Windows Phone Is Dead

try to deposit a check on winphone and let me know how that works out without a banking app.

I could go on..

That'd be super convenient, but honestly, I get so few checks it wouldn't be a deal break. Truth is the only thing I use bank apps for is to find an ATM...and I guess once or twice I looked for a branch.

Shhh, don't tell the rabid fambois at Ars technica, starting with the the local microcrap shill Peter.

No boobtube app, but there is a web browser isn't there? I have an android phone and never use the youtube app there either, the web works a lot better for my needs.
To each their own, I always found the app easier for keeping track of my subs. Of course if I am web browsing and a you tube link is involved I just use the browser. I was simply informing a possible convert to Winphone that some apps, Youtube among them, that one might be used to having on Android or iOS might be missing from a Winphone.

iOS is the gold standard. Android is the ghetto knockoff for the poor everyman. I don't really see where Windows Phone fits in. There's no market for it.

Typical iBot, so blinded by Apple's marketing you can't see how limited the iPhone has become.

iOS is a fisher price OS meant for people who can't be trusted to use a real OS.

Android is the OS of the masses, just like Windows is on the PC.
Fills the needs of everyone, from the high like the Samsung Note, to the basic $99 (or less) prepaid phone. And unlike Apple, there are multiple companies and dozen of phones to choose from. Even custom versions of Android that can be loaded on most phones.

If Microsoft hadn't dropped the ball, Windows phone could have been where Android is now. Don't know if it's possible for Microsoft to ever grab a decent market share this late in the game.

I don't care about having a "real OS" on a phone. I don't care about tinkering with a phone. I want something that just works, and that's iOS. Android is a flaky POS that feels like a cheap knockoff.

Android sells well but makes very little money for Google. And most of the Android phones that people are actually buying are free with contract or cheap phones on prepaid carriers. The premium Android phones don't actually sell that well, because the premium market primarily wants iPhones.

I don't care about having a "real OS" on a phone. I don't care about tinkering with a phone. I want something that just works, and that's iOS. Android is a flaky POS that feels like a cheap knockoff.

Android sells well but makes very little money for Google. And most of the Android phones that people are actually buying are free with contract or cheap phones on prepaid carriers. The premium Android phones don't actually sell that well, because the premium market primarily wants iPhones.

couldn't be more wrong or clueless.

The thing that always plagued the windows phone is the lack of apps.

Phone works great. Like any other product you may get a lemon now and then, but for the part the phone piece us solid.

Could care less about the OS of the phone ir has to work. For me, the windows phone I have (company provided) for the last year has worked great. Easy to use and navigate.

The thing that kills it comes back to lack of apps. When people suggest doing this or that and they get the app and you just have to walk away because who is developing apps for the windows phone? Not many.

No banking app through my bank, no strava app for my hobby, even MS Office on the windows phone in some cases is beaten by the iPhone.

Hate to beat a dead horse but since the app portion isn't present in comparison to other phones. There us no reason to look at the windows phone or recommend it.

Microsoft and Nokia have sold a total of 110 million Windows Phones compared to 4.5 billion iOS and Android phones in the same period.

Fuck me, that is staggering. I don't care what company you are or what you are selling. That is just an astronomical number.

I would be impressed if you told me 4.5 Billion people pay for clean water each year.....never mind a fucking piece of technology. :eek: :confused:

Typical iBot, so blinded by Apple's marketing you can't see how limited the iPhone has become.

iOS is a fisher price OS meant for people who can't be trusted to use a real OS.

Man you guys make me lol so hard sometimes. Good luck flying to the Moon with "real" phone.....I guess I'll just sit over sending texts, consuming content and making phone calls.

I can see why those Samsungs have gotten so big over the years.....it's hard to fit a kitchen sink in those little iPhones :rolleyes:

I can only imagine what life changing capabilities your phone must have that none of us iBot's have.

Do you analyze what you say before you say it?

My my, the the Android and iOS guys have started trolling each other. Rather effectively at that.

Iphones are great, most Android phones are great as well. Actually, most of the WinPhones are pretty good as well. It's just a phone guys, not a religion.

My my, the the Android and iOS guys have started trolling each other. Rather effectively at that.

Iphones are great, most Android phones are great as well. Actually, most of the WinPhones are pretty good as well. It's just a phone guys, not a religion.

this

this +1

Windows phones are super fine. Apps yes, problem. Hopefully if they stop changing platform and stick with universal apps it will get critical mass of apps.

