Windows is finally getting native RAR support + RIP Cortana

I am also using a Microsoft account. I don't treat this any different than my android phone. Ecosystems gonna ecosystem.
This.

While I completely understand, and support, the argument that this is unnecessary and doesn't get you, the consumer, anything, I don't get the rage over it as it is always coming from people who are happy with their Android or iPhone. They have their account on that, and often tie a bunch of shit into it, and have no issue but suddenly Microsoft does it and they start screaming. I find it very silly and a bit hypocritical.

I can understand switching from Windows to another OS for a number of reasons, but because you have to sign in with an e-mail address is not one of them.

Edit: I should add if the worry is Microsoft will know who you are... They already do. Microsoft has the most high-fidelity data on people of basically anyone, outside of maybe intelligence agencies. Why? Well the first big one is Office365. I'm going to guess most of you use it for work e-mail. Even Microsoft's competitors have been jumping on the Office365 bandwagon. Because that is all work related, all the data is very accurate. People will put in all kinds of BS for their Gmail, O365 being corporate tends to be extremely accurate data. They get even more for the companies that then use AzureAD for their authentication, which lots do. That they can then cross reference with another high-fidelity trove: LinkedIn. Ya they own that too. They are low-key about the ownership but they bought it in 2016. Again, the data on there is high fidelity being work related. Facebook has more data, but lots of it is garbage, LinkedIn tends to be accurate.

People think Google is big data... nah man, MS is bigger data.

However if you are refusing to upgrade and staying on 10, or moving to another platform, just because of some hazy notion of "Windows 11 bad" then that makes you an angry nerd since Windows 11 is just Windows 10 with a new coat of paint and a couple of nice features. All of the "OMG it doesn't work it sucks so hard!" posts I've seen have been either unsubstantiated BS, or people doing something extremely dumb (like trying to hack it to run on a 2600k). It's a good OS, we've been rolling it out widely at work for a couple years now, if 10 works for you 11 will work for you.

The only somewhat legit complaint I've seen is the requirement to use a Microsoft account.

Windows 11 still doesn't have ungrouping of taskbar icons and not showing full titles instead of just the said icon. Not without hacks Explorer Patcher that break with each Windows Update. I used Windows 11 for a FULL YEAR before I got tired of this bullshit and went back to Windows 10. Only now I decided to give Windows 11 another shot as I heard those features are coming back this year.

There is really only one new thing I strongly dislike about Windows 11, and that is that they keep making it harder to install it without using/creating a Microsoft account.

With Windows 10 you could just disconnect the network during install. Now that no longer works. If you don't have network connectivity the Windows 11 installer will not proceed.

You have to have network when you start the install to let it start, but before you get to the "enter your Microsoft credentials screen" you have to use the hotkeys to open the command line and drop the internet connection from there.

And this is on the Professional version. Not even sure you can do it at all anymore on Home.

There are plenty of other things I hate about Win11, but most of those Windows 10 already does and I already hate them there. The rest are minor UI tweaks that can mostly be undone through registry edits and changing settings.

One thing that I haven't found a fix for is the stupid save dialog which defaults to cloud shit now. I have found no way to force it to by default save to the local file system without adding extra clicks. It annoys the bejeebus out of me, but in the grand scheme of things an extra click isn't the end of the world.

I too am hanging on to Windows 10 as long as I can on principle, but not sure I'll last until EOL due to many of the newest CPU drivers not existing in Win10. At some point I will upgrade CPU's and that will probably force the switch.

One thing is for sure. The day they force me to have anything other than a local user account only system, is the day I delete my windows partition for good. I will never accept needibg to be logged into an internet server to use my local machine. That's like the bullshit the games industry tried to pull with always online single player games. Thankfully linux is an option, but I will set my goddamn computer on fire before I ever accept having to use an online account.

On Pro version you do not have to do any of that to get a local account. During setup instead of choosing for home/personal use (this tries to force windows account) select workgroup domain or whatever it was called. You can skip what workgroup you want to join during setup and there, you have a local account without unnecessarily complicated hacking.

