lot of vmemory. If I had a pooched OS I would know. Ready drive is being taken advantage of specially when loading into windows. Can't be much faster then the snap of a finger in how fast my system loads now. Thought it couldn't get any faster.

I think you're completely getting lost in something, and I really can't say what it is.

First, ReadyBoost only works with Flash-RAM based devices, period. If you found some mystical workaround, the ReadyBoost developers at Microsoft would sure love to have a chat with you.

Second, ReadyDrive is a hybrid Flash-RAM/physical hard drive device and is not currently on the market. So unless you've got a "special friend" that works at some company like Samsung, Seagate, or Hitachi who are currently testing that technology for possible introduction near the end of 2007, or you're part of the testing program itself, you're using the term "ReadyDrive" in a situation where it's not applicable.

Every screenshot you post just confirms my original idea: something is terribly wrong with your system, but hey, if it works and you're happy with it, go for it. I just don't want to see you keep posting the info you're posting because it's incorrect and will lead other people to think they're going to be able to get the same haphazard results you are, that's all.

I could be wrong, of course, I admit that, but I seriously doubt I am. And it can always be faster... :D

I think you're completely getting lost in something, and I really can't say what it is.

First, ReadyBoost only works with Flash-RAM based devices, period. If you found some mystical workaround, the ReadyBoost developers at Microsoft would sure love to have a chat with you.

Second, ReadyDrive is a hybrid Flash-RAM/physical hard drive device and is not currently on the market. So unless you've got a "special friend" that works at some company like Samsung, Seagate, or Hitachi who are currently testing that technology for possible introduction near the end of 2007, or you're part of the testing program itself, you're using the term "ReadyDrive" in a situation where it's not applicable.

Every screenshot you post just confirms my original idea: something is terribly wrong with your system, but hey, if it works and you're happy with it, go for it. I just don't want to see you keep posting the info you're posting because it's incorrect and will lead other people to think they're going to be able to get the same haphazard results you are, that's all.

I could be wrong, of course, I admit that, but I seriously doubt I am. And it can always be faster... :D

Well I must have been lucky to get that special error. lol My flash drive is only 1gb so using my HD works better cus I have more space for memory caching. More memory is always better then faster memory as they say. What do you think caused that?

Honestly I have no idea. I keep doing some research on that Raptor X and wondering if somehow the cache mechanism is pooched in some way and Vista is seeing some of it as "Flash-RAM" and trying to use it - and apparently doing so.

For whatever reason, you have a pretty unique setup there, and also for whatever reason, Vista is doing something it's not technically designed to do.

Enjoy it while it lasts, I suppose. Not sure what else to say... :p

What these guys are trying to say is not to insult you. The concept of ready drive is that it puts a small pagefile on a USB drive to make your computer run faster. Notice it's a pagefile. Not actual memory. The reason it's done on a USB Drive is because it has a faster seek time than a hard drive having to spin the data and locate it. If you have ReadyBoost running on a hard drive that's great but... It's not going to see a performance boost like you're supposed to see in the ReadyBoost with USB. What you've done is the concept of placing your "pagefile" on another hard drive. Albeit it's not your pagefile exactly but that's essentially what a ReadyDrive is. If you really want a true memory performance increase you should upgrade your RAM and ignore the ReadyBoost stuff. You wion't ever need a 4gb ReadyBoost partition. ReadyBoost is only utilized for currently running programs memory needs. And if you have a program that takes 4gb to run then I'm suprised your computer hasn't exploded ;). So congrats on getting it running on the hard drive.

What these guys are trying to say is not to insult you. The concept of ready drive is that it puts a small pagefile on a USB drive to make your computer run faster. Notice it's a pagefile. Not actual memory. The reason it's done on a USB Drive is because it has a faster seek time than a hard drive having to spin the data and locate it. If you have ReadyBoost running on a hard drive that's great but... It's not going to see a performance boost like you're supposed to see in the ReadyBoost with USB. What you've done is the concept of placing your "pagefile" on another hard drive. Albeit it's not your pagefile exactly but that's essentially what a ReadyDrive is. If you really want a true memory performance increase you should upgrade your RAM and ignore the ReadyBoost stuff. You wion't ever need a 4gb ReadyBoost partition. ReadyBoost is only utilized for currently running programs memory needs. And if you have a program that takes 4gb to run then I'm suprised your computer hasn't exploded ;). So congrats on getting it running on the hard drive.

