Windows Home server

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
Somebody tell me why I need it?

For the life of me, I can't think of a single thing it can do that a regular OS like XP or Vista can't. I've poked around in it and don't see anything particularly useful. So what exact can on do with it that justifies the expense?

TIA

I would suggest you check out this thread in the Data Storage forum.

The main thing I would point out is that your network only sees folders, not drives. The server handles distribution of your data. So adding space is as easy as just adding a drive and the server handles the load. It also does auto-backups of up to 10 pc's on your network and tons of other features. I moved to WHS coming from a Samba background and I have never been happier with a file server solution.

I would suggest you check out this thread in the Data Storage forum.

The main thing I would point out is that your network only sees folders, not drives. The server handles distribution of your data. So adding space is as easy as just adding a drive and the server handles the load. It also does auto-backups of up to 10 pc's on your network and tons of other features. I moved to WHS coming from a Samba background and I have never been happier with a file server solution.

Thanks, this was what I was looking for.

Back