Windows just works and Other OS improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I get that. I could easily change it but I'm not the one who is going to use the laptop. If it's a user who is downtown at the client site alot they probably want it to sleep often to save battery life.

The thing is I shouldn't have to change it. The OS shouldn't be doing that in the first place. It's not idle. It's downloading it's own updates that *I* told it to do. And if I'm right and that the system going to sleep while downloading is causing the SoftwareDistribution folder to corrupt then that's on MS and they need to fix their OS that supposedly "just works".

Change to never to accomplish your task and then ... change it back to the previous settings. Besides the "Power & Setting" menu has two sections one for "when plugged in" and the other for "when not plugged in". I doubt that having a laptop sleep when plugged in has no adverse impact on battery life since the charging function is ongoing if it is plugged in. Charging does not take place when the laptop is not plugged in and then "sleep" save on battery power.

If you're right that sleeping is causing the issue then your business leaders need to determine a policy for avoiding this issue. It's like with any OS, the user has to adjust their thinking to that of the OS. Doing otherwise is non-productive until the OS changes the way it functions. Since you have identified this issue your employer/business should make it known to Microsoft so that you know they are aware of it and can adjust the OS to act differently if it is in fact the root cause.

I can see a scenario where a machine has been infected and when it is plugged in it is preforming it assigned "nasty task" without let up and wouldn't go to sleep or shutdown at the trigger point because that "nasty" was doing it's thing. Not a secure situation.

Just my 2¢.

Well for all you windows heads, this is what just works means;

Around 20 min ago my OS pushed my system 303 updates....

I clicked update... it informed me it would have to update out of order to avoid conflicts. (out of order means it is going to update some dependencies first it found 10 needing updating) I click yes punch in my admin.

Downloading 931.1 MB (leave it in the back ground while I read and post on [H] forums) 7 min later download done (my connection isn't blazing fast I admit)

2 min or so for 313 updates to complete... again while still using my machine. (really ignoring the update gui at this point)

Next another 30s or so for the PM to run a bit of cleanup and some config scripts.

Done that's it... one click punch in my admin password... and ignore. All said right around 10 min to download and install almost 1GB of updates. Updates for everything from my desktop environment to my terminal text editor. A list of just a few... Apache, Calibre, FFmpeg, Gnome DE and all its utils, firefox, Pulseaudio system, Cups printing system, Libre office, some Libre utils like hunspell, Muscore, a ton of command line tools like nano and pacman the PM (yes the package manager updated itself at the same time), thunderbird, transmission, VLC, Wine.

People tell me all the time windows just works.... sure it just works until you need to update anything to do with the OS... in which case it doesn't work until its done, as long as the updater doesn't run into issues. After the big ransomware story today it should be clear that a lot of people... including large corps aren't doing their windows updates. Mostly because MS hasn't made it the smooth noninvasive process it should be to ensure people and companies are patching when they should. Hearing about MS delaying update roll outs ect don't just make me laugh, they make me sad that people can defend such a Piece of Shit OS that is the main reason such stuff is able to happen.

MS wouldn't have to try and push stupid things like automatic updates... if people where excited to see 1gb of updates pop up for their system, instead of dreading the hour long process of reboots and blue screens it represented.

Last edited:
Sometimes Windows does work but when it doesn't it makes you wanna cry.

Windows never makes me want to cry. However, my computer will if I end up breaking something software or hardware related at 10pm on a work night. :D I just cannot sleep till I fix the problem a lot of times.

Windows never makes me want to cry. However, my computer will if I end up breaking something software or hardware related at 10pm on a work night. :D I just cannot sleep till I fix the problem a lot of times.

Something is wrong with 10. It's not Cortana, or the telemetry, or the store or the North Korean policy, it's something else. I just tried to run an install of DinoCapture on 10 in our environment and it was like, nope. It didn't run, it didn't give me an error message. I double clicked, saw the little circle for trying to get there and nothing. Literally nothing happened. I was logged in with my network admin account so I went ahead and tried with the actual machine account. Nada. Nothing. I suspect as more enterprises adopt 10, we'll see more issues begin to crop up. It mostly works, but it's nowhere near as polished as 7 for desktop use.

What a peculiar thread, reading it's like stepping into the Scientology building! It's so blindingly obvious as to its intention.

