Windows Phone market share keeps shrinking!

I sure also hope that Windows 10 does change things around, but microsoft needs a lot of accessories to work for Windows for phones if they intend on getting my money again.

For example, the most popular smartwatch pebble doesn't work. Many home automation apps such as Wink don't work. A lot of smart medical devices don't work (heck, when many don't even work for Android, what hope does Windows have?)

Last edited:
I sure also hope that Windows 10 does change things around, but microsoft needs a lot of accessories to work for Windows for phones if they intend on getting my money again.

For example, the most popular smartwatch pebble doesn't work. Many home automation apps such as Wink don't work. A lot of smart medical devices don't work (heck, when many don't even work for Android, what hope does Windows have?)

I love my Windows phone, but my biggest complaint is that it doesn't work with anything. Developers don't want to support a device with 2.5% of the market.

Still, as a device it works wonderful. Looks good, works great, fast. Just lack of working with devices and apps.

Clear that hurdle, and I think more people would be interested in it.

Doesn't help that there are very fee phone options. I really liked WP, BUT if my only option is a year old M8 in a few months, I am going to be hard pressed to consider it

Well, WP devices are virus-free at this time. I still haven't seen anything out there that would work against WP but sheer user stupidity.

there are many issues but IMO the lack of phones is a non starter. Its the same issue that makes it impossible for many android makers to do well, they have very few options and the options are not compelling in any way.

MS needs to take the surface branding and style and apply it to a phone which is a direct competitor to the galaxy note. Except it needs to have a dock that truly turns it into a full functioning computer that can use keyboard mouse and external display. The sad thing is I bet Samsung will do a better job of this than MS sooner.

There an interesting story about the Pebble. Microsoft actually made an app for it and was willing to support the app themselves and a few other things like selling the watch at Microsoft Store. Sadly the CEO of Pebble killed it.

Here the link to the whole Pebble incident. Interesting enough, Microsoft updated the app recently but its not available to the public what so ever.

I'll switch when phones run full Windows 10 but that won't happen until ~10nm node so around 2016/2017 time frame. When this happens Windows will easily be #2 and a contender for #1.

I'll switch when phones run full Windows 10 but that won't happen until ~10nm node so around 2016/2017 time frame. When this happens Windows will easily be #2 and a contender for #1.

Sorry there is no way MS is going to be a contender for #1 in a mere 2 years unless they give away galaxy note level 4 phones for free to everyone.

Windows is already #1 for desktop OS with 90%+ marketshare so if someone made a full Windows phone that replaces a traditional laptop plus smartphone the market will transition very quickly. Modern UI mode for phone and desktop UI when docked. I've already dumped ARM tablet for full Windows Broadwell tablet because fanless, battery life is comparable, for the greater flexibility and the larger professional software selection. Will quickly jump on a full Windows phone and I'm very sure I'm not alone.

Windows is already #1 for desktop OS with 90%+ marketshare so if someone made a full Windows phone that replaces a traditional laptop plus smartphone the market will transition very quickly. Modern UI mode for phone and desktop UI when docked. I've already dumped ARM tablet for full Windows Broadwell tablet because fanless, battery life is comparable, for the greater flexibility and the larger professional software selection. Will quickly jump on a full Windows phone and I'm very sure I'm not alone.

Desktops and laptops sell at a rate less than 100 million per quarter so even if you transition EVERY one of those people to WP you can still only grab 400 million in a year. Meanwhile google ships a billion android devices a year. There is nothing besides what I mentioned that could convert that many android or apple device buyers that fast. You are completely unrealistic. Not even apple or google had success that fast in an exploding market. It would take 4+ years minimum in a market that is now a lot more mature and stable. On top of that when someone makes such a phone apple and google are very likely to follow very quickly especially google who would love to do something like that to invade MS desktop dominance.