Windows 11 still doesn't have ungrouping of taskbar icons and not showing full titles instead of just the said icon. Not without hacks Explorer Patcher that break with each Windows Update. I used Windows 11 for a FULL YEAR before I got tired of this bullshit and went back to Windows 10. Only now I decided to give Windows 11 another shot as I heard those features are coming back this year.
I mean I didn't realize that because I haven't wanted that in, well, since Windows 7 started grouping things. However, if you want it just use Start11. It's $5, lets you customize the task bar, start menu, etc. I use it for the start menu because I prefer their "modern style" which is kinda a hybrid of Windows 7 and Windows 10 styles (they also support Windows 7, 10, and 11 style start menus).

If it lets me install 1 less app (7zip) I'm all for it

Windows 11 is whatever - there's fundamental issues with it (can no longer perm disable built in antivirus, hindering performance, and other similar things) and it was a jank shit show on launch for a year about (maybe a year and a half), but it's gotten better

It's just alright though, that's the extent of my enthusiasm for it, better HDR features, only genuine thing I'm 💯👍 on

I use a MS account because it's tied to the apps in the store I use/redownload - also don't need to dig out keys when doing a reinstall - key/HW tied to my account - MS account is one of the things that doesn't bother me at all TBH

If you open say windows notepad and select save as, the folder you see on the main windows is C: not something called Documents or anything of the sorts ?

Would you have oneDrive setup with an online account, those types of folders tend to be those it will have proposed to be synced in the cloud (desktop, documents, etc...)
There is an option to always save on local machine, so you will never get the OneDrive option. You can also just uninstall OneDrive completely (possible on Pro, don't know about Home).
Weird... I've never had windows try and save to cloud anything on my new laptop. Just brings up the C drive like it always has.
Yes, it defaults to Documents the first time you try to save something, but will always open to the most recent folder afterward. Documents is a local drive folder.

On Pro version you do not have to do any of that to get a local account. During setup instead of choosing for home/personal use (this tries to force windows account) select workgroup domain or whatever it was called. You can skip what workgroup you want to join during setup and there, you have a local account without unnecessarily complicated hacking.

I do not recall that being an option when I did a Win11 Pro reinstall on a laptop a few weeks ago, but I could be mistaken. I will have to look for it next time.

Thanks.

RIP Cortana: Windows 11 is getting a new AI 'personal assistant'

Yeah, you need AI to figure out the nonsensical layout and distribution of settings between a gutted control panel and a settings app that seems like a refugee from a phone.

I am also using a Microsoft account. I don't treat this any different than my android phone. Ecosystems gonna ecosystem.
You don't use your google account to log in to your phone tho, MS wants you to not even be able to turn on your computer without logging in to an online account.

Last edited:
There is an option to always save on local machine, so you will never get the OneDrive option. You can also just uninstall OneDrive completely (possible on Pro, don't know about Home).

Yes, it defaults to Documents the first time you try to save something, but will always open to the most recent folder afterward. Documents is a local drive folder.
Ahh, I uninstalled OneDrive as soon as I started windows for the first time.

Windows Home edition here, I would assume. It's just a gaming laptop.

I've tried all the settings and googled the shit out of this, and still, every time I "save as" I get this bullshit:

image002.png

Instead of the below, going straight to browse like it used to:

image003.png

Now yes, this is minor, it's just one extra mouse click, but man, when you do it a hundred times a day it starts getting really frustrating.

And it's not just this. If it were, I'd gloss over it, but it's a death by a million paper cuts. Small annoyances that just keep building on each other until you want to stab someone. Time and time again throughout the operating system and Office they keep dumbing it down and making it a pain in the ass to use the proper way of doing things.

Butt hey we're already doing this in 10, so it's not exactly new...

