Windows Phone And Blackberry Head For Extinction

Google has no interest in desktops. Everything they do is either related to Android or the web. You don't need a full fledged desktop OS to access web services.

Windows Phone is dead and I don't see it coming back. Not even a Surface Phone could make up for the lack of apps unless Microsoft buys AMIDuOS and integrates it into Windows somehow. It is ironic that the Linux-based Android has all the apps and Windows phone does not considering the tables were turned in the desktop OS wars (with Windows having all of the programs and desktop Linux having none).

Google has no interest in desktops. Everything they do is either related to Android or the web. You don't need a full fledged desktop OS to access web services.

Agreed on the first part. As for the second part, you don't need a glass to drink orange juice either but it beats tilting the carton directly into your mouth.

How the hell do you use a browser with a remote?
There are tons of all-in-one remotes. I have one with a keyboard and track on one side and a regular remote with buttons on the other.

That doesn't even make sense. Touch has a LOT to do with livingroom use if you stop thinking of the box as a set-top box(which it's not) and start thinking of it as a livingroom PC(which it is). Maybe I do more with my device than you do, and that's fine, but it doesn't change the fact that Android is laughably bad compared to Windows for actual use as a PC.
So now you're using touch in your living room PC and now Android is bad for that? ;) Sorry man no one is going to use their living room TV for productivity. It's just not designed for it period. It doesn't matter if it's Windows or not. A TV has a certain use case and if it's in your living room I highly doubt you are using it for productivity. Now is it possible? Sure, but that's not the mainstream use case. It's just not.

There are plenty of things I would give the nod to Windows for but if you are talking HTPC/set top box use it's average at best without software and that same software that you would install can be installed on everything from Apple TV to Windows. It's just not something that only Windows can do well. Hell even consoles do it better.

Windows is great for desktop/PC use but it's just average in other use cases.

There are tons of all-in-one remotes. I have one with a keyboard and track on one side and a regular remote with buttons on the other.

So then you're using a keyboard and mouse. Thanks for clarifying.

So now you're using touch in your living room PC and now Android is bad for that? ;) Sorry man no one is going to use their living room TV for productivity.

How would I use touch in my livingroom? The fact is that Android and its apps are designed around touch, so if you try to use them with a keyboard and mouse they don't work as well as you'd expect. I'm not talking about productivity, I'm talking about basic computer use. I used an Android box for a year and when I switched to a Windows machine it was night and day, I'd NEVER go back to Android in the livingroom. You'd have to pay me to do it. Something as simple as looking up a recipe or sending an email is worlds better on Windows when using a keyboard/mouse.

Something as simple as looking up a recipe or sending an email is worlds better on Windows when using a keyboard/mouse.

I guess that's the thing, when you have a Windows PC connected to a TV it's still a Windows PC that does all that it can do especially when using a mouse a keyboard. So it's a lot more flexible than typical set top box device.

So then you're using a keyboard and mouse. Thanks for clarifying.

How would I use touch in my livingroom? The fact is that Android and its apps are designed around touch, so if you try to use them with a keyboard and mouse they don't work as well as you'd expect. I'm not talking about productivity, I'm talking about basic computer use. I used an Android box for a year and when I switched to a Windows machine it was night and day, I'd NEVER go back to Android in the livingroom. You'd have to pay me to do it. Something as simple as looking up a recipe or sending an email is worlds better on Windows when using a keyboard/mouse.

Like I said, if you are typing out a email message in the living room then you just aren't in the mainstream. Why would I look up a recipe in the living room when I cook in the kitchen? o_O

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Like I said, if you are typing out a email message in the living room then you just aren't in the mainstream. Why would I look up a recipe in the living room when I cook in the kitchen? o_O

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I mean, if you're going to nit-pick the point I'm making by saying you wouldn't look up a recipe when obviously I'm referring to ALL web use, that's your business. My main argument is that Android is at its best "as good as" Windows in some scenarios and at worst far worse than Windows in many others when it comes to "livingroom PC" use. Why would I want a sub-par solution when I can have one that's just plain better?

I mean, if you're going to nit-pick the point I'm making by saying you wouldn't look up a recipe when obviously I'm referring to ALL web use, that's your business. My main argument is that Android is at its best "as good as" Windows in some scenarios and at worst far worse than Windows in many others when it comes to "livingroom PC" use. Why would I want a sub-par solution when I can have one that's just plain better?

Yes, I agree. I'm sure it makes an awesome phone OS that everyone wants to buy. :LOL:

Had a Windows phone. Zero support from app makers or Microsoft itself. Good riddance.

I was a Windows Phone holdout until very recently. I had a Lumia and loved it. Unfortunately, my device was not slated to receive the Win10 upgrade, and Verizon was not offering any devices :( I was willing to hold out for the Surface Phone but with no solid info on release dates I caved and went with a Galaxy S7 Edge, which I am happy with.

Typing this on my Verizon Lumia Icon. All you need to do is download the windows insider app and sign up for updates directly from Microsoft. I'm running the latest stable build of win phone 10 now and it's working great. Honestly this phone is the best smartphone I've ever had and the camera is terrific. I'll be sad to see it go when it wears out...

What does it do that other top of the line androids or iphones don't?

The problem isn't the OS of even the hardware, hell my 950 has a great camera, Continuum and even an iris scanner. The problem is apps, apps and apps.

its stable over its lifespan and doesn't get neutered or EOL'd by updates. give it the occasional soft boot and that's it. no need for jail breaks, rooting or roms. if you are light on app usage, but heavy on web, photos, phone calls and texts, the WP platform was excellent.

Dropping the Android App on WP program and then Intel dropping the x86 SoC were the nails in the coffin for the platform. when my 928 finally goes, i'll revert to android, again, and maybe with the third attempt at it, it will work at least as well as 3.5yr old phone does now.

for me I find that the OS being updated regularly without the need to buy the next phone, root ,jailbreak has been a major convenience. Lack of apps hasn't hit me too hard as I use my phone for calls, web,email, navigation mostly. My needs are met and 2 plus years later still being met. It's purely subjective. I will probably go for an unlocked midrange android for the next one since the specs are good enough for my use case.

for me I find that the OS being updated regularly without the need to buy the next phone, root ,jailbreak has been a major convenience. Lack of apps hasn't hit me too hard as I use my phone for calls, web,email, navigation mostly. My needs are met and 2 plus years later still being met. It's purely subjective. I will probably go for an unlocked midrange android for the next one since the specs are good enough for my use case.

Go with the Nexus line when you switch. You will receive every update as soon as Google releases them.

For me the death of WP came when they started *removing* apps that I used. Not just not making new ones, actively removing the ones I was already using. I had 4 different WP devices, and really wanted the phone to do well. I like the look, the UI, and the technology, they just never made the push it really needed to break into the upper echelon.

It's a shame that Blackberry chased the tablet market instead of putting that time and money into the apps on their QNX platform. We use them in the office with BES and it's handy as hell to have an always on VPN to the mothership. POSIX compliance makes ports pretty simple (I compiled a version of SCUMMVM pretty quickly) and I like their dev environment much better than the Android NDK (admittedly, already being familiar with QT helped). I have a Passport and a Note4 and I still favour the Passport as a daily driver; it's simply easier to get work done. I sincerely hope someone with cash and vision can buy them out.

Back