Windows Home Server or Windows 2008 Server

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by pc1x1, Sep 26, 2009.

1. pc1x1

pc1x1 [H]ard|Gawd

I recently decided to play with the Server OS's again, I have been mostly using XP Pro for these functions, since its a local server, and mostly just used for file sharing, and as a download box (anti virus updates, etc).

Should I look into Windows Home Server or Windows Server 2008.

I have access to both OS's, just need to choose one.

Also will my legacy Windows XP Apps, work on either one? Thanks.

2. Deadjasper

Deadjasper [H]ard|Gawd

Same situation here. I decided to go with Server 2k3. HS is based on SMS and I absolutely hate the concept. 2k3 is blazing fast and easy to config for most uses.

3. vischo

vischo Gawd

Install Server 2008 w/ Hyper V and have both Server 08 and WHS (as a VM).

Windows Home Server is a really great product. Not only do you have quick and easy file sharing, storage, replication but the backup feature is really awesome.

4. DeaconFrost

DeaconFrost [H]ardForum Junkie

No one else is going to be able to answer this question for you. You need to decide what your uses and plans for the server are. That will give you a clear answer, because Server 2008 and HS aren't an apples to apples comparison.

5. pc1x1

pc1x1 [H]ard|Gawd

Well no one can make my decision but they can help me make an educated one, so I disagree, and thanks to those that answered.

Since its mainly used for file sharing and media playback, from what I am reading, Home Server should be easer to use, but if I can't make up my mind, I'll stick with Windows XP, its works great hehehe, I would only upgrade to play with "new" features..

6. vischo

vischo Gawd

Are you going to be using a dedicated box?

7. pc1x1

pc1x1 [H]ard|Gawd

By Dedicated box, you mean dedicated server, Yes theres one completely built computer that acts as the server, its not anyone's computer. I am not hosting websites, or anything like that though, intra net only.

8. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ardOCP Motherboard Editor

If you are just storing files then Windows Server 2008 is probably more than you need. WHS isn't a bad product but it is much more limited in terms of what it can do. If you don't plan on leveraging Active Directory or anything along those lines and just have it serve files then WHS is probably the way you should go. This is especially true if you need it to interface with media center and media center extenders. It is my understanding that Windows Server 2008 doesn't do that well. I am unsure about the R2 version of it as I have yet to try using it for that.

9. nitrobass24

nitrobass24 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2009

Sounds like WHS would be a good fit.

Easy file sharing, backup, website, media streaming. It can pretty much do it all.

2008 R2 is great also but for most home users the features that it adds are just not useful.