I've tried all the settings and googled the shit out of this, and still, every time I "save as" I get this bullshit:
this is in part an office setting not a windows setting I think, according to GPT:
  1. Open any Office application (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
  2. Click on the File tab in the top left corner of the window.
  3. Click on Options at the bottom of the left-hand menu.
  4. In the Options window, click on Save in the left-hand menu.
  5. Under Save documents, select This PC from the drop-down menu next to Default local file location.
  6. Click on OK to save your changes.
Me in my version of office I can make it so the This PC is selected first with the list of the previous used local folder instead of the cloud option at least, even if I am not sure how to get straight to browse

this is in part an office setting not a windows setting I think, according to GPT:
  1. Open any Office application (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
  2. Click on the File tab in the top left corner of the window.
  3. Click on Options at the bottom of the left-hand menu.
  4. In the Options window, click on Save in the left-hand menu.
  5. Under Save documents, select This PC from the drop-down menu next to Default local file location.
  6. Click on OK to save your changes.
Me in my version of office I can make it so the This PC is selected first with the list of the previous used local folder instead of the cloud option at least, even if I am not sure how to get straight to browse

And that's the problem of relying on AI :p

That setting will change the default location of that limited box in pic 1, but it won't replace the limited view in pic 1 with a proper browse window by default.

I guess I am an angry nerd! 🤓

I have decided I will not be moving to Windows 11 when 10 is EOL. I have been testing Ubuntu out on my side rig and it works perfectly fine, especially since i do not play AAA titles.

Also, RAR support is long overdue. poor WinRAR LOL
Yep, I jumped to Linux after the Win 8 fiasco. It's been great. My problem is that I DO play AAA games. My solution is a Win 11 VM with GPU passthrough. It
allows me to play my games with no problems. And the crippled Taskbar in Win 11 can be fix by using ExplorerPatcher. And if you think the start menu sucks
(like I do) there's a version of Open Shell that works just fine.

Yep, I jumped to Linux after the Win 8 fiasco. It's been great. My problem is that I DO play AAA games. My solution is a Win 11 VM with GPU passthrough. It
allows me to play my games with no problems. And the crippled Taskbar in Win 11 can be fix by using ExplorerPatcher. And if you think the start menu sucks
(like I do) there's a version of Open Shell that works just fine.
I use Linux on everything except my main PC's that the kids want to play games on. Fortnite is their game of the day, and it does not work in a VM! Crazy world out there. I always wondered if there were other Epic games that had the issue as well, as it's an issue with their anti-cheat software

I use Linux on everything except my main PC's that the kids want to play games on. Fortnite is their game of the day, and it does not work in a VM! Crazy world out there. I always wondered if there were other Epic games that had the issue as well, as it's an issue with their anti-cheat software

Same.

I use Linux as my daily driver. Only reason I keep bate metal Windows around at all anymore is for games. Most games will run under Linux, but with some trial and error and significant performance impacts, so while it is better than it had ever been, it still isn't great.

So, for this reason I dual boot Windows and Linux on my main desktop. Most machines in the house don't even have Windows installed though.

I also have a Windows VirtualBox VM on my Linux desktop for the rare occurrence when I actually need to do something In windows, but it is pretty rare.

View attachment 572347

Instead of the below, going straight to browse like it used to:

View attachment 572348

Now yes, this is minor, it's just one extra mouse click, but man, when you do it a hundred times a day it starts getting really frustrating.

And it's not just this. If it were, I'd gloss over it, but it's a death by a million paper cuts. Small annoyances that just keep building on each other until you want to stab someone. Time and time again throughout the operating system and Office they keep dumbing it down and making it a pain in the ass to use the proper way of doing things.

Butt hey we're already doing this in 10, so it's not exactly new...

Have you tried turning on this setting?

1684954476633.png

I think that the only reason that things like RAR support were not included with Windows a LONG time ago is that the US Government used to actually care about monopolies, and Microsoft was their last target. So they held off on things like integrating features that made certain 3rd party programs mostly irrelevant.

There is really only one new thing I strongly dislike about Windows 11, and that is that they keep making it harder to install it without using/creating a Microsoft account.

With Windows 10 you could just disconnect the network during install. Now that no longer works. If you don't have network connectivity the Windows 11 installer will not proceed.

You have to have network when you start the install to let it start, but before you get to the "enter your Microsoft credentials screen" you have to use the hotkeys to open the command line and drop the internet connection from there.

