Windows - New Build - Need Help!

Melee

Gawd
I'm building a new PC soon and have been wrestling with sticking to my tried and true Windows 7 or taking the leap and upgrading to Windows 10. When Windows 8 released, I upgraded and regretted it more than anything else I've done PC related. Everything was buggy & cumbersome and I ended up having to reset everything and go back to Windows 7. It was a giant PITA. I understand that Windows 10 seems improved over Windows 8 but I'd still like some input on what you guys think of 10 so far, especially those switching from 7 to 10. Would you guys recommend sticking to Windows 7 or upgrading to Windows 10? Does Windows 10 have any issues with games or programs that were released before it was created?

I've read there's "spyware" and collection of personal data with Windows 10 that I'm not interested in. I have nothing to hide but having all of my actions monitored and analyzed just makes me extremely uncomfortable.

It appears they're working to fix certain things and an update is due next month but I will have my PC built within the next week. Is there a way to use Windows 7 but install and test Windows 10 without having to reformat and lose all my stored files? I have little to no experience with these things as I've always kept it simple and been solely a Windows 7 user since it was released.

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks for the help!

Personally, I've been using Win10 through the Insider Program and I don't see anything in Win7/8/8.1 worth holding out for. Win10 does everything that *I* need it to do, will be supported longer, and introduce new features (DirectX 12 support, and likely others as time goes on) that made me upgrade. Everything I have runs Win10, with the exception of VMs I use to run 7/8/8/1 so I can help people through issues.

There is no *need* to run Windows 10 right now, but 10 is solid enough that there are likely few reasons (other than being averse to change, or software support issues, old driver support, etc) to *not* upgrade.

Having said all that, if you have an extra hard drive, go with Win7, patch it all up, make sure it is activated, then make a backup. Save it to a secondary drive, or clone it to another, whatever you need to do to make sure you can restore it. Once you're absolutely sure, you can then take advantage of the Windows 10 free upgrade. Run it for a while. If you don't like it, then restore your Win7 backup and continue to use that.

The only thing I can say is, don't expect Windows 10 to be 7. If you expect it to be the same, you'll be disappointed and just toss 7 back on. If you are going to try it, give it a good long try.

It appears they're working to fix certain things and an update is due next month but I will have my PC built within the next week.

The update, code-named "Threshold 2" (the official name is apparently not known yet) comes out on Monday, so you won't need to wait for that.

Personally, I'd just go Win7.

I have no use for Windows 8 or Windows 10.

I don't have time to deal with locking down an OS that's actively spying on me and keylogging me.

Thanks for the input guys. I truly appreciate it. I enjoy trying new things but it also makes me extremely nervous at the same time.

@ D4rkn3ss, what is it that makes you prefer 8 over 7/10? I know there are other who feel that way but when I tried it a while ago, it was a cluttered mess and everything was designed for touch screen. That would be fine except my desktop isn't touch screen so it didn't work out well. lol

@ Delemon, thank you for your insight on 10. I appreciate the explanation on how to try them both, as well. I definitely want to upgrade in the future. The thing holding me back at the moment is I'm not sure if 10 is fully optimized and ready to go. I'm sure they'll fix the issues it has, I'd just rather swap to it once that's done instead of enduring it.

@ evilsofa, Oh, really? That's great. I read in a few places it was going to be a while before the update released but I'm happy it's coming so soon.

@ Chas, The privacy invasion is the number one thing holding me back. Once again, I have nothing to hide but I'm entitled to my privacy and shouldn't have to deal with being watched the entire time I'm on my computer. Is there any chance of them removing that garbage in the future?

Thanks again guys!

@ D4rkn3ss, what is it that makes you prefer 8 over 7/10? I know there are other who feel that way but when I tried it a while ago, it was a cluttered mess and everything was designed for touch screen. That would be fine except my desktop isn't touch screen so it didn't work out well. lol

7 is vista service pack 2, its an almost a decade old os, 10 is 8 with a fuck you pack from ms.

Some people don't believe that MS is spying. Case is point -

Originally Posted by Airbrushkid View Post
No matter what you guys think you can not stop them from spying in Windows 10.

Posted by
This is true, unless you adjust the privacy settings. Nobody has found anything suspicious being sent to MS after these settings have been turned off, that I know of. This kind of thing is pretty easy to detect and believe me, people have tested it.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041936280&postcount=8

Personally, I'd just go Win7.

I don't have time to deal with locking down an OS that's actively spying on me and keylogging me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. I truly appreciate it. I enjoy trying new things but it also makes me extremely nervous at the same time.

@ Delemon, thank you for your insight on 10. I appreciate the explanation on how to try them both, as well. I definitely want to upgrade in the future. The thing holding me back at the moment is I'm not sure if 10 is fully optimized and ready to go. I'm sure they'll fix the issues it has, I'd just rather swap to it once that's done instead of enduring it.

Thanks again guys!

Honestly, it really isn't an issue, optimization that is. They're changing the way they do things with their OS model. Its almost like a continuous improvement plan, not just bug fixes and patching security issues (though those will never go away). If you wait for it to be perfect, it never will be, but they're always working to make it better. Those of us in the insider program are basically continuously beta testing so that issues and optimizations are released to the general public after being tested by real world actual users.

As far as the "spyware", "data-tracking", etc... that will also never go away. If you want to use Cortana, they will collect. If you use their mail app, they will collect. Just as Google collects when you use their search engine, or Apple collects when you use their browser or iOS. Some of it can be turned off or deliberately broken, but the reality is that the way they deliver services, those services would not function if they couldn't access the data. Windows 7 has plenty of telemetry tracking as well. Unfortunately, the only way to avoid most of it is to use another product, but almost all products are moving in this direction at various speeds.

Back