You said "ready drive" there in that second sentence, and again, people are using that term and not understanding what it means, so be careful with it - and in your example, you're mixing ReadyDrive up with ReadyBoost. ReadyDrive, if that's what you intended to say, is a brand new hybrid Flash-RAM/hard drive technology that uses Flash-RAM built into the hard drive as well as the physical heads/platters of traditional hard drive technology. It's like having a "super hard drive memory buffer" that's way way bigger than the measly 8MB and even 16MB buffers current drives offer.

The problem is: ReadyDrive isn't - meaning it's not ready for primetime yet, meaning it's not available on any consumer level or even commercial level hardware yet - the technology hasn't been perfected and is still in testing for hopeful introduction sometime later this year.

But again, you've got to be careful when speaking about ReadyDrive because people will read this in a posting and start jumping to conclusions - it happens all the time around here and makes threads nearly impossible to keep clean with the proper answers.

Also, I'm still sticking with my conclusion based on the information provided that his machine is pooched. If he could speak to any of the people that helped create ReadyBoost for Vista, they'd all shake their heads and say just what I've said: you can't use ReadyBoost from a physical hard drive.

If he is doing such a thing, it's slower than it should be, even if he thinks it's fast. Physical hard drives can never match the access times of solid state memory, that is, until ReadyDrive enabled hardware comes to market. But it's not available yet, hence the dilemma here.

And if Vista is doing that on his machine - using a physical hard drive to store a ReadyBoost cache file, then it's broken, plain and simple, regardless of whether it's working "right" or not. It's just not supposed to work that way or happen like that, so...

I've read thousands of reports from people using ReadyBoost currently, from people with 512MB all the way up to a solid 4GB of physical chip RAM and none of them have reported anything like this guy is reporting, so, all I can conclude is something is wrong, or his system is just "special" and wants to be unique. I can't say for certain what the problem is, but it's most definitely not the norm.

ps
Just adding more RAM isn't going to make a difference either. You could have 8, 16, even 32GB of RAM in a machine, it doesn't matter: Windows will still have a virtual memory subsystem that requires a pagefile, and ReadyBoost can always help with that. The issue is that the more physical chip RAM you have, the lesser the benefit from ReadyBoost - but there is a measurable performance boost regardless, it just grows smaller and smaller as you add more physical chip RAM.

I was being sarcastic. lol Can't take alittle sarcasum? Lighten up. :p

I can take sarcasm and sarcusm (see, made a joke back). The problem is, when you ask for help, and then shove the attitude back at people, you're falling into a very common pattern on here lately. I'm glad it was just sarcasm on your part, and not the real thing, like so many others have given.

Well I must have been lucky to get that special error. lol My flash drive is only 1gb so using my HD works better cus I have more space for memory caching. More memory is always better then faster memory as they say. What do you think caused that?

I think you need to read about how Readyboost works.

'm getting 200mb/s+ on the drive in raid

The thing is, if you have multiple random reads, then the performance of the that raid system plummits (big time), with several concurrent reads at the same time, the performance will drop below 5MB's per second quickly.

With readyboost, flash drives, the performance drop is almost unnoticeable. There was a benchmark test i had, which showed that with a few reads, my 300GB drive dropped from 50-60MB's to 1.7MB's. Whilst the compact flash card which was around 20MB's dropped to 18.7MB's. If i can find the benchmark i will add it to this post.

This is exactly why flash based media is perfect for readyboost.

I saw a 20% speed boost with readyboost when I used it on my raptors 2nd partition.
Yeah, I stopped reading here.

To be fair, I've seen the Readyboost option available for some of my external hard drives, but the option simply doesn't work. It likely does the same tests it does for flash drives to determine whether it'll work.

What kills me about that "20% speed boost" thing is if it was actually working as he thinks, and it's using a second partition on the same drive, there's no way in hell it would be 20% faster - it would be at least 20% slower, probably a lot more since you'd be trying to read/write data from two separate partitions on the same physical hard drive at the same time, obviously an impossible task even for the much vaunted Raptors... :)

I want Windows ReadyBoost and Windows ReadyDrive to work with my hard drive partition I made for it. One min it works then when I put something else on the drive it says this drive nolonger can use readyboost or some BS like that. Took everything off it and reformated it. Still nothing. :rolleyes: And I was just using it at 4gig too awile ago. What in the... so it can't be used if I put something else on that partition. Well thats a joke.

I can't find anything in admin tools that will help me force use readyboost and readydrive. And my HD can use the features. It just wants to be stupid atm.

Bzz-Ghost is correct. Readyboost will only work with a USB flash drive. There is no point in using it trying to get it to work with a hard drive. The whole point is to use the non-existant seek time of the Flash Drive.

