Windows Phone 7: Code Name Mango has gone RTM

Unknown-One

[H]F Junkie
Terry Myerson said:
I wanted to drop into the Windows Phone Blog briefly to update you on an important milestone. Earlier this morning, the Windows Phone development team officially signed off on the release to manufacturing (RTM) build of “Mango” – the latest version of the Windows Phone operating system. This marks the point in the development process where we hand code to our handset and mobile operator partners to optimize Mango for their specific phone and network configurations. Here on the Windows Phone team, we now turn to preparing for the update process. The Mango update for current Windows Phone handsets will be ready this fall, and of course will come pre-installed on new Windows Phones.

In May, we officially took the wraps off of Mango, a release including hundreds of new features that create a smarter and easier approach to communications and apps, while delivering the best web experience. My favorites?

· Our unique new email Conversation View which helps me to efficiently participate in long email discussions with my friends and co-workers.

· Threads that bring together my text, IM, and Facebook chat all into one conversation.

· App Multitasking, enabling me to efficiently work on my email, listen to music, and then pop in and out of Words By Post games when it is my turn. Mango also connects apps to search results and deepens integration within the Hubs like Music and Video and Pictures.

· Internet Explorer 9 for fast web browsing and support for new HTML 5 web sites.

We can’t wait to get Mango in your hands so you can experience all the new features for yourself and give us feedback on where to go next. As we reach additional milestones we will be back to share more but until then, thank you for your support of Windows Phone.

-Terry
Source: Windows Team Blog Post

Build number for the final version of Mango appears to be 7720, which is 59 builds newer than Mango Beta 2 (7661), and a full 330 builds newer than NoDo (7390).
Looks like we're just waiting on carriers to push the update, at this point :D

If they release some killer hardware with 4G by Fall on Verizon, I may sell my T-Bolt and pay cash for one. I really like what MS is doing with WP7.

I really want a 7 Phone but it seems like there are not really any apps available. All the apps are iPhone, Android, and sometimes Blackberry.

I'll be biting late this year...maybe earlier, if I can get a used Focus cheap.
I've played with the phones in store, and the experience is wicked smooth.
As for apps, yeah, it seems like some are missing. But most of the big functionality is there. And I'm not sure a smaller selection is such a bad thing. When I use a friend/family member's iPhone and search for an app, I have to go through pages of poorly rated identical looking apps to find what I want.

I'm really looking forward to Mango. Of course, after coming from iOS, as long as my phone works I'm stoked.

I really want a 7 Phone but it seems like there are not really any apps available. All the apps are iPhone, Android, and sometimes Blackberry.

For phone that's only about 8 months old the 28,000 app library of Windows Phone is pretty good. You don't see a lot of the one off things like web site substitute apps but there's plenty of good games and general function programs and it's growing at about 1000 per week.

Just updated to the Mango ISV beta and it's just great. Everything is fast and stable and it's just a great phone. Microsoft just needs to stick with it and keep improving it and get slick Nokia designs. In time they will start gaining traction.

Does anyone know how large of a download the Mango release will be?

Edit: I found it, its almost 750mb

Mango 7712 is awesome..

RTM should be better..

I actually like having twitter on my phone.. wasn't sure how I'd feel about it.

I decided to follow a number of tech industry people.. including some of the WP7 guys.. I was able to use the new contact groups to dump them into a "Twitter Only" group and pin a tile for the group to my homescreen.

It rotates a picture collage of all of their user icons and flips over to reveal the most recent tweet from the group. Tapping takes me in and shows me the tiles of those users with their latest tweets, or I have a private "what's new" feed for just people in that group.

This enabled me to restrict my "What's new" in the people hub to be only people in my contacts list.. so twitter doesn't flood my feed.

Works beautifully.

The WP7 App market's numbers would nearly double if they count the demos.

More developers would come if we had access to ports and other system functions, which mango sdk now nearly completely ratifies. So here's hoping that WP will now be glorious.

I'm still on a dumb phone, but I want my first smart phone to be a WP7 :)

If they release some killer hardware with 4G by Fall on Verizon, I may sell my T-Bolt and pay cash for one. I really like what MS is doing with WP7.

Exactly what I want to do. I need to find some poor sap to buy this tbolt.

Back