Windows May Update (18362.30, aka. "final") is now available

Domingo

Fully [H]
Anyone on any insider ring has access to the final build of this right now. You can always join and then opt out after it installs, too. I just did an image back-up, so I figured I'd give it a whirl.

Install only took about 15 minutes and I had no complications at all.
Things actually feel snappier after the update. Random UI things like opening Explorer or an app like Word or Photoshop.
You can now uninstall about 1/2 the bundled "modern" apps without having to jump through hoops or risk breaking anything.
Visually, there are different system-wide color modes for light and dark.
There's also a new "sandbox" mode that lets you test things out like a mini virtual machine. I haven't messed with that yet.

So far so good on my end of things.

I'm now on day #3 with no real issues. The only quirk I can find is that the system seems to handle thumbnail images differently. Many of my thumbnails seem to be slightly "off."
Not sure how to describe it other than the thumbnails are a slightly different size than they used to be. My folders full of pictures and videos aren't aligned like they used to be. I've tried resizing everything under the sun and nothing seems change that. When scrolling through my thousands of MP3's, the thumbnails aren't loading as quickly as they used to as well. Once cached it used to be instantaneous. Now there's a millisecond delay. Not long enough to think they aren't cached, but something display-related.

On the plus side, things ARE snappier. That isn't just a placebo. Benchmarks are a hair higher. I think some of that has to do with different Spectre/Meltdown mitigation.

FWIW, the Sandbox mode wasn't available for me by default. I had to actually go into the installed windows program menu and enable it, so don't freak out if you don't see it.

I'm interested in the sandbox mode. But I don't want the hypervisor services running when I'm not using it. Do you know if that all shuts down if you are not using it?

I've been running it for 2 weeks sans any real issues. The thumbnail quirk is the only thing I've seen, and my normal performance is up around 5%-10% in benchmarks. Plus, it just feels snappier for what it's worth.
Hopefully this update doesn't get delayed or isn't bug-ridden like the last one. It actually seems worthwhile to get as long as it's clean.

Back