Readydisk is also not going to work without a readydisk hard drive, which aren't even on the market yet. As stated it's a hybrid hard drive with large amounts of Flash RAM to suppliment the hard drive.

Bzz-Ghost is correct. Readyboost will only work with a USB flash drive. There is no point in using it trying to get it to work with a hard drive. The whole point is to use the non-existant seek time of the Flash Drive.

Readydisk is also not going to work without a readydisk hard drive, which aren't even on the market yet. As stated it's a hybrid hard drive with large amounts of Flash RAM to suppliment the hard drive.

It sounds to me like ReadyDrive works like a pci raid controller works in a server. The raid controller has x amount of ram on it to speed up reads and writes.

What kills me about that "20% speed boost" thing is if it was actually working as he thinks, and it's using a second partition on the same drive, there's no way in hell it would be 20% faster - it would be at least 20% slower, probably a lot more since you'd be trying to read/write data from two separate partitions on the same physical hard drive at the same time, obviously an impossible task even for the much vaunted Raptors... :)
QFT. Making the head flip-flop back and forth between the two partitions is going to kill performance, if he has somehow managed to emulate a readyboost pagefile on his Raptor's 2nd partition then he is defeating the whole purpose of instant access times and his "20% performance boost" is nothing more than placebo.

Now, I just bought a 150gig raptor and I'm in the market for a readyboost drive. A-Data PD7 seems to be the best one. 30/20 MB/s read/write sustained and 0.6ms access time is the fastest I have found so far. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AData/MyFlash/. Make sure to FIRST format the drive to NTFS 32-64KB cluster size for best results and enable advanced performance in Device Manager and THEN enable readyboost.

I also have 2GB of ram and a Hitachi 7200rpm 250gig HD. If I get a 4GBreadyboost drive, how large should my regular page file be? Do I leave it on the Raptor (OS and application drive) or put it on the Hitachi? I know the logic behind placing the swap file on a different physical drive but do you guys think the Hitachi is too slow to show any benefit? Also, I have read that 4GB readyboost slows down Oblivion, both on Gamespots Oblivion hardware guide and from a member here. Do you guys thing I should get the 2GB A-data and save some money?

so how did you do it?
what areas do you notice an increase in?
have you compared the performance with a USB drive?

I am curious as well. I'd love to see Serge84 write a quick how-to.

First, ReadyBoost is intended to only work with Flash-RAM based devices.
I fixed that for you.

What these guys are trying to say is not to insult you.
I am no English major, but the writing style of quite a few posters in this thread was rather aggressive given the question that Serge posted. A simple: ``I do not know, given that Readyboost was intended for flash devices'' should have been more than sufficient.

I -for one- am terribly curious how Serge got it to work and whether we can verify that it is indeed `working'.

Vista will consider any drive plugged in via USB for the ReadyBoost Application. I know, I have 4 external hard drives that I use for work and they all have the ReadyBoost option.

I see the topic creator has gotten it to work with a internal drive (or so it appears). While I, along with everyone else, highly doubt the benefit to using a hard drive for readyboost I am still curious about it.

The whole point of readyboost is to add a speed level between ram and the page file. Your CPU has really fast L1 cache. L2 is a bit slower, ram is slower than that and an HDD is even slower. The flash drive is faster than the HDD, slower than the ram, so it's just a filler in the line to allow the system to prefetch more data on something faster than your HDD. Sure, there are work arounds to make readyboost work on an HDD, but you get no performance increase from it. Period. You would be better off making your swap file a bit bigger, but anything more than 2.5 times your ram won't be used. A readydrive HDD has nothing at all to do with readyboost...and one other thing:

Making an extra partition on a drive slows it down by a ton. You only have ONE arm motor, so when you create a second partition, the HDD can only grab data from one partition at a time. If you are running your swap file on the same drive, you just cut performance in half, because the arm has to move between the two partitions every cycle to get a bit of data for and from each file. Windows will constantly be re-writing both the swap file and the readyboost file...so doing it that way will more than defeat the purpose for BOTH the swap file and for readyboost.

I am no English major, but the writing style of quite a few posters in this thread was rather aggressive given the question that Serge posted. A simple: ``I do not know, given that Readyboost was intended for flash devices'' should have been more than sufficient.

I -for one- am terribly curious how Serge got it to work and whether we can verify that it is indeed `working'.
Might seem aggressive but it's really only that people are concerned that others reading have accurate information provided. Your suggestiuon would leave the implication that 'Serge' is actually correct in his claims, whereas he's not.