Meanwhile I enjoy my windows phone though I do not recommend it to people with heavy apps need.

Not to make assumptions but it sounds like you have never touched android past maybe eclair. Nor does it sound like you fully understand android but I will give you that iOS does tent to just work for people. This is mostly due to an iPhone is an iPhone is an iPhone. With android you have alot of variety due to it being open source. I cant really address the premium market cuz all I have is anecdotes but I will say, I see either iPhone, or the flagship Samsung phones most. The only people I tend to see with the cheaper phones are older people.

I personally have a windows phone as my daily driver and I like the OS. The app support is shit but my battery lasts for ever, the GPS/Maps apps that are preloaded are the best I've ever used, and despite my phone being 40 dollars outright(lumia 635), its never lagged or slowed down or really had any OS related issues.

I will be switching back to android though, I tried it out, I saved a buttload of money over what the typical contract/renewal year would have cost me. But I miss the integration with my other devices and services that just never caught on with windows phone.

To each their own, I always found the app easier for keeping track of my subs. Of course if I am web browsing and a you tube link is involved I just use the browser. I was simply informing a possible convert to Winphone that some apps, Youtube among them, that one might be used to having on Android or iOS might be missing from a Winphone.

You are aware that has nothing to do with conversion but just requires Google to stop blocking Microsoft from having a YouTube app correct? They had one till Google forced its removal.

That's too bad. More competition is always good in my opinion. Unfortunately, if other companies are anything like the one I work for, that can't be helping matters at all. Corporate support for Windows phone has never materialized, and rumor is that they are planning on dropping support for Android as well. Apparently, finding good mobile device management options that support everything is a pipedream.

Personally, I switched back to an iPhone at my last phone refresh 1-1/2 years ago when they released the iPhone 6 Plus (leaving a Samsung S3 behind). Definitely a good decision for me since it is a corporate phone and since then they've continued to have Android support issues with our Airwatch app (excessive battery usage for example). Not sure what route I'll take this fall... if the rumors end up being false and they are still offering Android options. We don't even have a single MS option at this point though.

this +1

Windows phones are super fine. Apps yes, problem. Hopefully if they stop changing platform and stick with universal apps it will get critical mass of apps.

Unfortunately, objective reality, return rates and general lack of consumer adoption would disagree.

I remember when I thought my Palm Pre was "fine" too, simply because I owned one and was biased toward it not becoming a paperweight. Ofcourse then it was killed the following week.

As for Universal Apps being the savior, I'm not sure how people really believe that. Again, denial. Theres nothing particularly profound about them over the previous apps of 8. Even MS's first party UWA apps are just the same garbage 8.1 apps rolled forward into UWA. Windows 10 PC users sure aren't touching them since they're functionally crippled and crash prone.

The only thing that's apparent is Satya Nadella never really wanted to compete in phones. He's just letting the division die a dignified death and the latest stillborn 950 Lumias had already been in the pipeline.

You are aware that has nothing to do with conversion but just requires Google to stop blocking Microsoft from having a YouTube app correct? They had one till Google forced its removal.

Couldn't MS just handle it via HTML5? Maybe it's just me, but I never open the YouTube app in IOS. It may be opened by some other app, but I always open videos in FB or a web browser. For the most part, I think having an app for YouTube is unnecessary.

Regardless of that, there is no app for it at this time. I was simply giving advise based on the current state of the MS app situation. I was not assigning blame.
My advise remains the same. If the apps you need are there, a winphone will likely work just fine for you. If they are not, it is something to take into account.

I looked into switching. I did not for a few reasons. No etrade or citibank apps, I photo deposit checks regularly. No youtube or google maps app. I don't care why there is not one, only that there is not one. Last but not least, and the reason iOS is also non starter for me, limited phone selection.

I think everyone should read Thurrott's take on this, as he's normally very pro-MS but even he is facing facts on this one.

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/windows-phone/64299/the-long-slow-decline-of-windows-phone
This isn’t negativity, folks, it’s the truth. And for every person out there who can make the semi-hysterical and claim, sputtering that “well, Windows phone is just fine for me, thank you very much,” I will point to the hundreds of millions of people who disagree with you. And, sorry, find you sort of sad. (No worries, I’m right there with you.)

My boss a couple years ago needed to take a photo of some boxes of toner we had stored for the iGens that had bad lot codes on them so he pulled out his iPhone and snapped a few pics, with and without the flash. He was complaining that the quality was bad and made the codes unreadable so I pulled out my (crappy iPhone copy) android phone and snapped a pic that was bright, crisp and clearly showed the codes on the boxes. He just shook his head and said he always used Apple products and loved the computers because they 'just work' but thought the android phone just worked a lot better. We both got a laugh out of that.