Well, when last flagship for WP has been with us for some time, and while everyone shows their top phones on MWC , and MS shows some low-end crap... We need something more than old 930, something like s6 edge or flex 2. MS have means, they just have no idea how mobile system works. Maybe they will show 940 in fall. But... People will talk then of iPhone 6s or note 5 and not of last year phone

None of the cool gadgets have windows app, they either work with Android or iOS. Maybe it will change with unified code for Windows, but right now if I'd get a SmartWatch or one of those bose/Sammy wireless speakers, I need android phone. Yes Windows is nice, with great interface, Cortana is nice, but so what... Especially with new office for Android and service integrations with S6. I'd love to buy wp handset, but it will lack everything competition has

Well, when last flagship for WP has been with us for some time, and while everyone shows their top phones on MWC , and MS shows some low-end crap... We need something more than old 930, something like s6 edge or flex 2. MS have means, they just have no idea how mobile system works. Maybe they will show 940 in fall. But... People will talk then of iPhone 6s or note 5 and not of last year phone

None of the cool gadgets have windows app, they either work with Android or iOS. Maybe it will change with unified code for Windows, but right now if I'd get a SmartWatch or one of those bose/Sammy wireless speakers, I need android phone. Yes Windows is nice, with great interface, Cortana is nice, but so what... Especially with new office for Android and service integrations with S6. I'd love to buy wp handset, but it will lack everything competition has

What can the Galaxy S6 do that the S5 can't do? To tell you the truth, you don't need to upgrade your phone every year, its rather pointless.

Central and South America where Windows Phone is 2nd to Android i heard last, with Apple being last..

Mainly due to cost i am sure, but this paints a very different picture..

What can the Galaxy S6 do that the S5 can't do? To tell you the truth, you don't need to upgrade your phone every year, its rather pointless.

Different people upgrade at different times. If you own the galaxy S5 then yes I would say hold on to your device till at least S7 / Note 5, but many people have older phones and will want to upgrade this spring to fall. Any time in there if they are looking the 930 is going to look like a slow old choice. This is why every phone line needs flag ship updates at least yearly.

It is a real shame that such an excellent OS may not make it. I love my phone and if I had to go to apple or google because there was a lack of choice then that would be a very sad day.

Microsoft really needs to work on their image if they are going to win over the apple and google kids of today.

Central and South America where Windows Phone is 2nd to Android i heard last, with Apple being last..

Mainly due to cost i am sure, but this paints a very different picture..

Not by much.

EM-BD914_MSFT_9U_20150302105709.jpg

I came so close to dumping my iPhone for a Windows phone when I tried the M8 One Windows version. I loved everything about it except -- wait for it -- the appalling lack of app support. I hope WP can make it, if for nothing else, the competition it gives to the other platforms.

I came so close to dumping my iPhone for a Windows phone when I tried the M8 One Windows version. I loved everything about it except -- wait for it -- the appalling lack of app support. I hope WP can make it, if for nothing else, the competition it gives to the other platforms.

I do wonder what are the apps people keep looking for. To tell you the truth the only app I miss from my switch to android is Comixology, but that's not a deal breaker for me.

Just started using the Windows 8.1 on a laptop, and I am actually surprised how the MS managed to develop such a nice apps. Really wanna try the WP now. I actually like the start screen. Everything is in there. OneDrive, OneNote, Skype, Calender, etc. I am already dumping the Google Keep for OneDrive. That's how nice it is.

I miss my WP. Fucking t mobile has no decent WP options, at least when I moved from VZW they didn't.

I do wonder what are the apps people keep looking for. To tell you the truth the only app I miss from my switch to android is Comixology, but that's not a deal breaker for me.

Everyone has a different specialized app(s) that they use for a certain purpose. All it takes is one that WP doesn't have an it is a no go.

Windows Phone market Share keeps shrinking, now down to 2.7% Ouch! And it looks like Android keeps on rolling...wow.

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS25450615
Worth keeping in mind: This doesn't mean the platform is losing users, just that the competition is accruing new users at a faster pace.

Not good, but not glood-and-doom either.

I do wonder what are the apps people keep looking for.
Yeah, the app catalog is actually pretty decent at this point. There are a few missing odds and ends, but no deal breaking omissions as far as I'm aware.

The thing is not so much what apps do you lose by going to WP but what do you gain that makes it worth any possible loss? The answer is nothing. WP doesn't help you do anything you cannot do on android or ios, and but there are many things that you can do on android you cannot do on WP. So that leaves something else, maybe phones? Nope they hardly have any and the ones they have are mediocre where as android has a complete range of phones to select from. There is simply no motivation to move to WP other than if you really like fruity colors, which is dumb apple tried that and it didn't work.