Personally, depending on usage scenario I find all top three operating system's to just work. Being exposed to a large pool of machines not protected by tech savvy individuals or corporate IT I find some OS's to 'just work' better than others...

Something is wrong with 10. It's not Cortana, or the telemetry, or the store or the North Korean policy, it's something else. I just tried to run an install of DinoCapture on 10 in our environment and it was like, nope. It didn't run, it didn't give me an error message. I double clicked, saw the little circle for trying to get there and nothing. Literally nothing happened. I was logged in with my network admin account so I went ahead and tried with the actual machine account. Nada. Nothing. I suspect as more enterprises adopt 10, we'll see more issues begin to crop up. It mostly works, but it's nowhere near as polished as 7 for desktop use.

Open a CMD prompt as admin and try running from the CMD prompt, sometimes that 'just works'.... ;)

I had no idea what DinoCapture until I just looked it up. So I have a chepo USB microscope from Pluggable and was just curious to see if DinoCapture would work with it. But as you know the software is tied to AnMo products. But DinoCapture installed fine on my sig rig.

Open a CMD prompt as admin and try running from the CMD prompt, sometimes that 'just works'.... ;)

Good point. I'll have to try that when I get the laptop back in my hands. It wasn't urgent.

I had no idea what DinoCapture until I just looked it up. So I have a chepo USB microscope from Pluggable and was just curious to see if DinoCapture would work with it. But as you know the software is tied to AnMo products. But DinoCapture installed fine on my sig rig.

Yea, it's kind of specific software, and I cannot attest to all of the group policies running around with a mixed 10 and 7 environment. BUT, I've never seen that behavior out of 7. Like ever. Ever. Did I say ever? :D

P.S.S. It has installed on 10 before so it was a change made in policy or the image on the laptop.

Last edited:
I just installed Dino Capture 2.0 on my own Windows 10 machine, installed fine, although this machine isn't running the CU as I never turn it on long enough to update.

Looks average on a high DPI 4k monitor though...

I'm running the CU on my sig rig. I even tried it on the latest Insider Build on my Surface Pro 3 and it installed fine there as well.

For Windows 2.0 version from March 31st 2017? Antivirus disabled? Is UAC enabled or disabled?

Well, at least ManofGod and heatless either have had bitcoin or are lucky enough to still type unencrypted :D

Well, at least ManofGod and heatless either have had bitcoin or are lucky enough to still type unencrypted :D

No they are 2 of the handful of MS users that actually install updates the second the can. Ironically perhaps the end users that get hit by this worm will be the folks that already don't trust MS and shut their updates of 3 months back. lol

Exactly the type of people that end up heading to Macos or Linux. For MS own good they should really fix their updating issues... of course it means dumping NTFS and a bunch of other changes I'm not sure they have the talent to handle anymore.

Sometimes Windows does work but when it doesn't it makes you wanna cry.

Grown men do cry, trust me on that, but I'd rather cry over a Windows issue than tear my fucking fingernails out or my hair or throw a computer off a balcony which is what Linux distros have provoked in some customers I've worked with over the years.

So yeah, all modern computer operating systems do tend to work most of the time, especially if you just use them without installing a shitload of third-party software and drivers for various purposes and hardware.

If Microsoft decided to stop producing Windows tomorrow, totally end all development of any and all future code for Windows operating systems across the board, and they cashed out totally and bought new computers for every person that wanted one free of charge and installed whatever Linux distro they might want on them Windows would still rule the world for at least 15 more years. :)

Grown men do cry, trust me on that, but I'd rather cry over a Windows issue than tear my fucking fingernails out or my hair or throw a computer off a balcony which is what Linux distros have provoked in some customers I've worked with over the years.

I've been every bit as frustrated with Windows issues as I have with Linux issues. The point that needs to be reinforced here is it's a lack of familiarisation with Linux that causes the bulk of the frustration for most, there was a time where you were overwhelmingly unfamiliar with Windows also. Linux is not hard, but its not Windows.

If certain individuals want to try and claim that no OS is issue free and most OS's run fine the bulk of the time, than that ideology has to relate to Linux also. Therefore you can't sit there and claim that Linux is in any way worse than Windows in this regard.

Not interested in arguing, good for you.

Then please, if you are not interested in arguing, you can always leave my thread. If you do not, then do not expect everyone to just agree with you and ignore you when you claim you do not want to argue or listen.

