Windows Home Server: My Hardware Setup

StarsFan4Life

Limp Gawd
The current setup I have is as follows:

* CoolerMaster Elite 330 Case
* Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G motherboard
* AMD X2 AM2 BE 2400 2.3GHZ
* 4GB Crucial pc2-6400 (2x 2gb)
* 1 Samsung 80gb SATA (Operating System)
* 1x 1TB Seagate SATA 3.0GB/s

I received my 120 day trial of WHS yesterday and plan to install it on this setup. Will I be able to find all the correct drivers needed to run it on this system? Any suggestions during install/setup of the OS? I have another Samsung 80gb to match the one I currently have. Would it be effective to run the OS on a RAID setup, while all my media is on the 1TB drive alone, not on a RAID setup?

I was also wondering if it is possible to run this Windows Server Connector on machines "outside" my own network and run weekly backups (like my mother and fathers computer's 300 miles away). If so, how do I go about doing so?

You might find this info useful. WHS does not use raid it uses "Drive Extender"
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...cc-b85f-45fe-8c5c-f103c894a5e2&DisplayLang=en

And under normal raid setups the data drive is the one being raided not the os drive. The os can be reloaded but if the data drive dies it's lost. This however doesn't pertain to WHS - the more disks the merrier with WHS because it copies data from one drive to another for backups.

From what I read here backing up to a WHS over the internet is possible using VPN (but not supported). An online backup service like Mozy seems like it would be a better solution for your parents.

One minor correction here. WHS does not have, by default, data redundancy. If the backup is on a drive that dies, the backup will be lost.

However you can specify items be "mirrored" individually. This will allow you to have the data on at least two drives at the same time.

You might find this info useful. WHS does not use raid it uses "Drive Extender"
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...cc-b85f-45fe-8c5c-f103c894a5e2&DisplayLang=en

And under normal raid setups the data drive is the one being raided not the os drive. The os can be reloaded but if the data drive dies it's lost. This however doesn't pertain to WHS - the more disks the merrier with WHS because it copies data from one drive to another for backups.

One minor correction here. WHS does not have, by default, data redundancy. If the backup is on a drive that dies, the backup will be lost.

However you can specify items be "mirrored" individually. This will allow you to have the data on at least two drives at the same time.

Well, I do plan to do offsite backups (basically if I do backup's of PC's, I will then upload these to my server at the Planet for data redundancy) can I move these backup files around and if my drive crashes, I reload the OS on a new drive and move these backup files back to my local server?

make sure you have your lan drivers handy on a usb stick or cd.. That's the only hangup I had on my install which was wierd becuase it was intel pro1000 nic which is very common..

and if I remember right it wouldnt let me use a usb key.. i had to burn the drivers to a disc if i remember.

good luck and have fun...

I'd try to ditch the 80 gig for a larger drive too

WHS is built on Server 2003, so if it has drivers you are set. I've been running WHS since it was in beta.

No, computers 300 miles away will not be backed up by WHS. It will only backup computers are your internal network. Though they could log in and store files on WHS.

WHS does not use raid and raid is unsupported. You can enable duplication on a share by share basis which ensures your data exists on two different drives.

Backups of PC's on your internal network must be restored directly from the server. What I do is store all my files, music, photos, videos, etc. on the server and not on the actual desktops. I mount the shares on my desktops and my apps use the data as if it were local. If my desktop dies I haven't lost any data. If I lose the backup itself on the server I really haven't lost any data, just time to manually restore stuff. My photos, music, videos, etc. are all on duplicated shares. And I backup the server itself to an external. So essentially I have 3 copies of my music, 3 copies of my photos and 3 copies of my videos.

Back