Windows log in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DogsofJune

Supreme [H]ardness
So the Threadripper box has been running without too much issue, it has created another dilemma for me today. It has a Asus Strix 5700XT installed and it's a bit quirky.
Today I have some time so I was going to replace it with a 1080ti from my 2600 box. (Being that it's down currently)

I had left the TR box on since the weekend and was out of town for work Mon and Tues. So I go to remove the AMD software for the 5700XT today and reboot. It comes to the log in screen and wants a password.....
This was set up to log in with a pin.

I go through every password I have used in the last 15 years. Nope.
What in the Sam fuck? I have to crack my own Win 10 install.
Never had this issue before. Doesn't even give me the option to recover or change password.......

Half tempted to put Manjaro back on it.

This just isn't the typical crap I'm used to solving. (sigh) I bought booze and shall cuss profusely.

Windows needs to get rid of PINs, and face recognition, and whatever the F they call the stupid picture logins. Users have to create a password before they are able to use any of these and they always forget the password (which the computer will force you to use whenever it thinks your login is suspicious). We have this issue regularly when old people bring their computers in for repair.

If it is an MS account login tied to an email you can reset it through Microsoft's website. If not boot to command line repair (from a disk or usb drive because the built in will require the same forgotten password to make any changes.) overwrite utilman.exe with a copy of cmd.exe, reboot pc and use the advanced boot option to disable early boot malware protection "or something stupid like that". Once the PC boots using the accessibility icon at the login screen will launch a CMD window. From there you can reset the PW via the net user commands

You can also mount the registry from a boot disk and make some edits but i can never remember the paths or commands off the top of my head so I use the above method.

Windows needs to get rid of PINs, and face recognition, and whatever the F they call the stupid picture logins. Users have to create a password before they are able to use any of these and they always forget the password (which the computer will force you to use whenever it thinks your login is suspicious). We have this issue regularly when old people bring their computers in for repair.

If it is an MS account login tied to an email you can reset it through Microsoft's website. If not boot to command line repair (from a disk or usb drive because the built in will require the same forgotten password to make any changes.) overwrite utilman.exe with a copy of cmd.exe, reboot pc and use the advanced boot option to disable early boot malware protection "or something stupid like that". Once the PC boots using the accessibility icon at the login screen will launch a CMD window. From there you can reset the PW via the net user commands

You can also mount the registry from a boot disk and make some edits but i can never remember the paths or commands off the top of my head so I use the above method.

So, let me get this straight.

User has the option of a pin, or a password. User enters one. User forgets it. Microsoft's fault?

Jesus Christ, you guys will try and blame that company for anything lol

User has the option of a pin, or a password. User enters one. User forgets it. Microsoft's fault?

I'm not blaming MS, user stupidity is definitely at fault. However the fact that MS forces you to make a PW before using any alternate sign on method, then lets you use a pin for 2 years, and then randomly removes the PIN option and forces you to use that password, that you now swear you never even setup it was so long ago, probably isn't a super great design feature.

This "feature" doesn't upset me personally at all. I have no problem charging old people an extra $50 to reset the password.

I'm not blaming MS, user stupidity is definitely at fault. However the fact that MS forces you to make a PW before using any alternate sign on method, then lets you use a pin for 2 years, and then randomly removes the PIN option and forces you to use that password, that you swear you never even setup, probably isn't a super great design feature.

I would need to see proof that this is the case. I have installed multiple Windows 10 copies and not once has it asked me about a PIN. I have my main PC with a Microsoft account connected, multiple DCing machines with no password at all and 2 other machines in my home with only a password, no PIN.

So the onus is on you to prove that Microsoft randomly removes pin access.

That's why I'm saying MS should just remove the PIN option..... of course you have never seen the option removed when you don't even have it setup..... I'm not sure what point you are trying to prove.

No where did I say I forgot it.

That's why I'm saying MS should just remove the PIN option..... of course you have never seen the option removed when you don't even have it setup..... I'm not sure what point you are trying to prove.

I miss-read a point above where you put "PW". I read it as "PIN".

I guess my adjustment would be, since when am I required to have a password on my windows 10 install?

BUT, you DID forget. You can't login, sooo.... process of elimination.
I didn't forget, Win 10 no longer accepts it. Several months of daily use and suddenly I forget? Seriously? And it's written down? OMG, must be user issue. Go fuck yourself.

I remember when this place used to be helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back