Windows Phone 8.1 rollout starts today!

Unknown-One

[H]F Junkie
Keep an eye out, your phone should be notifying you of the update soon.

Anyone with a Lumia handset will also be getting new device firmware to go along with the OS update, enabling new hardware features (improved camera software, 5.1 surround recording for videos, updated Dolby Headphone / Virtual Surround profiles, Miracast support, etc.) on some handsets.

If you're already running the Dev Preview, you already have the OS update without the firmware. Firmware should reach you at the same time as non-preview phones.

I have been using the development version on my Lumia 820. It is pretty awesome. -- especially Cortana and gapless music playback.

Im sure it will be awhile for my AT&T 920 to get it but Im excited for it.

Heh. That launch was my last WP-related purchase, ever. It was cheap... but that was all I could say for it. I still have that phone, I'll go see if the update is available for it.

EDIT: Nothing yet.

Last edited:
Knowing Verizon it'll be at least two months for it to the 928 and Icon. But unlike sprint it'll at least get the update

I've been wanting this for quite some time. WP 8.1 looks awesome.

It seems like it's been taking forever. Too bad I can't just download the finished product from Microsoft or Nokia. I hate how with Smartphones, you're at the mercy of your wireless carrier to roll out the updates. Don't see why a phone company should get to tell me what OS version I should be running on the phone and when.

I'm really not used to this yet, I avoided smartphones and cell phones for the longest time. Lumia 920 was the first one I ever cared enough to buy. I like the things it can do, like taking pictures (It looks even better than the Kodak DC210 I've been using for years), integrated Microsoft Office, and having emergency maps. But I don't like the phone company telling me what I can do with my hardware, or how limited the data plans are. After experimenting with a few levels of service, I found that it was best to get the cheapest data plan, and then disable data usage in order to avoid having it go over on accident. So my data plan is literally emergency only, while I stick with texting, Wi-Fi, and normal phone service.

Last edited:
I've been wanting this for quite some time. WP 8.1 looks awesome.

It seems like it's been taking forever. Too bad I can't just download the finished product from Microsoft or Nokia. I hate how with Smartphones, you're at the mercy of your wireless carrier to roll out the updates. Don't see why a phone company should get to tell me what OS version I should be running on the phone and when.

I'm really not used to this yet, I avoided smartphones and cell phones for the longest time. Lumia 920 was the first one I ever cared enough to buy. I like the things it can do, like taking pictures (It looks even better than the Kodak DC210 I've been using for years), integrated Microsoft Office, and having emergency maps. But I don't like the phone company telling me what I can do with my hardware, or how limited the data plans are. After experimenting with a few levels of service, I found that it was best to get the cheapest data plan, and then disable data usage in order to avoid having it go over on accident. So my data plan is literally emergency only, while I stick with texting, Wi-Fi, and normal phone service.

You mean with non-iPhone and non-Nexus phones, you're at the mercy of the carrier. Both the official Apple and Google phones get updates worldwide very quickly. Google's takes a few weeks to roll out, while Apple's are available immediately to everyone. If you get a Windows Phone or the vast majority of Android phones, you should expect arbitrary delays as a matter of course.

This isn't to diminish Lumia Cyan too much. If you really wanted the Windows Phone 8.1 features right away, there was always the developer preview.

You mean with non-iPhone and non-Nexus phones, you're at the mercy of the carrier. Both the official Apple and Google phones get updates worldwide very quickly. Google's takes a few weeks to roll out, while Apple's are available immediately to everyone. If you get a Windows Phone or the vast majority of Android phones, you should expect arbitrary delays as a matter of course.

This isn't to diminish Lumia Cyan too much. If you really wanted the Windows Phone 8.1 features right away, there was always the developer preview.

Well, I... kind of thought you had to be an actual developer to get that. I'm still going to school for my Computer Science degree, and I haven't written any programs, so I'm not actually a developer yet.

Yeah, it kind of sucks that Apple is fastest at updating, because I don't like iOS at all. Let's just say that my Dad offered to pay my phone bill and keep my phone upgraded, but only if I would get an iPhone. I still said no to iPhone. I have a surprising amount of long-running, deep-seated conflict with his side of the family over the fact that I don't want/like Apple. I have to admit, always annoys the heck out of me when they implement some feature first or have some little advantage that they keep bragging about.

Another excited WP8 user. I really like my Lumia 925 but I'm sure T-mobile will delay the update until next year sometime.

That's good news. One of the feature that I am looking forward is VPN access.

My Lumia 1020 under AT&T carrier still has a status of 'under testing' on the Nokia's website. I guess it will be couple months till it finally rolling out on my phone.

Well, I... kind of thought you had to be an actual developer to get that. I'm still going to school for my Computer Science degree, and I haven't written any programs, so I'm not actually a developer yet.

Yeah, it kind of sucks that Apple is fastest at updating, because I don't like iOS at all. Let's just say that my Dad offered to pay my phone bill and keep my phone upgraded, but only if I would get an iPhone. I still said no to iPhone. I have a surprising amount of long-running, deep-seated conflict with his side of the family over the fact that I don't want/like Apple. I have to admit, always annoys the heck out of me when they implement some feature first or have some little advantage that they keep bragging about.

