Windows Install : Stupid Question.

BrainDanceR

Weaksauce
Hi peeps.

Probably a really stupid question, just want to be sure I wont mess things up.

I am about to install windows on a hard drive(120GB), which is currently partitioned into two 60GB chunks.

The first partition (currently D:\) I am planning to format and install windows onto.
The second partition (currently E:\) has my current windows xp installation in and my data(i dont want to keep xp here). I will format this after I have installed windows and this will be my data partition.
(note this drive is *not* bootable, im getting rid of my old C: drive).

Can anyone corfirm the following for me:

1) If I format the current D: drive when I go thru the windows install, will it make this my C:\ and make this partition bootable - do I need to worry about anything here?
2) Will the data on my other partition be ok if I repartition/format the first partition?
3) the file structure of this drive is NTFS - is this a problem?

Thanks for any help...

1) No, it won't make the drive C:...as far as I can tell form what you are doing, it will grab the next available letter. It really depends on when you blank the "D" drive.
2) It should be, if you partitioned the drives right. If you made both 60 GB partitions primary, the data on "E" will be fine. Use drive labels and make sure you blank the right drive.
3) Yes, NTFS is fine, and is what you should be using on an all Windows system.

As an aside, it sounds like your partitions and lettering are all "wonky" If it was my system, I'd back up all of my data, erase all drives and partitions, and start over. I'd make one partition for XP and my XP installed apps (C), then I'd make one partition for Vista and all of the Vista installed apps (D), and then have a separate drive or partition for my data files.

I don't know whether or not it'll make your drive C: but it will for sure work no matter what letter is using, as long as it's the index drive.

Thanks for the info.

Currently my D: partition is primary, and E: is logical, is this bad?

Thanks

This drive is currently not bootable too, at what point during the install does windows create a boot.ini file,etc and all its gubbins?

Thanks

Back