I think everyone should read Thurrott's take on this, as he's normally very pro-MS but even he is facing facts on this one.

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/windows-phone/64299/the-long-slow-decline-of-windows-phone

So, there are a lot of people who disagree with me? Are they willing to buy me an iPhone 6s or Galaxy 6 Edge? No? Then shut the hell up! I am not going to run out and spend $750 on a phone that will do me no better than what I have now with my HTC One M8 for Windows.

How about this: There are billions of Windows computer users that disagree with Linux being a good Desktop OS. Guess it is time to throw out your Linux distro and get with the program. :rolleyes:

So, there are a lot of people who disagree with me? Are they willing to buy me an iPhone 6s or Galaxy 6 Edge? No? Then shut the hell up! I am not going to run out and spend $750 on a phone that will do me no better than what I have now with my HTC One M8 for Windows.

How about this: There are billions of Windows computer users that disagree with Linux being a good Desktop OS. Guess it is time to throw out your Linux distro and get with the program. :rolleyes:

Linux has more marketshare than Windows Phone does, and its marketshare is increasing.

Fuck me, that is staggering. I don't care what company you are or what you are selling. That is just an astronomical number.

I would be impressed if you told me 4.5 Billion people pay for clean water each year.....never mind a fucking piece of technology. :eek: :confused:

This is the best post yet in a thread full of complaints and defensive remarks.

I really liked wp as an os. Didn't use it long because of the issue of missing apps but ms did a good job building the os. Awful job marketing it and way too late to the party.

I really liked wp as an os. Didn't use it long because of the issue of missing apps but ms did a good job building the os. Awful job marketing it and way too late to the party.

That is one thing that is sad about Microsoft and their products. They are not use to having market their stuff so when it comes to stuff they need to they fail to do so correctly.

The Zune was much better than the iPod, but not marketed very well so those that bought it loved it but not enough bought it. Same with windows phones. they are great products, but not marketed very well and don't sell very well.

That is one thing that is sad about Microsoft and their products. They are not use to having market their stuff so when it comes to stuff they need to they fail to do so correctly.

The Zune was much better than the iPod, but not marketed very well so those that bought it loved it but not enough bought it. Same with windows phones. they are great products, but not marketed very well and don't sell very well.

That's a bit of a false equivalence. Zune was a much better MP3 player than WP is a phone. Otherwise cell stores wouldn't get most Winphones returned within the first 2 weeks - just ask any manager in a cell store what the return rate on them is.

Linux has more marketshare than Windows Phone does, and its marketshare is increasing.

I agree with the first statement, but linux going from roughly 1% in 2003 to roughly 1.5% in 2016 is so small, it's probably within the margin of error.

As an aside, when trying to find that figure, I stumbled across a post where someone claimed Linux would be at 10% by 2006 :p

MS was late to the game and their odds of success was about as good as Linux taking over the desktop (OK maybe a bit better than that, but not much). In the DAP market, Apple killed everyone. Rio's Karma was a much better DAP. As I recall, Zune wasn't gapless when it came out, which would make the Karma better than it too.

Nevertheless, by 2004, or 2005, Rio was gone. Honestly, even today Apple isn't as good as the Rio, but it doesn't matter, because the market for stand alone DAPs is minimal.

That's a bit of a false equivalence. Zune was a much better MP3 player than WP is a phone. Otherwise cell stores wouldn't get most Winphones returned within the first 2 weeks - just ask any manager in a cell store what the return rate on them is.

Not really. You have to look at why people return them. Does the phone not function as a phone? Does it stop working after a week? Or is the problem just that due to developers not making things for the phone in last place they can't use all the apps they are use to and return it because of that. If you are ok with the lack of apps the phone is great. Personally the only complaint I have ever heard is lack of apps, even here that is what people complain about in this thread. But that is not the fault of the phone itself. That is due to people not making apps because they don't want to. If every gas station within 400 miles of you suddenly closed down tomorrow due that mean that every gas power car is a piece of shit and doesn't work? People seem to confuse what is the fault of the object in question and others not doing things to help you use if. Just like drivers with Vista.

So I stand by my statement, windows phones are great products that suffer from poor advertisement.

I can see why those Samsungs have gotten so big over the years.....it's hard to fit a kitchen sink in those little iPhones :rolleyes:

I can only imagine what life changing capabilities your phone must have that none of us iBot's have.