You have to register as a developer, but only in the most basic sense (and it's free). Microsoft did this with full knowledge that many of the people who grabbed the WP 8.1 preview were just enthusiasts who wanted an early peek and were willing to take a few risks.

Also, please don't be one of those folks who carries a grudge against a company! Unless a company is genuinely guilty of serious offenses, or it's clear that they're hopelessly behind, you should never rule them out. It's both practical (you may eventually need/want what a company has) and helps you avoid stereotyping.

I use Android, iOS and Windows Phone regularly, and it's amazing how a lot of the opinions on those platforms are based on preconceptions and irrational hatred rather than facts. iOS is not overpriced, strictly for kids or a bastion of oppression. Android is not spying on everything you do, and it's rarely laggy or prone to assault from viruses. Windows Phone is not a ghost town for apps. Once you learn to see tech for what it really is rather what you imagine it to be, you can enjoy it a lot more.

I use Android, iOS and Windows Phone regularly, and it's amazing how a lot of the opinions on those platforms are based on preconceptions and irrational hatred rather than facts. iOS is not overpriced, strictly for kids or a bastion of oppression. Android is not spying on everything you do, and it's rarely laggy or prone to assault from viruses. Windows Phone is not a ghost town for apps. Once you learn to see tech for what it really is rather what you imagine it to be, you can enjoy it a lot more.
QFT! These devices are tools; nothing more, nothing less.

I would rather the option to change the size of the keyboard over anything. I hit comma all the time and it's very frustrating. Almost 2 years with this phone and I still have this issue :(

Windows phone 8.1 looks great and I'm glad they keep making it better, now they just need to work on the app store. I'm not a huge app user and the windows store has most of the apps I want, but the quality of the apps is just soo sub par compared to the same app on android or ios. Heck microsoft develops features for their apps on android and ios that they don't even bother with on their own phone

I really like the feel of the OS and the nokia hardware is awesome. I just can't get past the quality of the apps. I don't need 500k apps, but cripes all mighty, atleast make sure the few mainstream apps you have are done decently and have the same features the android and ios apps have. Why isn't microsoft opening it's pockets and paying these big name developers to work on the windows phone apps??

Just keep in mind, Miracast is only supported on Quad-Core devices. That means you'll need a Lumia 930, Lumia 1520, or Lumia Icon to take advantage. Other phones will be limited to video-out through the USB port.

You can see a feature highlight reel at the link below. Swype-style keyboard rocks :D
http://conversations.nokia.com/2014/04/02/windows-phone-8-1-update-everything-you-need-to-know/

ewps! not on my 520 haha! Guess I'll have to save up for a 930 or Icon.

You have to register as a developer, but only in the most basic sense (and it's free). Microsoft did this with full knowledge that many of the people who grabbed the WP 8.1 preview were just enthusiasts who wanted an early peek and were willing to take a few risks.

Yeah, I'll definitely keep an eye out for stuff like that in the future. Thanks for the info. I definitely like getting a peek at software that's unreleased. I may even try to develop Windows Phone software as I learn programming.

Also, please don't be one of those folks who carries a grudge against a company! Unless a company is genuinely guilty of serious offenses, or it's clear that they're hopelessly behind, you should never rule them out. It's both practical (you may eventually need/want what a company has) and helps you avoid stereotyping.

I'm probably more pissed off at my family for trying to force iPhone down my throat than I am with Apple as a company.

It's not so much that I hate Apple, they're just a company. It's more about the lack of choice that they represent. I don't particularly like iTunes, and I also don't like how there are fewer customization options and controls. It might be easier, but for me it's hard to accept a lack of control over my experience in exchange for convenience.

The Apple users are always talking about the post-PC world, and frankly it gives me nightmares. I don't want to live in that world where I have no options, everything is disposable, and everything is decided for me.

It would be most accurate to say that I'm terrified of what the Apple philosophy is doing to our society. Regardless of the technological merits of their hardware/software.

Technologically, I imagine they're all fairly similar because they all run on ARM SOCs and are trying to compete with each other.

Yeah, people do make a lot of generalizations about the OS functionality. Misleading people or misrepresenting things never really does any good. It's better to be accurate.

Last edited:
So, I recieved my Lumia 925 last night, and got it all updated to 8.1. I had forgotten just how speedy these devices ran. It's just the little things, even on my iPhone 6, there's some lag opening apps at times. Not so, on this Lumia.

I do need to figure out how to flash it to a "global" version with no AT&T settings in there.

I run WP 8.1 on a 2.4 year old Lumia 810...no issue and it is everything WP 7 and 8 should have been from the get go...

So, I recieved my Lumia 925 last night, and got it all updated to 8.1. I had forgotten just how speedy these devices ran. It's just the little things, even on my iPhone 6, there's some lag opening apps at times. Not so, on this Lumia.

I do need to figure out how to flash it to a "global" version with no AT&T settings in there.

xda developers should be able to assist with that

Back