Windows media player 11 - uses 80% cpu usage???

AY786

Limp Gawd
I have amd athlon 64 x2 4800 and 2gb ram so decent spec there, but yet windows media player 11, is really slow to use and takes nearly 80% usage of my processor. At some points i just have to close it down its that bad.

Any one have any solutions?

What are you playing with WMP11. Audio, video, extremely high quality video?

Im watching a 720p video and burning a disc, not using more than 4%. Maybe you have some extra services installed or perhaps a piece of spyware thats pulling data from WMP.

Do you have any plugins or enhancements? Check in the plugins menu to make sure you dont have something that is using lots of CPU.

WMP does not take much CPU to run most of the time.

looks like pr0nware to me :D

try using Windows Media Player Classic or Winamo, and see what happens. check your codecs too

Control panel -> sounds -> Playback Tab ->

double click your output (SPDIF/Speakers/Headphones/etc)

-> System Effects tab -> Disable System Effects

Control panel -> sounds -> Playback Tab ->

double click your output (SPDIF/Speakers/Headphones/etc)

-> System Effects tab -> Disable System Effects

You know that makes no sense right ?

EDIT:

If using Win Xp that is.

I only play music via windows media player, my brothers computer shows like 2% cpu usage and hes got windows media 11 and a lower spec computer then me. Dont know whats going on?

I had similar problem with MP, where any video film i would play would stutter and slow down and even go out of sync, i tried to reinstall but no go, i tried a few other things but since it was on a 8 month install of xp and things in general were starting to cause problems i decided to format to fix my problem.

Anyway, have you tried to uninstall and reinstall mp11 ?

i didnt think i would have to take it that far so no, but i mite give it a go

Back