Windows laptops without PWM flicker? (mods, don't move!)

TotallyCool

Weaksauce
NOTE TO MODS: PLEASE DON'T MOVE THIS THREAD TO THE MOBILE COMPUTING FORUM! THIS CONCERNS ONLY THE DISPLAYS OF LAPTOPS AND WON'T GET ANY ATTENTION THERE.

PWM gets lots of mention here, from people looking for a monitor without PWM. A hard find, but we're aware of the PWM-free models and can help others find a solution.

PWM gets no mention in the mobile computing forum and posts that attempt to discuss it are ignored. That's why I thought it might be a good idea to have a discussion about that here, a discussion about the DISPLAYS of laptops, not laptops themselves, so to say.

From my experience, PWM in laptops is the same as with monitors, it's basically the standard. But there must be some without it, no? I know MacBook Pros don't use PWM, that's why I'm asking for Windows laptops.

P.S. Laptops often have multiple display options, so try to be specific when discussing your experiences. Thank you.

The Thinkpad T520i with the base 1366 x 768 screen seems to be PWM free based on the finger/pencil wave test and the camera test outlined on tftcentral. I think this model is one generation older than the current T5X models.

NOTE TO MODS: PLEASE DON'T MOVE THIS THREAD TO THE MOBILE COMPUTING FORUM! THIS CONCERNS ONLY THE DISPLAYS OF LAPTOPS AND WON'T GET ANY ATTENTION THERE.

Thanks TotallyCool !!

I too am interested in LapTops without PWM.

As rare as non-PWM displays are on the desktop side-especially the pro side of desktop monitors-you may be better off using an external display. I wish I had a solution for you. Sorry.

Count me in. I am looking for a PWM-free normal-res laptop for Windows 7.
Something 14 inches max, 1600x900 HD+ but with great colors (IPS maybe?) and non-PWM LED backlight.

I have looked at Dell XPS 13 and it is really nice but very hi-res, unsuitable for Windows 7. I have looked at MacBook Pro 13 Retina and it is WLED with quite high blue LED component that's not as nice on my eyes as XPS13.
I guess what I am looking for is Sharp IGZO panel but HD+ resolution in a 14-in non-PWM laptop.
Do things like these even exist?
What else could be a healthy replacement?

Back