Windows is not recognized and not loaded

I upgraded two old Dell optiplex 990 and basically threw everything out except the mainboard. After I finished and was about to install Windows but every time I tried it aborted saying "windows failed to start a recent hardware or software change might be the cause". I didn't think much of it and just installed windows onto the SSDs using my main PC. But now the PC spits out a "no bootable devices found" for around one frame and then it shows the windows loading screen also for just one frame. After that the "initialisation underscore" keeps blinking indefinitely.

You're supposed to install Windows using the hardware it's going to. If it won't install, it most likely is incompatible with your hardware or the new hardware you swapped is incompatible with your old mobo.

what are you trying to install from, usb? did you make it using the newest media creation tool? if not that, what? do you have it in uefi or legacy mode?
edit: 990 is gen2 intel? if it does have tpm, you can do a command line install to get around it.

You're supposed to install Windows using the hardware it's going to. If it won't install, it most likely is incompatible with your hardware or the new hardware you swapped is incompatible with your old mobo.
that will work, i do it all the time, but you have to pay attention to uefi vs legacy and the sata modes. 10 adjusts very easily. something else is going wrong.

what are you trying to install from, usb? did you make it using the newest media creation tool? if not that, what? do you have it in uefi or legacy mode?
edit: 990 is gen2 intel? if it does have tpm, you can do a command line install to get around it.

that will work, i do it all the time, but you have to pay attention to uefi vs legacy and the sata modes. 10 adjusts very easily. something else is going wrong.
Well the first error message indicated that he tried to boot with a HDD/SSD on and chose the wrong boot device while installing. Second message indicates that he installed his bootloader inadvertedly to a wrong drive in his main rig since the bootloader obviously wasn't found on his SSD. All hail the sucky Windows installer.

Well the first error message indicated that he tried to boot with a HDD/SSD on and chose the wrong boot device while installing. Second message indicates that he installed his bootloader inadvertedly to a wrong drive in his main rig since the bootloader obviously wasn't found on his SSD. All hail the sucky Windows installer.
so not "incompatible". thanks for acknowledging that. :rolleyes:

I selected the right boot device though and the installer also started successfully - but only for one frame again. I just didn't mention it because I thought it was unnecessary.

I wouldn't rule that out at this point either.
ive installed win10 on 990s at work, its not incompatible. unsupported, yes, but they run just fine. something is screwy with they way hes setting up or the install media is flaky.

I selected the right boot device though and the installer also started successfully - but only for one frame again. I just didn't mention it because I thought it was unnecessary.

I have USB - stick with the windows installer, setup by the media creation tool. And the PC is running on legacy but I could try UEFI and I don't know whether it has tpm.

Update:

I now get this message when I start in uefi
IMG_20210803_164831.jpg

that is not a setup error but an error from an existing install. only one drive installed and have you wiped it?

They should be empty. But even if everything is disconnected beside the stick i still run into the same problem.
I also let it run for a while until this screen showed up
Using a different graphics card also doesn't help and I get the same screen.
IMG_20210803_190301.jpg

recreate your usb on a different stick and make sure you d/l the newest creation tool directly from ms.

I made another drive - still the same problem. Could it be a faulty bios or is the mainboard just toast?

Probably a setting in the BIOS from Dell, some boot manager crap like secure boot or TPM setting.

so you: plug in the usb turn it on and jam on f12 to get the boot menu, boot off usb, then you get that red screen? try a different monitor yet?

Probably a setting in the BIOS from Dell, some boot manager crap like secure boot or TPM setting.
its not secure boot or tpm, its too old and this isnt win11 anyways. i dont think there is a media tool for it yet...

The main problem appears to be that the OP can't boot from the USB to begin with, so no setup is launched. Since it's an older computer, make sure you use a USB2 stick and port while doing the setup.

Never mind - it just straight up works now. I woke up this morning and started the PC just because I could, touched nothing and it loaded. I have absolutely no clue what went wrong.

But now I still have the two boot - paths of the installation of windows onto the two SSDs on my main PC. I never had this problem when doing it exactly that way so I don't know how to get rid of them and didn't find it on the internet... 😬

Back