On a more relevant not, Tiberian, I do think for a basic install, Ubuntu Linux has come a long way and the Steam games that are native run better than they used too. (I have a PC with two 1600x900 monitors, quad core intel and a 1GB HD 6770 Card and it works ok.) That said, I do prefer Windows as my Host OS a lot better but, I am glad I have the freedom to use them all if I want.

Then please, if you are not interested in arguing, you can always leave my thread. If you do not, then do not expect everyone to just agree with you and ignore you when you claim you do not want to argue or listen.

On a more relevant not, Tiberian, I do think for a basic install, Ubuntu Linux has come a long way and the Steam games that are native run better than they used too. (I have a PC with two 1600x900 monitors, quad core intel and a 1GB HD 6770 Card and it works ok.) That said, I do prefer Windows as my Host OS a lot better but, I am glad I have the freedom to use them all if I want.

Excuse me?

I am ignoring certain comments because this whole thread is obviously bait and I'm not stupid enough to fall for your insatable desire to label me a troll. Rest assured, I could bring up many, many points that would hack Tiberian's point of view to pieces, but I wouldn't want to rain on your parade.

It's interesting, I argue a point of view, you call me a troll. However when I participate but refuse to be drawn into an argument you still label me a troll?

Do you even know what a troll is? Is the meer fact that I don't worship Windows instant evidence of Trolling?

It just sucks that Linux can't play all the games. I would switch over in a heartbeat. Like Heatless said, I don't use much of anything windows offers, so it would not affect me.
If Linux could play every game, it would be very bad for Windows sales. They have a while before Linux can do that.(maybe forever)

... this whole thread is obviously bait and I'm not stupid enough to fall for your insatable desire to label me a troll.

And yet you just cannot seem to stop posting in these kinds of threads, and by "these kinds of threads" I am of course specifically referring to Windows-related ones. If you recognized that "this whole tread is obviously bait" then why did you bite?

Honestly, I think anyone calling you a troll more often than not is an insult to actual trolls, but that's just my personal opinion on the matter. :D

Anyway, you kids have fun with yet another Windows-related thread doomed to extinction...

It just sucks that Linux can't play all the games. I would switch over in a heartbeat. Like Heatless said, I don't use much of anything windows offers, so it would not affect me.
If Linux could play every game, it would be very bad for Windows sales. They have a while before Linux can do that.(maybe forever)

I don't believe its nearly as far away as some people believe.

Linux has been building game support for a few years now. More importantly its been building the TOOLS for Linux support. Some people like heatle will point out that even with the valve push Linux gaming is still 1/3 the number of titles and a number are we all admit ports that are slower then the native windows version.

What they fail to notice is the real work Valve has been putting in is with developers. The Major engine companies ALL support Linux now. Something they did not do when games released 2 years ago or last year and in many cases this year started development. Their are still plenty of games being released that started development on say Unreal 3 or older versions of unity ect. Going forward the next few years is going to see a lot of games released built on Unreal 4 / Unity / Cry / Source / Uniengine are going to start hitting... and valve has spent a lot of time and money ensuring all those engines are 100% compatible with steamos.

The day MS decides to push their luck with game developers and windows store royalties, the industry has now built in an escape option. I would expect to see many of those games hit true cross platform... if need be though the developers have been setting themselves up to replace windows if required.

For Windows 2.0 version from March 31st 2017? Antivirus disabled? Is UAC enabled or disabled?

Not sure about the 2.0. I didn't check that one. But they do have anti-virus running, can't disable because of policy, and I'm not sure about UAC. But, I'll try to check it again later next week. It's a loaner laptop. It was just weird how it just didn't run and also didn't show any dialog at all. Just nothing. No feedback.

And yet you just cannot seem to stop posting in these kinds of threads, and by "these kinds of threads" I am of course specifically referring to Windows-related ones. If you recognized that "this whole tread is obviously bait" then why did you bite?

Honestly, I think anyone calling you a troll more often than not is an insult to actual trolls, but that's just my personal opinion on the matter. :D

Anyway, you kids have fun with yet another Windows-related thread doomed to extinction...

You accuse me of trolling with a comment like that based around this:

I've been every bit as frustrated with Windows issues as I have with Linux issues. The point that needs to be reinforced here is it's a lack of familiarisation with Linux that causes the bulk of the frustration for most, there was a time where you were overwhelmingly unfamiliar with Windows also. Linux is not hard, but its not Windows.

