Windows idea (Force delete)

Hiyruu

2[H]4U
When you right-click a file that you want to delete, there should be regular delete, and then 'Force delete', which closes all handles to the target file, thus allowing it to be deleted. Often explorer.exe will have handles to random files that you just want to delete, but you get that annoying msg that 'it's being used by another program'.

I don't get it? There's no 'force delete' on the right-click option. Can you show a screenshot or if there's an actual combination of keys to press while deleting it?

-J.

Is this just an idea you'd like to see? Or are you using some sort of "tweak" program that allows such?
If I read your post correctly, and don't assume I have, :D it sounds like merely an idea you have?

Shift-delete is just as easy, and I'm glad its obscure. Think of now many n00bs are saved by the recycle bin.

Shift delete bypasses the recycle bin, yes. But does it do that if the program is still in use? Odd, after all these years of using shift delete, I never noticed. Have you? :)

Papa-Ming said:
Shift delete bypasses the recycle bin, yes. But does it do that if the program is still in use? Odd, after all these years of using shift delete, I never noticed. Have you? :)
If a program is holding a lock, it usually is for good reason. Those who can judge if the lock is justified usually know how to delete the file.

Out of curiosity in the same vein, M11, do you actually keep anything in the Recycle bin?
I never have. Since I chucked it in the trash in the first place, it annoys me to keep it around. Why I've always used shift delete . And I always reduce the size of my bin. Since they're ridiculous with hugh hard drives. Anyway curious, do you?

I am talking about the error msg: "cannot delete, file is being used by another process".

Yes, I see that you were. That's what I was generally asking, not having noticed it with shift delete.

However, to the message you mention...I normally wait a bit till the proggie is finished. And simply try delete again. Works for me. But perhaps others can give you a more precise answer. Well really, M11 already did.

:)

Hiyruu said:
I am talking about the error msg: "cannot delete, file is being used by another process".

I don't think that you would generally want this to happen. If the while deleting the file you get the above message then some other program has that whole file loaded into memory or the file is partially loaded into memory (partially paged in).

If you were to delete that file you would cause problems with that program, especially if that file was only partially paged into memory.

Like M11 stated before, most ppl who can decipher which process has handles to a particular file can then figure out how to delete it.

BTW: close the processes that have open handles then you can delete the file.

Well when DC has a movie I want to rename locked in I have to use ProcessExplorer to go in and kill the handle. The program doesn't need it, its just shitty coding that doesn't want to let go of the file. I would love a force delete.

My favorite way to delete open files is either process explorer or setting an NTFS deny everyone, then remove the entry and delete. That will also invalidate all handles.

Stinger836 said:
Well when DC has a movie I want to rename locked in I have to use ProcessExplorer to go in and kill the handle. The program doesn't need it, its just shitty coding that doesn't want to let go of the file. I would love a force delete.

DC does that because it has to refer to the file that it is writing to somehow. If you change the filename while it is still dling then how is it supposed to know which file to write to?

No these are files that are done downloading. And by done I mean have been in the folder for over a day...when I go to move them Windows bitches, so I go to process explorer and kill the handle problem fixed. DC just doesn't let go of the file, same goes for eMule and BT at times.

Stinger836 said:
No these are files that are done downloading. And by done I mean have been in the folder for over a day...when I go to move them Windows bitches, so I go to process explorer and kill the handle problem fixed. DC just doesn't let go of the file, same goes for eMule and BT at times.
You using Overnet/EDonkey? :p

Sometimes eDonkey is good for things that are hard to find elsewhere...like umm peoples manifestos...yes manifestos

Stinger836 said:
Sometimes eDonkey is good for things that are hard to find elsewhere...like umm peoples manifestos...yes manifestos
LOL :p

i know what you are talking about, like when you get a file and program x is using that file for something, but you dont know what program x is, so you cannot delete the file

i would also like to have a force delete button. i think linux has something similar to this where it closes all the programs that are using a file that you want to delete.

Wouldn't Longhorn have that *similar* type of thing? With the Force-Kill option?

Edit: Sorry, idiotic post.

-J.

Do you know why you can't delete the file (what has the lock on it)? You could try it in safe mode, but that will likely cause problems in normal mode. Whatever program has the file open will try to open it again in a normal boot, and likely generate an error because it's not there.

This is the whole point behind file handles, and you just want to bypass all that? :confused:

That doesn't sound very safe unless you know what your doing.

Can you imagine a tool that bypasses file handles in a 'users' hands?!? :eek:

does works fine for me. just open up a command prompt, navagate to the folder and delete it, just make sure whatever is holding the file doesnt actually need it or you will run into problems.

my biggest problem is deleting video files in xp. i click on them and it goes and gets the preview. Then when i hit delete it says "file in use" because wmp is still generating the thumbnail. grrr.

unhappy_mage said:
my biggest problem is deleting video files in xp. i click on them and it goes and gets the preview. Then when i hit delete it says "file in use" because wmp is still generating the thumbnail. grrr.
Windows XP has a feature built in for identifying media types and displaying thumbnails. When XP tries to do this to a Divx file, it fails to do so and hangs on it contunally attempting to read it for information. The fix for this is to disable XPs functionality to read movie information
Open regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}
Delete InProcServer32

It should be noted though that once you do this the feature in XP in which data from movies is read will no longer function (you will still be able to play movie files without a problem though).

Hiyruu said:
I don't see a problem with that.
Hehe, do you/have you supported users? ;)

Maybe if it was a hidden option like a shift-del, and they never knew about it...

inuse.exe may be helpful. It's mainly for updating inuse files, but see if it helps. Otherwise, safemode is the preferred option.

Good luck

That is not available AFIAK. You need to know the program calling the file and stop that, at least that is the 'proper' way of doing things. It's not the most effective, but you will 'learn' more by doing it that way. What is the file being locked?

Back