windows - network - unidentified network - how to rename?

Thuleman

Supreme [H]ardness
My server has several NICs, some of them are on what I call the external network (publicly routed, internet access) and some are on the private network.

The NICs that are on the external network show "Network" in the status under Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections. The private network shows "Unidentified Network".

Is there any way I can change that so that the NICs connected to the private network actually show something other than "Unidentified Network"? What I would like them to show is anything but so that I know they are connected to the private network as the "Unidentified Network" status also shows up when the NICs are plugged in but simply not connected to any network due to server side or network side misconfiguration.

Windows Server 2008.
Is this something that the networking infrastructure should provide? Meaning that the switch should send some sort of into to the NICs that they are on an private VLAN?

Judging by how he got to it, it's vista or 7.

And if I understand your question correctly - In the network and sharing center, you should be able to click the icon next to the text, which should bring you into the "set network properties" menu.

Edit: Not sure about ws2008, sorry.

And if I understand your question correctly - In the network and sharing center, you should be able to click the icon next to the text, which should bring you into the "set network properties" menu.
Brilliant!
That's exactly right. Thank you! Now all I'd want is for the machine to figure out on its own that it is actually connected to an identified network (private VLAN) rather than an unidentified one.

Back