Windows has screwed me over for the last time!!!

Bio Hazord

Limp Gawd
I am just getting fed up with windows errors left and right reformats work for a little bit but I don’t have the time to do it every month or so :mad: .

So now I am doing one more reformat and if anything screws up this time I am just moving straight to Linux so that is why I am here. I want to know what you all think is a good Linux distributor and maybe a noobs guide on installing it. I have had a little experience with Linux with my slackware 9.1 server but I didn’t configure much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Well, I seriously don't understand how people can have so many troubles with Windows and think Linux is the solution. If you have to reformat and reinstall windows on a monthly basis, there might be something funny about what you're doing. Time for some re-evaluation.

Anyways...I almost always recommend Gentoo Linux. An install procedure for Gentoo is pretty long and involved; expect to be installing it for the better part of a whole day if you do a Stage 1 (bootstrapping, system compilation, and another bootstrap, then program compilation, then configuration). Stage 2 skips the bootstrapping (which takes several hours on even fast comps). Stage 3 doesn't really involve systemwide compilation, just configuration and program installs (which can be sped up with GRP).

Anyways, a pretty comprehensive install guide for Gentoo is located at www.gentoo.org.

Gentoo is not the best Linux distro to learn on because of the slow install time and difficulty configuring some things. Expect to install the OS a couple times before you understand how it all works.

Personally I would recommend Debian or Redhat as a good place to start. Redhat probably is more friendly to beginners as it is so widely used.

I'm running Gentoo, and absolutely love it. My first install was on a Sun Ultra 10, and took about a week to get it to a working (although not completely point). Minor issues here and there, but that was part of the learning curve.

I just did this box that I'm working on now last week, and it took maybe a day and half to get it to a point where I was happy. There's probably a few things I still need to compile here and there, I just haven't had the need for them yet, and will when it becomes necessary.

In both cases, I compiled from Stage 1. I figured it was the best learning experience.

If you're new though, I'd probably start of with RedHat or Mandrake or SuSe. Just for a feel of it. If you want to get more advanced, then go with Gentoo.

Just IMHO, of course. :) But, much of the problems I've solved with this current install have been from knowing where to look for answers, mixed in with a little past experience, and not being afraid to ask questions when something is driving me nuts. :)

Good luck!

I recommend going to DOS 3.11 .... it won't let you down. Its super stable because its been out for a while now... so they were able to work the kinks out of it. And hey, it will save you some money, you won't need a mouse or a large color monitor.

Its just a little funny, how i can have windows XP run perfectly... never a problem.... computer never crashes....... and you can have so many problems. Eaither human error or just incompadible hardware / software. ^_^ ill put my bet on the first option. :D

ANyway, yea,,, i don't recommend Linux because its a GUI.... it will also crash.... and seeing as how your windows crashes so much, i will venture a guess and say your linux will crash as well..... no matter which distro. Its just simply that you don't seem to know how to get a stable system yet............. once you find out how to make a stable system, it does'nt really matter if you go linux or windows. neither will crash unless its a blue moon monday [and even then you can blame it on cosmic radiation that changed a 0 to a 1 in the memory].

As BillLeeLee said,
Well, I seriously don't understand how people can have so many troubles with Windows and think Linux is the solution. If you have to reformat and reinstall windows on a monthly basis, there might be something funny about what you're doing. Time for some re-evaluation.

there's always another side to the story that we will never hear ^_^

~Hope this helps

DOS 3.11 4Ever :D

Actually, I consider Gentoo to be one of the best learning experiences when dealing with Linux. It doesn't have a convenient little GUI or prepackaged installer, and forces you to work with the command line and get accustomed to it while learning some commands. You also get to configure and compile the kernel, always something good to know. You get to work with bootloader configuration, fdisk partitioning, file system creation, control over what you want installed, system configuration, x configs, and the power of Portage and emerge.

Gentoo was one of the first distros I installed and used, and I've stuck with it (though my first *nix experience was with Tru64 Unix on an Alpha :D ).

And towert7, you're right, just some things we don't know and may never know. ;)

Unless you were using Windows 9x/ME, you shouldn't be having as many problems with Windows. With XP, I've had uptimes of months on end, only having to reboot when critical updates are installed or shutting down when I have to move the comp. To date, the only BSOD I had in Windows XP was caused by Kerio Person Firewall 4. Similarly, I've had the same uptimes in Linux, but in my experiences, both have been performing perfectly well and have been stable for me.
And I'm someone who likes to tweak and configure the hell out of a system, exploring every nook and cranny of the OS, installing and reinstalling and uninstalling different software. In Linux, I've installed dozens of programs just to try to them out, then uninstalled them because they weren't as good as I thought. In Windows, I've installed a bunch of software as well, and I usually use experimental software and betas and alphas.

Here at the office we have the screen print from one of our win2k servers that was up for over 300 days only reason it went down was to put some more ram in it. It is to bad we had to kill it, I could of handled a little lag time for the team ;). On a linux note our web server was up for over two years when we shut it down for more ram as well.

Yes, same thing I was thinking. 300 days uptime means you're open to a lot of security holes. It's not like Linux where you don't have to reboot after installing new software and patches.

Back