As some have mentioned, ReadyBoost is a technology which works (for people with limited RAM installed) because accessing flash memory falls between the speeds of accessing hard drive stoirage and system memory storage. Butchered onto a hard drive it'd reduce performance rather than enhance it.

The whole point of readyboost is to add a speed level between ram and the page file. Your CPU has really fast L1 cache. L2 is a bit slower, ram is slower than that and an HDD is even slower. The flash drive is faster than the HDD, slower than the ram
Let's be precise here: Most flash devices have a lower access time than harddrive. Also, the lack of moving parts means that random access to files on a flash drive ought to be just as fast as linear access. Harddrives usually feature a higher sustained transfer rater than all consumer level flash devices that I have seen. It is deceiving to claim that flash drives are faster than harddrives in general. Flash drives exhibit different properties, which are advantageous in some situations.

Windows will constantly be re-writing both the swap file and the readyboost file...so doing it that way will more than defeat the purpose for BOTH the swap file and for readyboost.

yes that sounds like a reasonable analysis. I do wonder if we can somehow show the `real world' impact that this has, provided that there's any. Which is my problem with Readyboost in general: it is supposed to be faster and tons of people say that they `feel that it is faster' but there isn't any objective measure thereof. I understand that Readyboost is supposed to work at a rather high level so that it will be hard to show its benefits.

Might seem aggressive but it's really only that people are concerned that others reading have accurate information provided. Your suggestion would leave the implication that 'Serge' is actually correct in his claims, whereas he's not.
Well Serge has claimed two things:
  1. I have Readyboost enabled for my HDD
  2. I see a 20% speed boost with readyboost when I used it on my raptors 2nd partition

Since I have frequented the Storage subforums for a while, I have long learned not to pay attention to any claims about performance improvement without some information on how the performance was measured.
I must have worded my post poorly, I really do not care about any performance improvement of loss of using Readboost on a HDD, but I would like to know how it works.
Some members of this forum are `proud' owners of a gigabyte iRAM, a solid state device with access times in the ns and STR in the 100MB/s range. However this device is connected via SATA, not USB. Would it not be a very smart choice to use this as a Readyboost cache?
If you look at -and I hate quoting GamePC, but it was the first source that I found- these numbers for the iRAM and these flash drive numbers you will notice that the iRAM has a significantly lower (100 ns vs 800ns) access time than the `high speed flash' device.

Long story short, it'd be nice to know how Serge got his copy of Vista to use a harddrive for Readyboost.

As some have mentioned, ReadyBoost is a technology which works (for people with limited RAM installed) because accessing flash memory falls between the speeds of accessing hard drive stoirage and system memory storage. Butchered onto a hard drive it'd reduce performance rather than enhance it.
I believe this information has been mentioned quite a few times in this thread. It is nice that you repeat it again.

So Serge, how did you get it to work?

If you got iRAM wouldn't it be better to just set the swap file on iRAM partition and also set it as the TEMP directory?

Huh.. I didn't want to un-earth this old thread again, because it is a bit terrible that it got started in the first place :) Well, I can see where the agressive tone is coming from, because the original poster made some real uneducated comments and appears to insist on his "findings".

It it this. Your average low cost USB stick won't gain you anything. This flash isn't very fast to start with. Even fast flash is no good. ReadyBoost is more than just the OS's capability to use a stick in such a fashion. In order to call it a ReadyBoost stick, it has to meet certain criteria, especially with view to a sustained transfer speed for small data blocks. That is where his HD fails, and that is where the other, even fast flash sticks fail.

There is a comparo of 7 fast sticks, including one specifically designed to work with ReadyBoost, which is the one in my signature. You can check the graphs, but the point made is that while the Kingston stick is not faster on the day-to-day tasks, it does leave all the other fast sticks behind for the purpose it was built for, which is being ReadyBoost compatible. - That's why I bought it (using the entire 1 GB exclusively for this purpose). What he has achived is absolutely useless, kids, don't try this at home :)

As you can see, I've got 2 GB system memory, and the stick gets accessed constantly, for example playing BF2. It is also interesting to see that for exampling unpacking OOo upon installation, with no other apps running makes this stick work alot, but it is really fast in comparison to a plain XP at that.

If it says your USB stick does 20 MB/s, then it does as a maximum, not for small random bits and pieces. If you want to benefit from RB, do not follow the non-sense in this thread but get a designed for stick.

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/hardware/peripherie/2007/test_7_usb-sticks_windows_readyboost/12/

edit for Mr Shiznit: [url=http://www.google.com/search?q=changing+windows+temp+directory&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a said:
Changing the temp directory[/url]
I'm properly chastised, *hides in shame* :)

Back