This is why people think that main advantage WP would have is if some people built atom based phones that dock, now light users can legitimately have everything on one device and save money on getting a laptop or desktop. This is the only hole in the market I see MS being able to do anything with, very much like how they attacked tablets with hybrids.

It's not often when TTL and I would agree, but Microsoft has lost the ARM race. Its only hope is to do something so different, and that is the old Wintel Alliance. Just give up ARM and go full x86. Intel chips are going to get smaller and more efficient. We only need something that will last a day. So if Intel could do it with its x86, go for it. There are a lot of health devices that's Windows exe compliant but does not work on Windows phones. Many of those devices also don't even work on Android, so what hope does Windows phones have?

This still might not be a winning strategy, but why stay on a BURNING PLATFORM? Change it up. Do something else. Throwing more time and money on something that will never work is stupid. I really REALLY wish to have another true alternative to iOS and Android. And this current strategy is an absolute failure.

Maybe Microsoft is already secretly on the path to x86 mobile platform; they just cannot publicly say it or it would further kill their sales of the Lumias, but come on... Don't piss off however few fans you have left by not letting them know that what they are buying is DOA...

And as for Intel, with almost nobody using the Atom for their mobile devices, at least a 2% market would push Intel to provide better chips. This is getting silly. As ARM64 is getting better and better, Intel's performance lead is getting smaller. AMD can't even compete! So Intel needs Microsoft as much as Microsoft need Intel here. The new bigger iPad rumors better be getting Intel shaking!

Not good, but not glood-and-doom either.

I'd say it is. They are soon going to drop the Nokia name, that is going to hurt them. Nokia had high brand loyalty, well at least before they went to Windows.

Also, only 2 out of 3 Lumia phones have even been activated. So when you don't consider phones sitting in warehouse and on store shelves that they can't sell, their real market share of phones being used is under 2%.

So I have a similar view to the previous posters, I think their best hope is in x86 and in using phones as desktop replacements.

I on the other hand can't wait to get off of Android again and get back to WP. I have tried stock Androird and Cyanogen Mod, neither are as stable as WP8/8.1 were for me. I preferred the interface, I preferred the dialer, I preferred the notification system, and the camera was setup was far better (928). so for my daily usage, I gained stability, usability and better battery life with the 928 vs the SGS4. and my phone was white, not some fruity color.

if a future version was x86 based and allowed conventional windows programs to run, that would be killer. I really am interested in what the wp10 flagship devices are going to bring

If you guys look at the news about Microsoft and Intel, looks like Microsoft is ready to put in the Intel Atom X3 in phones! Hooah!

Well my wife just drowned her Lumia 510...So now I got a new mid range Lumia 830 and she gets my Lumia 810..

I had Windows Phone for a good while before they just couldn't cut it so I switched to Android. That was pre 7, I had a Lumia from work for a few days and absolutely loved the phone and the OS overall. I absolutely hated the minuscule pain the in ass market and horrible exchange support vs previous versions.

I ended up taking a massive downgrade in phone hardware to get over to Android on something I could use for work. Next time around I may try again but only if my exchange app is fully functional there hehe. I would love for windows phone to make a comeback though.

Here's my story, im surrounded by apple folk, and im a geek in these parts so they cross my desk from time to time. my first device ever was a samsung galaxy player 5.0. that thing took abuse from me i had that thing bricked and unbricked a few times before i knew what android was and how it differs.

then i got a brain fart and moved got a wp7.8 phone (while a wp8 phone also crossed my desk) the lack of an app ecosystem is astounding to the point where im wondering why MC still bothers. but continuing, sold the wp 7.8 phone and returned to android empowered with knowledge of the OS. i have never looked back from that day forward. the sheer customizability (yes im one of those, 2 hours upon first boot of a rooted phone goes into setting customizations) is astounding and imo it works better in communication with windows than a windows phone.

personally MC should give up and go sleep with the enemy over at google since its google's world and were just living in it anyways. they could do great things

Juice SSH
Openvpn client
VMware watchlist
CSIPSimple
Zoneminder zm view
tPacketCapture
WakeOnLAN
Jriver gizmo

Its the perfect phone for those who don't need a gazillion apps. Fast, stable, smooth, things like data pivots, glance, full offline maps etc all make it very useful.

Its the best choice for someone not tech savvy who doesn't want All the latest apps and games.

Back