If certain individuals want to try and claim that no OS is issue free and most OS's run fine the bulk of the time, than that ideology has to relate to Linux also. Therefore you can't sit there and claim that Linux is in any way worse than Windows in this regard.

Whatever I suppose, you're entitled to your opinion. :rolleyes:

Whatever I suppose, you're entitled to your opinion. :rolleyes:

Your trolling because obviously you must have more issues with Linux then you would with windows. Such a statement is clearly a lie... and a troll. /s lol

Didn't you read the OP.... all operating systems just work... accept one it works better then the rest. :rolleyes:

Your trolling because obviously you must have more issues with Linux then you would with windows. Such a statement is clearly a lie... and a troll. /s lol

Didn't you read the OP.... all operating systems just work... accept one it works better then the rest. :rolleyes:

Like I've said before, that does appear to be the case!

Don't worship MS (specifically Windows 10) = Must be troll.

Last edited:
Not sure about the 2.0. I didn't check that one. But they do have anti-virus running, can't disable because of policy, and I'm not sure about UAC. But, I'll try to check it again later next week. It's a loaner laptop. It was just weird how it just didn't run and also didn't show any dialog at all. Just nothing. No feedback.

I bet the AV is blocking installation. That's why I only use Windows Defender these days, everything else causes more issues than it resolves. ;)

Is this thread part of the new "Microsoft <3 Linux" campaign? :)

I'll believe the "Microsoft <3 Linux" PR bullshit the day they announce Office for Linux.

Until then it's the same old ruthless Microsoft.

The thing that stinks is Windows 10 Mobile just works. However, since MS is not really doing anything with it now, some stuff, like Garmin Bluetooth support, is getting worse and worse. I chatted with Garmin support and they explained that MS has been breaking Bluetooth support so fewer Garmin devices are compatible anymore.

Therefore, it is not worth Garmins effort to bother and MS will not fix it. I am typing this post on my Lumia 950 but it is not my primary phone anymore.

I agree since my Android tablet does everything it need it to do. It does it well. I am sure it's the same with any of them. :)

I use my Android tablet more than I use my laptop! It's a great device.

The thing that stinks is Windows 10 Mobile just works. However, since MS is not really doing anything with it now, some stuff, like Garmin Bluetooth support, is getting worse and worse. I chatted with Garmin support and they explained that MS has been breaking Bluetooth support so fewer Garmin devices are compatible anymore.

Therefore, it is not worth Garmins effort to bother and MS will not fix it. I am typing this post on my Lumia 950 but it is not my primary phone anymore.

It does seem silly updating drivers for devices that aren't sold anymore.

As for MS breaking compatibility with established standards ? My that doesn't sound at all like the Microsoft I know. /s

Also you can't claim something just works... and then detail how it just doesn't. Its not exactly logical.

It does seem silly updating drivers for devices that aren't sold anymore.

As for MS breaking compatibility with established standards ? My that doesn't sound at all like the Microsoft I know. /s

Also you can't claim something just works... and then detail how it just doesn't. Its not exactly logical.

They did not break compatibility with established standards, from what I can understand. Also, amazing because it does just work, just as I showed you. Wow, there is a single issue that will not be updated, that must mean the thing does not just work. Oh, like Linux perhaps? :rolleyes: Or Android for that matter, since people have issues with those devices as well?

You have to realize manofgod clear admitted that his definition of working does cover deleting the software you are using without warning or informing you.
So there is a clear difference in what some people define as working vs what manofgod defines as working.
I don't think i know a lot of people going by his definition of the concept.

They did not break compatibility with established standards, from what I can understand. Also, amazing because it does just work, just as I showed you. Wow, there is a single issue that will not be updated, that must mean the thing does not just work. Oh, like Linux perhaps? :rolleyes: Or Android for that matter, since people have issues with those devices as well?

I'm fairly certain they're not having issues as a result of an OS that's no longer supported and I'm not too sure what you consider to be established standards?!

This is sort of like claiming that Windows XP 'just works' but you can't run the latest version of Chrome - In every practical sense that I'm aware of and that rational people follow, obviously Windows XP doesn't 'just work'.

You appear to be twisting the argument to suit your own crazy point of view.

Logically, if a problem means that it does not just work, then nothing just works, including Windows 7, Linux and Android. Basic logic 101.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back