And this is on the Professional version.

Works exactly the same with or without Internet connected, and not rocket science. Though they obviously still encourage the MS account, nothing is preventing the use of the local account at this point. I think that people see the word "Domain" and assume that it wouldn't apply to them, but making a local account this way doesn't force you into joining a Domain or anything like that.

Windows11account1.png

Windows11account2.png

Windows11account3.png

Windows11account4.png

But they still haven't fixed me needing to double click on the power icon in the Start Menu when I want to shut down :rolleyes:

But they still haven't fixed me needing to double click on the power icon in the Start Menu when I want to shut down :rolleyes:
With windows 10-11 one end up learning Windows-x-u-u or windows-x-u-s to sleep, faster than alt-f4.

Considering that I imagine 95% use sleep and not power, that they show the options instead of closing the PC. How often do people want to shut down with modern PC ?

'cause its not broken or a problem, it so idiots dont accidentally shutdown with a single click on the task bar.

RAR support isn’t in the default macOS install either. p7zip via homebrew is your friend there (when you’re on a federated laptop).

'cause its not broken or a problem, it so idiots dont accidentally shutdown with a single click on the task bar.
Whilst I may be an idiot, that's not what is happening. Open Start Menu (one click), try to open Power options, needs two clicks. Not normal...

99 out of 100 times.
Is there a reason (outside habit from the old win95 days of a reboot a day take the doctor away) ? Sleep is so good now that sometime it competes well with power off electricity bleeding of some system.

Considering that I imagine 95% use sleep and not power, that they show the options instead of closing the PC. How often do people want to shut down with modern PC ?
I use my personal pc for a couple of hours in the evening, so for the rest of the time it's shut down....

And at any rate that's not the issue, I still need to click twice to open the Power options even if I want to put it to sleep

And at any rate that's not the issue, I still need to click twice to open the Power options even if I want to put it to sleep
That a unique bug, I thought you were talking about the idea that the power button show a sub menu of sleep, restart, shut down, sign in option.

Eugene Rochell or something with Winrar cracks or expired versions for two decades

How often do people want to shut down with modern PC ?

I power mine down completely whenever they are not going to be in use for more than an hour or two, and don't have some sort of task that I need running during that time.

I find it annoying that Microsoft has conflated hibernation with a real shutdown, but at least I know how to override it.

Is there a reason (outside habit from the old win95 days of a reboot a day take the doctor away) ? Sleep is so good now that sometime it competes well with power off electricity bleeding of some system.
With w95 you needed to reboot every 2 hours to keep it from acting up, but even if windows no longer goes berserk if left running for weeks or even months without rebooting, I prefer it being off when I'm not using it. It's not about saving electricity either, but about not wanting someone wandering into the room or a pet jumping on the kb, or even a gust of wind moving the mouse waking it up accidentally. Also getting sleep to work with lots of external USB hardware can be problematic. Some don't support sleep therefore they remain permanently on, others wake up the computer randomly, while still others refuse to wake up when I bring the computer out of sleep, making it necessary to unplug then reconnect them to work again.

All this hassle and the anxiety about the computer waking up on its own makes it much more appealing to just turn it off before I turn in, or leave the house for longer periods. The only time I use sleep is when I'm only going away for a 1-2 hours, but I'm in the middle of lots of things and I want the twelve open windows to stay open.

And then we've not even mentioned blackouts, which could cause problems with a sleeping computer, but not with a powered down one.

I assume Microsoft will have to license it and the creator will FINALLY get a payday? God knows he's been lenient with all us cheap bastards.....
yes but i'm sure MS will buy only ONE license and then use it on all the copies of windows out there.

I find it annoying that Microsoft has conflated hibernation with a real shutdown, but at least I know how to override it.
First thing I do after every new install is powercfg -h off, and disabling sleep timers, except for turning off the screen. On laptops I also change the power button to actually act as a power button instead of a sleep button, while also disabling any action tied to closing the lid. If I want it to sleep I'll put it to sleep before closing it, thank you very much. I find sleep even more useless on a laptop than a desktop PC anyway.

Back