"Windows is starting up" is REALLY slow

PaintballaXX

Limp Gawd
Just so you guys know i already searched google and the hardforum for this isssue. When you turn on my friends comp the "windows is starting up" screen (the screen that comes after the windows loading thing with the blue bars) stays there forever before you can choose what account to log onto. I mean really long. I cant figure it out. I know the people here at the hardforum have a solution for everything so iam not worried. Thanks in advance.

First step is try the stuff in my signature, get a virus scan and spyware scan going. Make sure to update the def's before running the scans.

Based on your description, its windows 2000 right?

Sorry i forgot to say its windows xp pro. My bad. And we did a virus scan with norton. I will make sure its updated and do another one.

yea i did. It didnt really do any good. I might tell him to take the easy way out and just reinstall windows.

WELL That is an option, and normally one I always suggest in most situations just because there's nothing better in the 'morn than a freshly imaged copy of XP/sp2. BUT in this case we can probably find a quicker "Solution". I have to remind myself that's a novel idea sometimes.

You didn't mention this but have you tried the following?
"Log on using last known good configuration"
"Safe mode"

Try either of those, I'm guessing safe mode will work for sure. Do this:

Create a new ID with administrator rights. And "Change the way users log in" sounds to me like there could be a corrupted profile that auto-logs into the PC so it'll never let you in. But if you maybe give it an option of user ID's you can get into it in "Normal mode" on another ID. Then you can copy over My Documents/IE Favorites and the basic stuff and not have to reinstall. Try those things, or question for more info.

maybe your account is too big, the disk is fragmented, or some bad sectors (run checkdisk) or its just aksing for a format...

well his hardrive isnt fragmented but i will tell him to run checkdisk. Thanks for the help.

If there is a NIC installed and not attatched to a network, and the TCP/IP settings specify "Obtain IP address automatically", Windows will wait for a response from a DHCP server at startup. This can sometimes take a while. This was a problem with earlier versions of windows, though I am not sure if this bug was resolved in XP.

PaintballaXX said:
well his hardrive isnt fragmented but i will tell him to run checkdisk. Thanks for the help.

if possible check the profile size... maybe thats too big, what you could do is, create a new one and disable / delete the current one.. and then check again.. Profiles can get huge, but i have only had experience on networks with that ...

Back