Do you analyze what you say before you say it?

Lets see.... What does my Note 4 have that current iPhones lack.

It has an easy replaceable battery.
It has an SD slot (so it cost me $22 to add 64GB of flash for a total of 96GB)
Higher resolution screen 2560x1440 vs 1920x1080
Slightly larger screen 5.7 vs 5.5, even though the Note 4 is slightly shorter
IR blaster to use it as a remote control.
Plus the pen which is great for making notes when you need more than just text.

All for 40% less money ($475 vs $850)

MS was late to the game and their odds of success was about as good as Linux taking over the desktop (OK maybe a bit better than that, but not much). In the DAP market, Apple killed everyone. Rio's Karma was a much better DAP. As I recall, Zune wasn't gapless when it came out, which would make the Karma better than it too.

Nevertheless, by 2004, or 2005, Rio was gone. Honestly, even today Apple isn't as good as the Rio, but it doesn't matter, because the market for stand alone DAPs is minimal.

I think Rio may have been done in by the high failure rate on the 1.8" IBM/Hitachi Shitstar drives they used. I had two and they both died pretty quickly. After that Rio stopped making new devices and there weren't a whole lot of disk-based DAPs. The smaller guys all stuck with cheap flash players except Cowon with their iAudio X5.

All MS needs is to support Cisco AnyConnect and Cisco Jabber and they would be selling a bunch of phones.

The iPhones and Androids are like Photoshop, great software and total overkill if you just want to crop vacation pics. Really awesome that iOS/Android can do everything and then some, but most business users don't actually need any of that functionality. What business users need is to be able to stay in touch with and connect to the mothership.

Inexpensive smartphones that run Windows will only succeed in the enterprise market, and for that the enterprise apps need to be supported. Consumers will always buy those $700 devices for reasons unknown. Businesses will look at the price/performance and Windows phones shine in that, especially when Windows 10 finally comes to the phones.

Those things on your list matter more to some than to others. People have different needs, preferences, priorities, etc. For example, I personally wouldn't necessarily say "no" to more features, but if that's the kind of sacrifice it takes to avoid a Samsung phone, so be it! :D

BTW, apart from apps. Windows phones are still the best in making quality photos :) At least thsi one is very good ;)

I agree with the first statement, but linux going from roughly 1% in 2003 to roughly 1.5% in 2016 is so small, it's probably within the margin of error.

As an aside, when trying to find that figure, I stumbled across a post where someone claimed Linux would be at 10% by 2006 :p

LInux is pretty much everywhere. You probably use 1/2 a dozen "linux boxes" or more every day w/o even knowing it.

It has an easy replaceable battery.
It has an SD slot (so it cost me $22 to add 64GB of flash for a total of 96GB)
Higher resolution screen 2560x1440 vs 1920x1080
Slightly larger screen 5.7 vs 5.5, even though the Note 4 is slightly shorter
IR blaster to use it as a remote control.
Plus the pen which is great for making notes when you need more than just text.

All for 40% less money ($475 vs $850)

Don't forget that the note 4 has a faster processor, almost double in fact, and twice the cores. A 2.7 GHZ Quad-core Snapdragon 805 in the note vs a Apple A8 dual-core 1.4GHz in the IPhone... oh and three times the ram. :D

On topic, I rather enjoyed my Windows phone, it was a shame the lack in Apps, not nearly as lacking as a found my most recent BB.

well duh... The windows phone is a useless piece of shit. Glad it gone.

I wouldn't say that, its actually a very good system, its just not popular, and you probably haven't even tried it. SMS messaging is actually better and more intuitive than on android, calls work well, and the accounts do integrate quite well with the environment.

The only issue I really have is that it doesn't have the same apps and app support as android and IOS. If it did, it would be golden.

Seriously try it, its alot more intuitive than IOS and android pages and pages of just icons.

Also, Lumia phones have some of the best cameras in phones anywhere. Nokia made sure of that with their PUREVIEW setups.

The carrier specific OS crap needs to be handled. Kinda feel they need to say "here's the device, here's the MSRP, you can make carrier APPS but the OS is ours".

Wish Google took a tad bit more of a hard-line with some of their stuff (handset makers and carriers). Having to wait 6+ months for an OS update or 1+ for a major exploit patch is insane. So many phones will be exploitable by Stagefright because of that.

This was one of the reasons I bought unlocked Z10's from Blackberry a couple of years ago. Updates will come from BB, not the cell carriers.

Back