"Windows has recovered from a serious error" at login

I get this message every now and again when I start up and log in. This was in the details of the report:

C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini112204-02.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\NICKGR~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml

Any ideas, or is windows just being, well, windows?

typically that only happens the first time you boot up after a blue screen. is your machine shutting down properly?

Sounds like something is crashing...either the program or a driver is having problems. I got that message when I had the "simulated card death" issues....a driver install fixed everything.

goto start->run->"msconfig"

then go into Startup tab and disable anything that looks fishy.

Fishy things were:

SHSTAT
tbmon
qttask
NEWDOT~2
UpdaterUI

I don't want to disable anything important, so are any of those not nasty looking?

qttask is for quicktime, but its safe to disable. You can always reenable you know, so if something breaks, just recheck the box and reboot. I'd disable all of those.

Disable automatically reboot on critical error.

Right-click my computer, properties, advanced, setting (under start and recovery), uncheck automatically restart. This will allow you to see the BSODs, since the computer won't reboot. I don't like how MS set this by default.

You can also check the event viewers for the errors.

We need the information from the BSOD, if you see the screen, tell us the information in the STOP: line, the error name (will look like IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, all words seperated by underscores) and the file name, if it lists one.

There is also a member who can analyze the dump files, if needed. Frequently BSODs are bad drivers, or RAM, but could be a slew of other things.

Back